Are you close to your family/relatives?

Options

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My in-laws are the best family a person could have, seriously. I love them all.

My immediate family, I'm close with my sister, not so much my brother or dad, but definitely my mom. Extended family? Not at all. I could live without seeing them.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    my mom & sister are the only people who matter
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My mum, sister and niece are all on the other side of the planet but we are still close, and my extended family of cousins etc are ok though I haven't seen most of them for years. My in-laws are spread over Australia but we have a great time when we see any of them.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Right now, only my brother, grandmother, brother and sister. My mother because I know she needs me.
    I have a very VERY large family and they're... All over the world, don't know more than half of them.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is a trap
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I have a huge family, and there are members I always enjoy, and others I don't.
    I have old friends I love as much as family.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Lucky you, mine are insane ... except the ones I gave birth to, those guys are awesome and I'll spend time with them over friends any day.
  • AllMyUsernamesRTaken
    AllMyUsernamesRTaken Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    OP you're from SF and Samoan? I noticed that Samoan people have huge families and are really close. I admire that.
    Our family used to be like that, but with the influx of drugs into the community it tore my and others families apart in the 80's, and now its just our immediate family we're close to, and a few we interact with sparingly if at all in my family.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My mum, dad, sister, and aunt are the only blood family I have left alive, and my aunt is the only one whose death will be devastating to me. The rest of them? I'll probably smile and maybe shed a happy tear/do a happy dance when I get word of my dad's death. I'll be sad about my mum but not devastated because we're not at all close thanks to my dad, and my sister is like a copy of my dad, but I won't really be happy if she dies, just indifferent I think.

So no, I am not close to my blood family, except my aunt.

However, I have a non-blood family that I love and who love me too. I hold them in the same regard as or in slightly higher regard than my aunt. If anything happens to them I will be broken.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Very very very close to immediate family..rest of the extended family, depends!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I grew up in an awesome family that was very close like that and would get together several times a year.

Now I have several cousins that I have only seen on Facebook for years. I only see my brother if someone dies. It's pretty sad, really. I have been working for the past couple months trying to set up a family reunion and it may just happen next month, so we will see if we even like each other anymore.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I was very close to my mom and we traveled together a lot, making sure that at least one vacation a year was one for her, my dad, my husband and me, and at least one for just her and me. She died very unexpectedly last August. I miss her terribly, but I have no regrets because I got to spend so much time with her.

I have two brothers who I adore and a bunch of nieces and nephews who I love, one SIL who is the best thing since sliced bread and one that I don't get along with. The brothers live several states away, so I only see them a couple of times a year. We have a great time when we get together.

My sister lives in my city, but we don't get along well. We can co exist, but aren't friends.
  • TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    no
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    well, i work with my parents and my husband and i live with my brother, so yeah, we're pretty close. i wish my mother in law and sister and brother in law lived closer, they're 3000 miles away.

my parents brother and husband and i get together all the time. my husband works with us too. we see each other at work and at least one weekend a month for dinner and hanging out. we're a big love fest. and living with my brother has been awesome, he's never here, and when he is we all get along really well.

i'm a pretty lucky girl :)
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Close with my immediate family. People often think too close, not in a gross way. :)

My of 8 cousins on my moms side we talk to 2. I'm closer to me second cousins on that side.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    OP you're from SF and Samoan? I noticed that Samoan people have huge families and are really close. I admire that.
    Our family used to be like that, but with the influx of drugs into the community it tore my and others families apart in the 80's, and now its just our immediate family we're close to, and a few we interact with sparingly if at all in my family.
    Hardly Samoan! They make me look like a dwarf. Filipino by ethnicity, but thanks for thinking I'm big like them!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    my mom & my brother on my side and my in laws are fantastic too love them to death

haven't been close to my dad or his side in a long time now. he got remarried and barely talks to either my brother or myself anymore, didn't even invite us to his wedding :frown:
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My mum, sister and niece are all on the other side of the planet but we are still close, and my extended family of cousins etc are ok though I haven't seen most of them for years. My in-laws are spread over Australia but we have a great time when we see any of them.

:heart:
  • haleema93
    haleema93 Posts: 70
    Options
    i'm very close to my family, from my mums side.
    dads family lives abroad so only get to see them after a couple of years.
    I have the same problem as when we usually get together its at my Nans house where she cooks absolutely loads of food.. hard to resist nans cooking.. yummm :)
    Theres 2 of my auntys who i've got more of a friend relationship with :) can talk to them about anything.. would actually go talk to them before going to any of my friends..
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i'm close to my parents, but not my brother (his wife has made him shun all his family) i think my kids are really lucky because although they haven't got their uncle, they are lucky enough to have 2 great grandparents still around when some of their friends don't even have grandparents left, my mum and dad have a new years eve party every year, and my grandad is the first man i kiss after the clock strikes midnight, he cuddles me and tells me he loves me, and it's been like that for over 30 years :smile: don't know what i'd do without my awesome family