Sleep Deprived

Options
2»

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I wonder whether white noise works for adults? It was really helpful when my son was little at getting him to sleep through..

I have sleep deprivation - but its called a 'toddler' lol
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yeah, medication isn't a great plan and you can't take it in the long term. New evidence suggests it can cause cognitive decline in older patients, so that can't be good. Then there is the issue of Z drugs and benzos being addictive and rebound insomnia. In other words, you end up worse off than before you started.

I can't agree more! I've had several go-rounds with benzos that were nearly the death of me. And I have been on Z drugs for 5 years, but they no longer work for me, so I am back where I started. Thank you for posting this!

No probs. They did me more harm than good. I am off to see a neurologist soon about a sleep disorder and am really hoping he doesn't try to give me clonazepam. Bezos are extremely addictive. That's why they now prescribe them and Z drugs for 4 weeks max at a time in the UK. Once you get a good nights sleep from meds, it's so hard to go back to doing it the natural way. I think it's ruined it for me for lif. :-(

Ah, yes, clonazepam. That's what did me in. And I, too, feel ruined for life since I was introduced to that and the Z drugs, as well as other psych drugs that help me to sleep. I just want to be able to put my head on the pillow and drift off into nothingness for 8 hours and wake up feeling rejuvenated. I think I will incorporate this dream into my goals. :)
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I wonder whether white noise works for adults? It was really helpful when my son was little at getting him to sleep through..

I have sleep deprivation - but its called a 'toddler' lol

I have slept with a white noise machine for YEARS. I can't sleep in total silence. I think that came from living across from train tracks for a year, then living for 2 years in North Miami. After that, sleeping in silence had me hearing my brain cells fight with each other.
  • puffinbrae
    puffinbrae Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Been through sleep deprivation at different times with toddlers, caring for aged parents, menopause, depression etc. I have an e-reader for when I'm wakeful. Also use audiobooks with earphones.....frequently drop off before the story ends .
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You are not alone!! I have been searching for answers to my overwhelming fatigue for years. I have just noticed recently, the more tired I am, the more I want to eat, not hungry, but just want to eat. I always thought I was an emotional eater, but now I realize it's only when I'm fighting sleep, the harder I have to fight to stay awake, the more I want to eat. I finally got a sleep study and have found that I have a form of apnea, but only during the REM stage. They clocked me at falling asleep in 1 minute and 50 seconds. I was shocked. I knew I could fall asleep anytime, anywhere but under 2 minutes, that was a little surprising. Now I'm fighting with insurance to get a CPAP to see if that helps. You may want to look into a sleep study. I always knew my sleep was getting disrupted, but I just never knew how much. Here's some things I do though that help me sleep somewhat better sometimes. I wear earplugs although sometimes they make my ears hurt and I pull them out in the middle of the night, keep my room as dark and cool as possible and try to keep the same bedtime and rise time as much as possible and try to clear my mind before bed (also difficult sometimes). I still suck at sleeping, but every night I give it my best shot, I try not to stress about it and hope to wake up one of these days not begging for more time to sleep. Good luck, I hope you find an answer.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Man oh man...we all suffer!

Thanks for your tips. Def going to try hard tonight to pay attention to my sleep and to try to clear my mind.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    ps. Calcium magnesium is all natural and it helps with sleep and jittery legs!
  • bexcobham
    bexcobham Posts: 107
    Options
    You are not alone!! I have been searching for answers to my overwhelming fatigue for years. I have just noticed recently, the more tired I am, the more I want to eat, not hungry, but just want to eat. I always thought I was an emotional eater, but now I realize it's only when I'm fighting sleep, the harder I have to fight to stay awake, the more I want to eat. I finally got a sleep study and have found that I have a form of apnea, but only during the REM stage. They clocked me at falling asleep in 1 minute and 50 seconds. I was shocked. I knew I could fall asleep anytime, anywhere but under 2 minutes, that was a little surprising. Now I'm fighting with insurance to get a CPAP to see if that helps. You may want to look into a sleep study. I always knew my sleep was getting disrupted, but I just never knew how much. Here's some things I do though that help me sleep somewhat better sometimes. I wear earplugs although sometimes they make my ears hurt and I pull them out in the middle of the night, keep my room as dark and cool as possible and try to keep the same bedtime and rise time as much as possible and try to clear my mind before bed (also difficult sometimes). I still suck at sleeping, but every night I give it my best shot, I try not to stress about it and hope to wake up one of these days not begging for more time to sleep. Good luck, I hope you find an answer.

