Women - how do you get through your time of the month?

Replies

• bexcobham
    bexcobham Posts: 107

Yep! I also have at least 2 nights where I wake up in a sweat at 3:45am and can't get back to sleep, regardless of when I went to bed or how much exercise I did the day before. This has happened the past few months and I never quite associated the two until recently--apparently insomnia is another fun symptom of PMS when estrogen levels drop off.

Would it be cheeky to ask your age? I'm 37 and started to notice this about 5 or 6 years ago. My feet feel like they are burning and I have to stick them in cold water. Do you think it could be the perimenopause or at least gearing up for it?
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member

Yep! I also have at least 2 nights where I wake up in a sweat at 3:45am and can't get back to sleep, regardless of when I went to bed or how much exercise I did the day before. This has happened the past few months and I never quite associated the two until recently--apparently insomnia is another fun symptom of PMS when estrogen levels drop off.

Would it be cheeky to ask your age? I'm 37 and started to notice this about 5 or 6 years ago. My feet feel like they are burning and I have to stick them in cold water. Do you think it could be the perimenopause or at least gearing up for it?

Haha no it's ok, I'm 28. This was the article I had read on insomnia.
    http://www.webmd.com/women/pms/features/why-pms-gives-you-insomnia
    Apparently at least 67% of women report disturbed sleep in this time of their menstrual cycle, not necessarily related to perimenopause or anything like that.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Another than maybe an increased sweet tooth, my actual hunger levels don't really raise up, just what kind of food I prefer to eat changes. However, I have a chocolate protein shake almost everyday of my life since I discovered it and its like cheating but not. Taste like a yummy chocolate malt, and has 40g of protein =3

Also to the ladies talking about sleep insomnia during that time of the month. I don't think it is menopausal, I have had sleep insomnia since my first period during that time of the month, and I'm 24 now still suffering from it.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    I talked to my chiropractor about this; I speculated that women need more calories due to menstruation/impending menstruation. He said that's not actually the case, but that our adrenal glands get off-kilter since our stress is higher, so we *feel* like we need to eat more. This has helped me; I tell myself that I don't actually need more food, everything's fine, etc. I'm taking rhodiola ginseng to even out my adrenals (and anxiety), and I've also been off sugar for a month or so. All of this is helping me not to eat a ton during my cycle.
    Lol don't take nutrition from a chiropractor! Your BMR actually does raise *slightly* with your cycle (300 calories extra max, though).
    Honestly, my PMS hunger demon isn't with me for more than a few days each month--so I eat more on those days and continue working as as usual (although I generally feel more tired and weaker, making it difficult). Bloating happens regardless, and it goes away in a few days.
    Usually I crave protein the most, but it varies. Just keep track of your calories and make sure you're not going overboard.

Lmao I second the don't take advice from a chiro!

As for me.. Periods are normal in terms of length and content. I don't get them often.. Doctors suspect super early menopause will happen before I'm 30. I get hot flashes just hours before it starts. The irregularities blow cause I get really bloated up to a month before I get TOM and mood swings also kick in. I listen to my body.. It tells me I want something sweet so I feed it something reasonable. I continue to work out like it was any other day. I used to have really bad back pain before and during TOM but that has subsided since being active.

I tell myself that this is the best time to work out. After all, once its gone - the scale goes down and all my hard work shows :) As for eating, like I mentioned I give in a little but I won't go out and buy McDonalds
  • bexcobham
    Thanks you two!

The internet can be dangerous when you worry a lot and have access to online medical encyclopaedias.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Does anyone know the science behind why a lot of women get so hungry before their period? We can send men to the moon ffs, surely scientists could come up with something to help with PMS cravings.

Low progesterone + high estrogen -> lower blood sugar. Estrogen peaks around ovulation, and the ruptured follicle starts releasing progesterone. The progesterone modulates the estrogen, so for the remainder of the cycle progesterone dominates. Menses happens when all hormone levels are low. Also, high estrogen -> water retention, which can make Na concentration lower, which may be why some women crave salt or salty carbs.

Hunger and water retention during menses has always confused me, because hormone levels suggest the water retention and hunger should be right after ovulation, like 8-14 days before menses rather than during menses. Personally, I do have more PMS symptoms at ovulation than menses.
  • bexcobham
    Does anyone know the science behind why a lot of women get so hungry before their period? We can send men to the moon ffs, surely scientists could come up with something to help with PMS cravings.

Low progesterone + high estrogen -> lower blood sugar. Estrogen peaks around ovulation, and the ruptured follicle starts releasing progesterone. The progesterone modulates the estrogen, so for the remainder of the cycle progesterone dominates. Menses happens when all hormone levels are low. Also, high estrogen -> water retention, which can make Na concentration lower, which may be why some women crave salt or salty carbs.

Hunger and water retention during menses has always confused me, because hormone levels suggest the water retention and hunger should be right after ovulation, like 8-14 days before menses rather than during menses. Personally, I do have more PMS symptoms at ovulation than menses.

Yes, it all starts around ovulation for me, with a cracking migraine thrown in for good measure. Thanks a bunch hormones! :-D
  • I wish there was an exclusive womens group to discuss this issue, because I am noticing some strange things here and there, and never really want to ask here out in the open. If anyone has a group on here, PLEASE let me know!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    There is actually a chart that tells you what foods your cravings mean your body needs. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but here's a look:

Cravings.jpg
  • bexcobham
    I wish there was an exclusive womens group to discuss this issue, because I am noticing some strange things here and there, and never really want to ask here out in the open. If anyone has a group on here, PLEASE let me know!

I dunno, but can we start one here if there isn't one already?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
  • bexcobham
    rBTLEGh.jpg?1

That would be useful!
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    There is actually a chart that tells you what foods your cravings mean your body needs. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but here's a look:

Cravings.jpg

What if I crave sardines?
  • l3long
    Lately I crave sardines a lot :-P
  • mccindy72

Cravings.jpg

What if I crave sardines?

Pretty sure that's an oily snack.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Yes, it all starts around ovulation for me, with a cracking migraine thrown in for good measure. Thanks a bunch hormones! :-D
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    Bummer. Hope you feel better soon.
  • bexcobham
    I just had a couple of bowls of cereal as a treat, :-( I'll workout like a cazy mofo and start again tomorrow.
  • l3long
    I also crave olives and beef. Do you think it is the iron I crave or the oil?
  • mccindy72
    annasophia-robb-the-carrie-diaries-frustrated-funny.gif
  • bexcobham
    Have you been spying on me? :D