Trouble staying under 1500 sodium

Options
2»

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    So don't eat packaged foods...

it's not always as simple as that. i watch my sodium levels because too much makes my feet swell. i'm a firm believer in making my own foods instead of pre packaged stuff however you still have to watch certain things. salad dressings for one loaded with sodium so i use olive oil and red wine vinegar. hubby makes his pasta sauce using crushed tomatoes you'd be surprised how much sodium is in a 28 oz can. since he uses 2 cans for his sauce i buy no salt version and he adds it in. canned beans (navy, pinto, great northern) all have sodium in it. yes dry beans are way better and cheaper. those seasoning packets are LOADED with salt i never ever ever buy these things. almost everything has some amount of sodium in it not just packaged.

Nope, you're still talking about packaged foods. Canned crushed tomatoes, canned beans, and bottled salad dressings are packaged. There's no salt added to fresh tomatoes, dried beans or oil and vinegar...So yes, it is that simple. I have low blood pressure and need to take salt tablets to raise my bp. Because I make everything from scratch, I find it difficult to consume over 1500mg of sodium per day.

you realize we are almost saying the same thing. i was simply pointing out that when someone says prepackaged foods it not just as simple as avoiding those frozen meals, quick fix frozen veggie things, boxed meals (which is typically what most people think about when you way prepackaged foods).

you also have to watch out for things like salad dressing, canned beans and even crushed tomatoes which is why when my hubby makes homemade sauce i buy no salt crushed tomatoes (he prefers to only use fresh tomatoes when they are in season and we buy them from the farm).
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    So don't eat packaged foods...

it's not always as simple as that. i watch my sodium levels because too much makes my feet swell. i'm a firm believer in making my own foods instead of pre packaged stuff however you still have to watch certain things. salad dressings for one loaded with sodium so i use olive oil and red wine vinegar. hubby makes his pasta sauce using crushed tomatoes you'd be surprised how much sodium is in a 28 oz can. since he uses 2 cans for his sauce i buy no salt version and he adds it in. canned beans (navy, pinto, great northern) all have sodium in it. yes dry beans are way better and cheaper. those seasoning packets are LOADED with salt i never ever ever buy these things. almost everything has some amount of sodium in it not just packaged.

Nope, you're still talking about packaged foods. Canned crushed tomatoes, canned beans, and bottled salad dressings are packaged. There's no salt added to fresh tomatoes, dried beans or oil and vinegar...So yes, it is that simple. I have low blood pressure and need to take salt tablets to raise my bp. Because I make everything from scratch, I find it difficult to consume over 1500mg of sodium per day.

you realize we are almost saying the same thing. i was simply pointing out that when someone says prepackaged foods it not just as simple as avoiding those frozen meals, quick fix frozen veggie things, boxed meals (which is typically what most people think about when you way prepackaged foods).

you also have to watch out for things like salad dressing, canned beans and even crushed tomatoes which is why when my hubby makes homemade sauce i buy no salt crushed tomatoes (he prefers to only use fresh tomatoes when they are in season and we buy them from the farm).

No, we are not talking about the same thing. Bottled salad dressings, canned beans and crushed tomatoes ARE PACKAGED FOODS. I was simply repeating what you said in order to point out your errors.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where the misunderstanding is here. Water "balance it out" for me. I also have HBP and intake a lot of sodium every day. I don’t recall stating the sodium level changes due to exercise. The sodium level changes based on the foods consumed. Sodium holds water weight. Drinking water balances out that sodium and my weight goes down. In my case, I drink 64oz. of water a day and do not worry about the sodium because I have no intentions of limiting my sodium intake any more than I already have done. My doctor does have any problems with it.

That's the oversight. Water is only helping you flush the sodium out, not balancing it. I think that if you ask your doctor for clarification he'll explain that Yes you should be drinking plenty of water because if you don't then the sodium is retained in your body. He'll most likely also tell you that No, water doesn't balance it out at all and that you should be monitoring your intake to the levels he's outlined for you, not trying to balance it out with water.

As with anything posted on an internet forum, a person should always follow what their doctor specifies for their individual needs. I can't give anyone medical advice here, but I will share what I know and encourage them to discuss it more with their doc. :flowerforyou:

As I previously tried to state, I have discussed this issue with my doctor. She agrees that water does balance out the sodium since it does not totally eliminate it from the body. There is still sodium left after the flushing but the amount is balanced so as not to cause any negative impact on my weight. I agree if a person have concerns then his or her doctor should be consulted. However, I am more concerned about getting the weight off than sodium.
  • lucful
    lucful Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, Hope I didnt start a fire with my rant.
    It's nice for the people that are concerned for weight more than sodium intake in general...but all I was referring to in the original post was more concerning people that actually have health reasons beyond just weight like autoimmune diseases and the like. But I agree, not everyone can just drink water and it be ok.

I like making my own foods, it just sucks when something comes up and I cant do as easy of a choice as others may have available, that's all :)
  • Branstin
    Options
    You didn't start anything. People who have health issues are in a different category in my opinion. Their struggles are a lot different. In many cases, the medication is a more of a culprit then the sodium although high contents of sodium should still be watched. Personally, I would rather chew a piece of rubber than avoid sodium. LOL!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Start cooking all your meals at home. It's really easy to keep your sodium low that way.
  • lucful
    lucful Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Start cooking all your meals at home. It's really easy to keep your sodium low that way.

Yes, got that part thanks :)
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    12 out of my last 30 days I was over my sodium limit. I primarily cook from scratch - very little processed foods here (the majority of my days over the limit are days I ate out...today it was that Reuben I had for lunch. Another day it was Olive Garden...another, Chinese food).

I bake cookies and breads from scratch. My meals at home are from scratch. Rarely anything comes out of a box or a can (unless I canned it at home).

Are you eating out? Are you eating processed or store bought foods? If your primary concern is blood pressure, what other measures have you taken to lower it? Have you or are you losing weight? Can you cut the stress in your life or find a way to process it?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

It's really the only part.. And quite simple.
  • swilkinson0705
    swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have gotten better with my sodium level because I drink water like crazy to balance it out.

Drinking water to balance out sodium intake is not effective. If a doctor tells you to stay at a certain sodium level drinking more water does not make it possible to eat more sodium. That is a false belief.
  • Branstin
    Options
    I have gotten better with my sodium level because I drink water like crazy to balance it out.

Drinking water to balance out sodium intake is not effective. If a doctor tells you to stay at a certain sodium level drinking more water does not make it possible to eat more sodium. That is a false belief.

I don't agree. When my weight increases due to sodium. I balance that out with plenty of water and the weight drops overnight.
  • swilkinson0705
    swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a heart condition that requires I stay on a low sodium diet. I even have to take diuretic's to keep the fluid off so I feel your pain. There are some good recipes on the internet for things like low sodium taco seasoning, low sodium stir fry sauce etc. These are pretty cost effective since you assemble them with spices and things you already have and are not required to by the packaged low sodium options. Eating whole foods as well is a good choice. Ezekiel bread which is gluten free is only 80 mg of sodium a slice and good alternative for bread (if you toast it!) I find it the hardest to stay within my doctors limits when I have to eat out as I have not control over how the food is prepared. Good luck. Just know you are not alone.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The DASH diet website has some good advice and the book has some really tasty recipes. I downloaded the booklet a while back but can't find it anymore on the site.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

It's really the only part.. And quite simple.

Simple if you have the time, perhaps.