dopamine boosting activities with bad knees..

Options
onmyown70
onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
I used to love running, but it really hurts my knees. Any other ideas about activities to do that will achieve that same "high"? -
thank you all!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    swimming
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Weight training, yoga
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Power walking and weights are what I find the best. I would love to jog too but the knees won't allow it. I tried a 5 min jog a few weeks ago and ended up with my knees twice their normal size for about 3 days :grumble:. Would be interested if anyone has any other good suggestions though :smile:
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I recently tore my meniscus which I had surgically repaired. There is a hole in other cartilage that can't be fixed. So I'll no longer be able to do the sprints I was doing on the treadmill, jump rope or do jumping jacks, UGH! My scale has been going the wrong direction as of late. Need to turn it around. I'll be anxious to read what others have to say here as alternatives. I recently got back into the pool after 20 years to swim laps. My stamina leaves a lot to be desired at this point. But my trainer was adamant that it would really help kick-start some weight loss. Let's hope he is right!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Cycling is usually ok for people with poorly knees. (Stationary may be better than outside as hills can add stress.)

Strength training can actually help bad knees, as long as form is good. Consult a physiotherapist if you're unsure.
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Thank you for replying everyone.

I am not too great at front crawl and breast stroke is a no no with my knees, so I'm going to try backstroke,,,, watch out other swimmers!

I have noticed the weight is piling on without exercise. I have been walking but that doesn't seem to do much,aerobic exercise improves my mood and curbs my appetite. I also find when I used to run, the weight fell off me, despite eating a lot.

I've tried few weights (thanks for the suggestions guys - but I haven't yet found it gets rid of the fat like running did)..
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Karen cycling hurts my knees for some reason...
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Keyer- how are you doing now? you poor thing, here's me moaning..! Have you continued with doing the swimming?
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Poods, me too, the running is fine at the time, but then I have knee pain and tightness for a few weeks following it.