Real Number of Calories Burned...does anyone know?

Options
So, everyone says that the 'calories burned" totals for exercises on MFP are highly exaggerated. The same is also said for most cardio equipment at the gym. I was just reading reviews for HRM watches on Amazon, and again...many say they are inaccurate.

How does someone get a true count of calories burned through exercise?

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I use a Body Media Armband. Best out there...so far.
  • 2Bhealthier2
    2Bhealthier2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the question to this also. I use a fitbit that sinks up to MFP but I do not understand how it decides if I'm burned extra calories or not. Today it shows me earning 80+ calories and I didn't go to the gym and have less than 6000 steps but yesterday I went to the gym and had 8000 steps but showed me loosing 156 calories, go figure....????
  • bryant28408
    bryant28408 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think you will find that a heart rate monitor will give you the most accurate number. I use a polar and love it!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, there is no way to get an absolutely accurate number of calories burned. Weight loss isn't an exact science, so don't sweat it too much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Unless you're hooked up to an indirect calorimeter, it's going to always be an approximation. An indirect calimeter indirectly measures ventilation and the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide by the body. Normally one wears a mask while performing exercise (usually a bike or treadmill test).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    All these typical formulas used are estimations, the best thing is to see if you are seeing any progress with your current set up. If not, re-adjust your calories deficit slightly until you're on track.
  • tefleon
    tefleon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I found that I get different calorie counts from two different websites using the same cycle data; one shows around 450 and then other 650.

I did worry a bit but now I just go with the lower value and hope that it's somewhere in the middle :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    How does someone get a true count of calories burned through exercise?

You don't. Every mechanism for estimating calorie expenditure extrapolates from a measure that can be instrumented, whether that's an overenthusiastic pedometer like a FitBit or an HRM.

So the level of accuracy depends on the method of instrumentation, and the type of exercise you're doing.

The main thing is to be consistent with your mechanism for approximating expenditure, and use that to inform how you account for it. If you're always using the same tool you've at least got consistent ambiguity.If you always use the same method and you lose weight, then that's fine. If the loss isn't at the rate you expect then adjust the approximation up or down.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    there's alot of misc stuff I do on the side to burn cals in my daily ritual I don't log, so I figure it evens out. For instance, I live on the fourth floor: 3 times a day, I go up and down to take my dog out. I also work on the fourth floor and always use the stairs...I probably on avg go up and down those three or four times a day as well. I also walk to and from work, and walk home at lunchtime...it's about a 10 min walk each way...I don't log that. (approx 40 mins of walking). the walks I take with my dog after work I time..those are more of a scheduled cal burn each day.

I must be pretty close, because I'm losing the right amount with what I'm doing right now. Hope this helps
  • rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Another thing to think about is that you would have been burning calories just existing had you not been doing exercise at the time so the actual increase in calories burned is less than the total calories any machine or heart rate monitor tells you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Another thing to think about is that you would have been burning calories just existing had you not been doing exercise at the time so the actual increase in calories burned is less than the total calories any machine or heart rate monitor tells you.

Different machines, apps and devices treat BMR in different ways, so you have to understand whether it's included or not. Hence why using one mechanism consistently, and using that to inform decisions is the best approach. OF course the treatment os BMR is also subject to error since it's based on height, weight, gender etc so takes little account for build.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    A true count of calories burned through exercise is completely unnecessary when trying to lose weight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It doesn't need to be exact. You just need to be consistent and adjust based on your results over time.
  • jeff_1972
    jeff_1972 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a general rule I will only eat half of what the site says i've burn't.

It works for me.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Generally when it comes to calories burned on cardio machines i put in the full amount listed but only eat half or a little less of it back, seems to work well for me personally.
  • cnickolem
    cnickolem Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm new to this and I don't understand why it adds back calories after you've exercised to burn them off in the first place. I stopped adding my exerise so it won't add any back because eating back what I've earned I don't think it will help me too lose, maybe i'm wrong. Any advice?
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The reason why it adds calories in is that MFP already calculates your calories based on how much you want to lose, so if you do cardio and do not eat back any of the calories its putting your body at an even bigger deficit and can become unhealthy. I would never recommend eating back the full amount, but half is generally a safe method.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I cranked my max HR on the HRM from what it was to 197. The numbers became lower. I eat all the calories back. My results have been consistent
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this and I don't understand why it adds back calories after you've exercised to burn them off in the first place. I stopped adding my exerise so it won't add any back because eating back what I've earned I don't think it will help me too lose, maybe i'm wrong. Any advice?

MFP has your deficit already included. Making it bigger is bad for a variety of reasons, especially if you chose the maximum loss per week (2 lbs). Fatigue and muscle loss are the big ones. I ate back every single exercise calorie when I was losing weight. It does work if you follow the program and log accurately.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Polar and Garmin HRMs are pretty good, but only for steady state cardio, not strength training or intervals. the higher level(priced) HRM the better as you get to change more of the variable to match you (V02Max, Max HR). And having said that HRM's and machines give you total calories burned for that period of time. But had you not worked out you would have burned some of those cals anyway, just living (maintenance calories) and they should be backed out to be even more accurate. Say your maintenance is 2400 cals/day and you workout for an hour and burn 580 cals, well you would have burned 100 (2400/24), doing nothing, so 480 is what should be entered into MFP, as those are the cals from exercise above what you would have burned anyway.