Turning 51 and REALLY serious this time. Anyone else?

Options
Ok, I just went bathing suit shopping and I'm really starting to see the middle age spread. I am going to commit to MFP and stick to it gdmt!! I've never had a weight loss buddy so maybe that would help. Instead of making it a pound loss goal, I want to stick to my 1500 calls per day with at least 30minutes per day of a workout. I would like to do that for 30 days and see how much I lose. I will not weigh myself until that 30 days is up. Then I'll assess, and hopefully, keep going. Anyone want to get serious with me?? Oh, and I'm old!! Just kidding, I'm in great shape and workout a lot, but I guess I just eat too much. But, I am turning 51 and I want to accomplish this weight loss so I can move on with my life!! Anyone in the same boat??

Replies

• msreg08
    msreg08 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    best of luck to you, friend me if you'd like.
  • thanson563
    thanson563 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Add me. Just turned 51 a couple of weeks ago. I was always one of those skinny girls you love to hate. Age caught up with me. I've decided to get serious for the first time in my life. I could use a friend who knows what I'm going through!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm not turning 51 but I am really serious this time!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    51 next month.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Totally with you on the "middle age spread" thing! It can be fought!

A bathing suit is a big part of my motivation, as we have season passes to Six Flags Fiesta Texas, which has a water park, and hotel reservations for Sand Castle Days in South Padre in September. The second part of my motivation is a family history of high blood pressure- for which my parents, sister and brother all take medication. I, on the other hand, exercise and swallow ridiculous amounts of garlic!

Sending you a friend request.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and ready to do this...again. I mean it this time. Something feels different this time. I have never felt so motivated but then again I nevef had fifty or more friends cheering me on.
    I will add you

Cindy
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Y'all can add me too. I turned 55 last month. I have PCOS, am prediabetic (refuse to be diabetic like the rest of the family) and actually even joined a gym with my 20yo, even though he goes with everyone but me. But I am trying to set an example for my boys as they are doomed with diabeties on both side (my ex does not eat correctly for his and also has high blood pressure).
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 something and REALLY serious this time too.
  • deebee36852
    deebee36852 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 56 gained weight since l was put in a power chair but I am bound to be my former body. Happy to be friend to motivate.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Heading towards 56....

At 51...OMG. I know exactly what you are talking about.
    I have gone between serious and not so serious with this website.
    But always come back to it.

Currently down almost 36 lbs and 4" off the waistline. :)
    I really never thought I would be sharing this positive information.
    It's just an amazing feeling.
    And the best part is , I did it with changing my eating habits , lots more water.

Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • Cathy360
    Cathy360 Posts: 6
    Options
    So glad to hear from people around my age. I am turning 52 next month and want to lose the weight and keep it off this time. I am wanting to improve my health. I just started back on MFP after a few months and have gained 10 extra pounds so now need to lose 33 pounds. Count me in as a friend. Together we will can process through our journey with unified determination.
  • esther617
    esther617 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You and anyone else on this thread can add me. When I was turning 51, I wish I had recognized my slide upwards on the scale like you have. I was busy and in the throes of middle age crisis I guess. If I had gotten serious about turning things around and getting back on track then, it would saved me the extra 20-30 lbs to lose now, three years later. But things are going well now and I'd be happy to add you as a friend. My diary is open to friends. We're all in it together!
  • goldenrodfarm
    goldenrodfarm Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am deadly serious, going to be leaving my 50's in July and this weight has to come off. I was never overweight until the last 10 years when I went to working nights, and the 12 hour shifts make it so you don't really have time for much of anything. I also started to eat a much poorer diet then I was accustomed to in other parts of my life. It all adds up to more weight, but I am almost halfway to my goal now!
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and am finally focused on me. I've lived my adult life taking care of kids, husband, work, etc. that I lost sight of me. When I really looked in the mirror, I didn't like who I saw.

Lots of changes later (new job location, divorce, bought my own house), I still focus on kids and grandkids when I visit/talk to them, but now I take my "me" time serious. And that is the biggest part of my life now.

I am back to being me and loving my life again. I love doing this for me and for the achievements I've reached so far. Still have a way to go, but enjoy looking to the future and not dreading it.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Already 51....Ditto!! :flowerforyou:
  • drizzlesugar
    Options
    Hello,

I am 52 years old, I started my fitness pal in August and have lost 45 lbs so far. I am now able to jog 3 miles and never thought I would be able to run, but I am able to do it because of the weight I have lost. I workout 6 days/week, and do weight training with light weights. i try not to eat more that 1500-1700 cal/day, depending on how hard I work out. I still need to lose 15 more lbs. I would love to encourage you along your journey.
    Please add me as a mfp.
    Good luck!
  • Derrickemil
    Derrickemil Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok gang, i am in. Turning 51 and need a realignment. ned to shed some serious poiunds and put this gym membership to use. I joined in january and have not been yet, i blame it on working my 2 jobs. NO MORE EXCUSES
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I started here on my 49th birthday, with the goal of losing 75 lbs by my 50th. Well, I didn't quite make it, but I did lose 50 and felt SO much better. I am shooting for getting another 10 off by my 51st bday in August. It definitely is harder at this age, and those last few pounds are really tough, but you can do it!

Just realize that it won't come off in a month. But if you stick with it, you will see consistent progress. Gone are the days of our 20s when we could eat Tuna and salads for a week and lose 10 pounds. :sad:

But you are already active, and don't have a ton of weight to lose, so go get it done!
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 something and have been serious about this for some time. It does not have to always be about hard work, it can be fun too! Anyone feel free to add me.
  • Cathy360
    Cathy360 Posts: 6
    Options
    Great job at losing the 9 lbs! Keep it up. I am celebrating today also as I have lost 2.2 lbs my first week back tracking on MFP.