cut the SUGAR out

Options

Replies

• Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Who all is excited about the "added sugar" label that will be coming out on new food labels! :tongue:

Also while on the topic of sugar, it will be interesting when I get to watch the documentary "Fed Up" when it comes to video. I don't live in an area where it is showing :(
    http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home

The movie, Fed Up, is getting a HUGE response with the challenge that happened the past 10 days. It will educate more people, who have no clue about the danger of sugar. Now we have to help people wean themselves off from the addiction. Sugar is as addictive as heroine! We are beginning to work on that now.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Who all is excited about the "added sugar" label that will be coming out on new food labels! :tongue:

Also while on the topic of sugar, it will be interesting when I get to watch the documentary "Fed Up" when it comes to video. I don't live in an area where it is showing :(
    http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home

The movie, Fed Up, is getting a HUGE response with the challenge that happened the past 10 days. It will educate more people, who have no clue about the danger of sugar. Now we have to help people wean themselves off from the addiction. Sugar is as addictive as heroine! We are beginning to work on that now.

Joanne Moniz

Not really getting a huge response from where I sit, i guess it's how you measure huge. Sugar isn't dangerous unless you have an underlying medical condition. Sugar is not addictive. Herione? You obviously know nothing about real addiction and throwing out these kinds of statements is dangerous. I have never in my life heard of someone robbing a store or mugging someone for a packet of sugar. Comments like that are silly.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I love the thought, and am interested in cutting down on sugar, but I love just a little bit of something sweet after a meal. Usually it's the Weight Watchers by Whitman's candied (1) or a Miss Meringue cookie. They're both very low in cals. But if you wanted to cut out sugar how would you do it? Would you track the number of . . . sugar grams? What's a healthy level. I want to learn more about this.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I love the thought, and am interested in cutting down on sugar, but I love just a little bit of something sweet after a meal. Usually it's the Weight Watchers by Whitman's candied (1) or a Miss Meringue cookie. They're both very low in cals. But if you wanted to cut out sugar how would you do it? Would you track the number of . . . sugar grams? What's a healthy level. I want to learn more about this.

Do you have any underlying medical conditions that you would need to reduce sugars? If not, why? Sugar is just another carb that happens to be the current demon. Remember in the 90s it was fat? You have lost 42 pounds already, i would say keep doing what you are doing as it surely seems to be working. To answer your question about tracking, you can track it with mfp, there is a setting to track sugar in your diary settings. As far as how much? That is hotly debated. I am in the camp of 40% of my calories come from carbs and I don't care how much or how little of it is sugar. Hope this helps.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    Heroine: A female hero.
    Heroin: An opitate drug.

I am not sure how addictive heroines are, probably about as addictive as sugar...not. :)
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Well, this topic will go on forever with every opinion. I did not mean to imply that sugar is EVIL or that I NEVER, EVER have it. But those who watch their sugar intake will also automatically and without trying to follow a "diet" can lose weight simply by cutting out lots of sugar and the "junk" carbs. If you consume a lot of it, you might as well give yourself a huge dose of insulin, which = fat storing hormone. I steer clear of everything I know is loaded ... sugared cereal, cookies, cakes, etc. as well as TRANS fats. After a few weeks of this, I rarely have cravings for it. And no, all sugar is not equal. Someone (don't even recall what product it's for) runs a commercial where the person makes a statement that "sugar is sugar". That's not true. I'm not much of a fruit person, but I have the fruits I like (which happen to be some of the lowest sugar ones...strawberries, watermelon) but this natural sugar is not the same as the high fructose "CHEAP" sugar in processed junk food and hidden in lots of other foods so they don't have to list "SUGAR" as a top ingredient. There are studies that show the "CHEAP" high fructose syrup sugar inhibits our hormones from signalling the brain when we're full. And people who keep eating or eat when not hungry...which = gaining weight - what do people tend to eat when they're not really hungry...SUGAR or salt. Staying conscious of how much sugar you consume and being aware of it - helps you eat healthy without feeling deprived, it becomes a lifestyle and not a 'diet'.

Opinion, anecdotal, and some just wrong. Your body treats all sugars the same. You can over eat and gain weight while not eating sugar. Please post these studies. Thanks.

Your body might but your mind ... not necessarily. For those people who have a hard time not going overboard with sugary things, it may be best for them to eliminate the 'crap' sugary things rather than to try and fit them into their daily cals.

Um, no. Not really.

Um, yes. Really.

Just because that route may not work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

Do you have any helpful hints on how to cut sugar from my diet?

Try to use fruit. If you like yogurt, it is a good way to add a little sweetness. You can add a slice of apple diced up and a couple slices of banana. Just try not to eat too much fruit... It will take a little while to wean yourself off sugar; but you will feel great!!!

