Binge advice please...

Options
...I've done this before but, for some reason, I've never been able to nail on the head why I do it.

I had my porridge this morning (my usual breakfast that fills me up and everything). However, I found myself then going to the cupboard where my flatmate's (who moved out a few weeks ago and left some food behind) leftover cereal (clusters and granola) was and, not only had some in my bowl with milk, but then started eating it dry out of the box. I couldn't stop and have no idea what came over me, because it wasn't like I hadn't already had a nutritious breakfast or anything.

I can't even log it because I have no idea exactly how much I actually ate (I know it was a lot though) and now I don't want to eat anything else for the rest of the day because I just feel so miserable...and a bit sick as well.

I usually swiftly move on from these 'episodes' but something clicked inside me hinting that I might have a problem now...

Replies

• jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When I've had my binges, I try to at least log a rough estimate. It won't be totally accurate, but I try. Then, just put it behind you and move on. Sometimes I can look back and see what the trigger was, but not always. The important thing is to put it past you and have a regular day.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Try having more protein for your breakfast as it makes you feel fuller for longer. Also, another reason why you might want to eat more is because you are having to much sugar in your breakfast. I find that if i eat sweet sugary foods in the morning, i am more likely to binge later on in the day. Maybe you aren't drinking enough water too. Sometimes when you think that you're hungry you are just thirsty. Hope this helps :)
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Here's part of my story about bingeing. I'm soooo over it by now. Please remember it does get better.
    Feel free to add/message me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1127935-bingeing-and-i-broke-up-and-had-closure?hl=bingeing+and+I+broke+up#posts-18208388
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sunkissed (great name BTW),
    We've all been there. The best advise I've heard for this is, "do the next right thing." In other words, head back to your plan via whatever small step or two you can manage. Sometimes when I'm in this spot, a cup of mint tea will settle my stomach. Besides being meditative in itself. A chance to forgive yourself. Clean the cupboards of any other food that was left behind... Or think up a different "next right thing" that works for you. Then another.
    You can do it!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support folks.

I've been reading online about binge eating disorder and I fit into quite a few of the symptoms (eating large quantities of food secretly, feeling guilty afterwards and feeling depressed and out of control). It's not like it was a one-off either because it's happened several times before.

I'm moving back home for good (been living in student accommodation for 2 years) tomorrow so I won't have the temptation of that extra food (I'll also be kept busy with a Monday-Friday placement for 3 weeks).

The guilt is just all-consuming and, as I said, I just don't want to eat anything else today anymore which is a shame because I'd planned (and pre-logged) a pizza night with my other 2 flatmates (a 'last supper' before I move out).
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel hungry then wait till later and have your pizza with your friends. Your big breakfast can count as breakfast and lunch and even if you are over a bit no big deal, it's just one day. If you feel it is becoming a problem then it's best to speak to your Doctor who will be able to refer to to the right people to help :flowerforyou:
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Cereals are mainly carbs, fiber and sugar - so basically carbs!
    Cut (some) carbs out from your daily standard intake. If you train make sure you have carbs after your workout and move on!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    ...I've done this before but, for some reason, I've never been able to nail on the head why I do it.

I had my porridge this morning (my usual breakfast that fills me up and everything). However, I found myself then going to the cupboard where my flatmate's (who moved out a few weeks ago and left some food behind) leftover cereal (clusters and granola) was and, not only had some in my bowl with milk, but then started eating it dry out of the box. I couldn't stop and have no idea what came over me, because it wasn't like I hadn't already had a nutritious breakfast or anything.

I can't even log it because I have no idea exactly how much I actually ate (I know it was a lot though) and now I don't want to eat anything else for the rest of the day because I just feel so miserable...and a bit sick as well.

I usually swiftly move on from these 'episodes' but something clicked inside me hinting that I might have a problem now...

obviously your usual breakfast doesn't fill you up. maybe mix in some of that cereal with the porridge? maybe you're just craving something crunchy. i bet that granola would go great with the hot cereal.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    When I do that kind of thing I just the entire container, then make up for it later in the week. Gives me a bit of security because I know I didn't have the whole box but there can be no doubt I'm accounting for every single calorie I had. It's also a bit of an incentive not to do that kind of thing again
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Bingeing has nothing to do with being full, trust me. So, while the advice regarding what foods make you feel full is good advice, it's completely irrelevant here.

Dealing with bingeing is not something you can do after the event, I'm afraid. Punishing yourself by cancelling plans you are looking forward to is equally unconstructive. Finish your day as planned, forgive yourself and get a plan of action in for the next time.

In order to stop, you need to understand your motivation at the time. Are you self-medicating through food? Were you "treating" yourself? Were you "punishing" yourself?

In my experience, during an episode where I find myself eating something that my head is telling me not eat, you KNOW you are sabotaging yourself but the desire to eat overpowers any feeling of fullness or logic about undoing your hard work. When the light comes and and you know you are bingeing, stop just for a second and see if you can work out WHY. Just tell yourself that you are OK to eat whatever it is you're driven to do, but you first have to take a moment to think about why you're doing it. You will want to say "I don't care, I will think about it later", but don't. Stop, think. Why am I doing this? I'm not hungry, I know I will feel bad about myself later, I know I can put this down and have it tomorrow if I really want to, so why do I have to eat it NOW?

To be honest, I've never been able to get to the bottom of it, but the act of stopping and making myself think about it is usually enough to break the desire.

Hope that helps :-)