My dad just got a CPAP. He feels like a new man. Hope you get it!
  • puffinbrae
    puffinbrae Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Been through sleep deprivation at different times with toddlers, caring for aged parents, menopause, depression etc. I have an e-reader for when I'm wakeful. Also use audiobooks with earphones.....frequently drop off before the story ends .

No kidding - try the 'bed time story'. It just might work for you too.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options

My dad just got a CPAP. He feels like a new man. Hope you get it!

Thanks! Me too, I'd love to feel a new man, I mean feel like a new man.
  • bexcobham
    bexcobham Posts: 107
    Options
    He said it has made so much difference to his quality of life.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with insomnia but I'm on a medication for another issue that has the lovely side effect of helping me fall asleep.

In my previous research I've seen smartphone apps that are specifically developed for easing you into sleep. You might look into one of those. I know that some of them involve some kind of light therapy. Melatonin can help to regulate your circadian rythmn so you might use that in conjection with a routine of going to bed at the same time every night. Avoid electronic stimulation in the few hours before you go to bed. That means the computer or TV, most specifically. That's hard for most of us, but it's worth trying for a few weeks and see if it helps.

I suffer from insomnia and have a slew of apps that have relaxing sounds, etc. that work wonders for me. If interested message me.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I go through periods of not being able to sleep. I have
    -cut back on caffeine, stopping caffeine at around 4 pm
    -no gadgets while in bed-- computer, ipad, phone etc.
    -completely dark in the bedroom -there is lots of light coming from the TV, router, phone, blinds etc.
    -make the room a little cold and have a down blanket
    -go to sleep around the same time every night even on the weekends

To go back to sleep I will
    -stretch in bed in the dark, it helps me relax
    -massage my calves. it increases blood to my feet relaxing them
    -meditate or try not to think of the million things I have to do.
    -go out on the balcony, so peaceful at 2 am

It is funny. I remember when Hubs used to read to me. I would doze off and miss the end of the short story all of the time. It irritated him.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I go through periods of not being able to sleep. I have
    -cut back on caffeine, stopping caffeine at around 4 pm
    -no gadgets while in bed-- computer, ipad, phone etc.
    -completely dark in the bedroom -there is lots of light coming from the TV, router, phone, blinds etc.
    -make the room a little cold and have a down blanket
    -go to sleep around the same time every night even on the weekends

To go back to sleep I will
    -stretch in bed in the dark, it helps me relax
    -massage my calves. it increases blood to my feet relaxing them
    -meditate or try not to think of the million things I have to do.
    -go out on the balcony, so peaceful at 2 am

It is funny. I remember when Hubs used to read to me. I would doze off and miss the end of the short story all of the time. It irritated him.

hehe thank you! I need someone to read to me!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this is the right section to post..but Im finding it hard to control my eating ..and just dragging all the time. I know that its probably due to my lack of sleep. I average about 4-6 hours a night..and sometimes interupted sleep. My question is..

what are your tips to fall asleep? I wont/havent tried sleeping pills because I just feel like if something happens, I will not wake up..I know I know WEIRD. lol..

What are any helpful tips to sleep??

Please help!!!!!!!!

I was diagnosed with insomnia after having a sleep study done. My sleep efficiency is around 30% and I wake up on average 36 times a night. I have very disrupted sleep and I rarely go into deep REM sleep.

My sleep doctor suggests:

-using the bedroom for sleep only
    -waking up at the same time each day
    -NO NAPS!!!
    -don't use electronics in bed (i.e. computer, phone, iPad, TV)
    -sleep in a dark room (temperature is also important)
    -don't eat close to bedtime
    -when you wake up in the morning, get right out of bed. Don't "lounge" in bed
    -use a sound machine
    -limit caffeine and alcohol consumption