Joanne Moniz

Why not so much fruit?
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    not sure if anyone has posted something like this as TL;DR but here's something that might be useful:

http://www.livingsmartgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/cravethiseatthat.jpg

cravethiseatthat.jpg
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with cutting out sugar! You will feel so much better.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sugar Wars. It's the favorite war to battle on MFP!

Rarely does anyone bring up the benefits of anti-inflammatory eating to prevent a slew of chronic diseases and for general well-being (balancing neurotransmitters etc.).

Drs. Andrew Weil and Nicholas Perricone weigh in on this big time - each are huge advocates of anti-inflammatory eating. The research isn't shabby--it's a fortress of peer-reviewed content. That said, I love sweets and have a rough time controlling my impulses once I dose with sugar. When I eliminate added sugar and opt for nutrient rich, high fiber carbs, I'm better off. (It's hard to get to "better off" when you are obsessing about the cookies in the freezer -- help!)
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation
    don't cut it out
    but don't over eat it
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    We have an Obesity epidemic because we can't push ourselves away from the table and consume more calories than we need. Sugar is not evil, I have never tracked a single gram of sugar, have lost over 300 pounds, and still enjoy a bowl of ice cream every night... Hit your caloric intake and macros for whatever you are trying to do (lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight) that is the key....

Exactly!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We have an Obesity epidemic because we can't push ourselves away from the table and consume more calories than we need. Sugar is not evil, I have never tracked a single gram of sugar, have lost over 300 pounds, and still enjoy a bowl of ice cream every night... Hit your caloric intake and macros for whatever you are trying to do (lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight) that is the key....

Perfectly stated.

Agreed.

But...... I have found that one of the easiest ways to reduce my calorie intake is to cut down on my sugary snacks. Not cut out, just reduce.

I don't think sugar is the devil. However, sugary snacks are generally very high calorie, and often "moreish" or unsatisfying, e.g. chocolate. If I need a sweet fix I try to go for fruit, and I have increased the amount of protein in my diet to reduce sugar cravings.

I still indulge myself in yummy sugary things every now and again. I feel this is the best way to diet - limit but don't ban.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i haven't yet figured out which topic causes more comical thread wars: sugar, or cauliflower substitution recipes. Either way, I thoroughly enjoy reading threads on both topics.

I wonder what would happen if i started a 'replace sugar in your coffee with riced cauliflower' thread...
  • perseverance14
    Options
    OP, thanks for sharing what works for you.

Last year before finding MFP, I was bingeing on sugar all the time. In a span of 5 years, I gained back 30 of the 70 pounds I'd lost several years earlier.

I felt as if I was addicted to sugar because if I eat too much I get all loopy, and I was going to cut that evil stuff out of my diet FOREVER.

Then I began studying the people w/o have been/are successful with weight loss and....what? They ate sugar too? I made a deal with myself not to cut any foods out I love, including sugar, and began to practice the art of moderation.

Moderation works. We gain weight due to eating more than we burn.

Disregard any posts advocating that sugar makes you fat, is bad for you, or is the root of all evil, because these are lies. Only eliminate sugar if your doctor advises you to do so, in which case you will probably have diabetes or other sugar related problem.
    That would be because being overweight is the problem, it may be caused by consumption of a lot of sweet drinks and sugary things, but the person is probably eating too much food overall. That is what we all did to gain weight...let's just be honest about it.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    not sure if anyone has posted something like this as TL;DR but here's something that might be useful:

http://www.livingsmartgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/cravethiseatthat.jpg

cravethiseatthat.jpg

How about when you crave dairy?
  • perseverance14
    Options
    everything in moderation
    don't cut it out
    but don't over eat it
    Ah, the voice of reason...good to "read" you.
  • honeycrunch123
    Options
    Try slices of fresh lemon in your water. Eating an apple helps as it has some natural sugar & when I really feel I need sugar I have a teaspoon of natural honey rather than refined sugar. Persevere as it will be well worth it in the long run & you will start to feel much healthier without the sugar.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    Try slices of fresh lemon in your water. Eating an apple helps as it has some natural sugar & when I really feel I need sugar I have a teaspoon of natural honey rather than refined sugar. Persevere as it will be well worth it in the long run & you will start to feel much healthier without the sugar.
    Really? When I tried low carb with NO sugar I felt like total crap, probably the worst I ever felt in my entire life. To say I hated it would be an understatement. I stuck it out for a couple of months in which time I lost very little weight other than water, maybe a couple of pounds, but my body was miserable, absoulutely miserable on that diet.

Don't assume you know what is best for everybody.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    stahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhpppppppppp with this.

Poor sugar. Poor carbs. Poor fat.

They all get such a bad rep. And you need them all. In moderation.