Early 30's & need motivation

Options
Hi every1. I am 33 years old but every since I turned 30 my family's genetics kicked in. I can do fairly well with the foods I consume but I love sweet tea :). I have notice if my calorie intake decreases so does the weight, however, I need a push to exercise. I plan to but just cannot seem to get it done. I am not a gym person, although, I do like to walk/run on the track. I would like to know the best toning/muscle building exercises. Feel free to add me. I"m new!

Replies

• blong146
    blong146 Posts: 2
    Options
    stay in a defict lose 10-20 lbs and that will give you the motivation, worked for me and im 41. now i go to the gym 6 days a week and walk/run atleast 3 evenings a week. I have lost 50 lbs in 4 months and currently 13% body fat. stay with it. it take a little time. And keep using MFP.
  • astonish31
    astonish31 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi blong146. My current goal is to lose 20 lbs and continue with that increment until I reach my ideal weight. I have tried the gym so many times but even at the best facilities I cannot stay motivated. I like the outdoors (when exercising) and if I don't exercise while I have that impulse, it doesn't get done. It's sad because I feel great after a good walk/run or 30 min workout. But hey thanks and I'll take your advice.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    On days when you have the motivation to exercise, you can eat a little more. On days when you don't exercise, eat a little less. Just maintain a caloric deficit and you'll lose the weight.
  • astonish31
    astonish31 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks CMB1979 I will keep that in mind. Great job on your met goal.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks CMB1979 I will keep that in mind. Great job on your met goal.

Almost there.... just....10....pounds....more. It'll probably take a year since I lose sooooooo slowly.
  • lukester19
    lukester19 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great to see you have goals. That is the first step on your journey. I hope you succeed!
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Getting the motivation to exercise is really the toughest part, but once you master that, you'll be set.

I'll share a few tricks that I use to get myself motivated:
    1 - Put exercise on the calendar and treat it the same way you'd treat an important meeting
    2 - Get outside -- I can't help but start walking or going for a run once I'm outside and moving
    3 - Do workouts that don't require equipment when you're at home: push-ups, sit-ups, yoga, etc.
    4 - Follow workouts on youtube and make them a part of your routine
    5 - Buy workout clothes that you want to wear... then if you wear them, you might as well work out in them, right?
    6 - Find a coworker or friend who will be your workout buddy, or do walking meetings instead of meetings sitting in conference rooms (ok for 1:1 meetings, not so much for groups)

Hope these help!
  • astonish31
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips and support.