Drink mixers...advice please!

Options
Hey, i'm a student just finishing up my final year and have abstained from drinking alcohol for most of the year gave or take a few college nights, special occasions at home :) This has mostly been because i've been focusing on my studies this year and more on my training.
However, coming up to the end of the year now there will be a few celebrations and a holiday coming up and obviously i'm going to enjoy a few drinks, I guess i'm posting this because it is something I have not concerned myself with for so long and it would be interesting to get some opinions on what other people mix with their vodka or whatever, vodka is usually my drink and through uni I went for the diet coke (no surprise there) I still enjoy this drink but i'm wondering is there anything better per say I could be mixing it with

Replies

• ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Diet tonic water with lime or lemon wedge.
  • ravenribbs
    Options
    Iced tea sweetened with splenda, with a splash of blueberry pomegranate juice.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    4 oz organic ginger beer and 1 oz lime juice. Do that with 2 oz Vodka and you have a Moscow Mule. Not a super low calorie drink, but not too "off the charts" either.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My mixer of choice now is diet coke as well - this is a pretty good one as it's virtually calorie free. As for other suggestions, other than diet lemonade etc is soda water (if you're American I think it's called club soda there?) which is healthier choice in terms of additives etc. because it's just carbonated water! Add a squeeze/wedge of lemon/lime to make it taste better. But diet coke is pretty good anyway!

The bigger tip is to watch out for is how much vodka you're putting in each drink! I'm half Polish so have always been used to very generous measures, but I try to make sure I pour single measures now to save on calories. I practiced with water to make sure I knew what a single measure looks like when I'm pouring it by eye! - You can use a scale to practice with water as 1ml water = 1g.
  • ravenribbs
    Options
    4 oz organic ginger beer and 1 oz lime juice. Do that with 2 oz Vodka and you have a Moscow Mule. Not a super low calorie drink, but not too "off the charts" either.

Now THAT sounds tasty!
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When I have one, it's always a shot of vodka, or even whiskey with crystal light raspberry lemonade.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions guys, lemon and limes are good idea to add more to my drinks when im out, was thinking of adding sparkling water and a lemon/lime to vodka, wonder would the vodka taste still be too strong though.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    titos vodka...unsweetned ice tea , lemonade.....Lemon wedge...its called an arnold palmer
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My "go to" is raspberry vodka with diet Sprite/7up if available. Otherwise Diet Coke. Also, blueberry vodka with diet Sprite and a lemon wedge is to die for, and very refreshing in the summer!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I find that mixing vodka with soda, even diet coke (which I love), gives me the WORST hangovers. I think it's all of the sugar, combined with the alcohol (more sugar), that leaves me feeling terrible the next day.

If I'm going to drink vodka, sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon. (This is much better when you have good quality vodka)
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I find that mixing vodka with soda, even diet coke (which I love), gives me the WORST hangovers. I think it's all of the sugar, combined with the alcohol (more sugar), that leaves me feeling terrible the next day.

If I'm going to drink vodka, sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon. (This is much better when you have good quality vodka)

Yea I think i'm going to give the sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon/lime a try.
    Thanks for all the ideas on this thread though guys, theres loads of ways of mixing it up, i wouldn't drink often especially now as i'm more focused on my training but there is some celebrations ahead with finishing uni and of course I want to enjoy these! :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Tonic water with a splash of POM or cranberry juice.

I've been drinking flavored seltzers (Polar) and some of those might make good mixers, too.