How is this possible? Macronutrient Addition Prob.

Options
Alright, I'm struggling to link my image, but basically I'm trying to reach my caloric limit but WAY OVER on practically all my macronutrients….. And when I add up all the macronutrients they hit closer to 3100 calories than the supposed "2850"

Heres the image if you wish to copy and paste it.

2USi7SE

While I'm at it, is it bad going that much over in fiber and sugar if a great deal of it is coming from fruit? I calculated 64g worth of sugar from fruit today.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Alright, I'm struggling to link my image, but basically I'm trying to reach my caloric limit but WAY OVER on practically all my macronutrients….. And when I add up all the macronutrients they hit closer to 3100 calories than the supposed "2850"

Heres the image if you wish to copy and paste it.

2USi7SE

While I'm at it, is it bad going that much over in fiber and sugar if a great deal of it is coming from fruit? I calculated 64g worth of sugar from fruit today.

You almost had it the first time, you just have to change the IMG to img at the beginning and end of the link. IF you quote me you can see what I did.

Double check your entries, someone likely entered some of the values wrong.

No, fiber is more of a minimum. I don't worry about sugar at all, I count carbs, sugar is a carb.
  • white_rushin
    Options

You almost had it the first time, you just have to change the IMG to img at the beginning and end of the link. IF you quote me you can see what I did.

Double check your entries, someone likely entered some of the values wrong.

No, fiber is more of a minimum. I don't worry about sugar at all, I count carbs, sugar is a carb.

Thank you, I also figured out the problem. I had a Quest Bar and Fiber One cereal in there, so officially there is only a certain amount of "net carbs" but MFP felt to include the actual amount of carbs.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Thank you, I also figured out the problem. I had a Quest Bar and Fiber One cereal in there, so officially there is only a certain amount of "net carbs" but MFP felt to include the actual amount of carbs.

Dafuq is a net carb?
  • white_rushin
    Options

Dafuq is a net carb?

I'm not sure if its truthful or not, but supposedly a Quest Bar for example has 22g carbs in it, with 17g of fiber in it. Since fiber is considered a carb, they claim that 22-17 = 4 "active" or "net" carbs.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Sounds like a completely made up marketing ploy. How long as this been a thing? About since the demonization of carbs, I'd imagine
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Net carbs is the term for carbs minus insoluble fiber, since you can't use insoluble fiber for energy it doesn't count.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The idea is that fiber slows down the absorption so your blood sugar doesn't spike, so the fiber carbs you are eating are not going to spike your blood sugar like straight sugar carbs do. I think it's legit for people with insulin resistance.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Some carbs can be used easily by the body and affect your insulin levels. Like when you eat a candy bar and get the sugar high and subsequent crash. Fiber carbs tend to not do that and so companies will deduct them from the total carb count creating a 'net carb'. It can be useful when picking out something that you would like to snack on and don't want that sugar high followed by the crash.
  • DavPul
    Options
    And seriously asking, when did this become a thing? It wasn't a topic in my nutrition studies, and it isn't part of the U.S.A. nutritional guidelines. So who came up with the idea for this stat, and what type of products voluntarily choose to list this information? And to whom are they marketing these products to?

Just took a quick glance at everything in my cabinet, and not a single thing I own is listed with a "net carb" category. WHY ARE MY FOOD PRODUCTS HIDING THIS PERTINENT INFORMATION FROM ME?