Wheat Flour vs White?

Options
NS81
NS81 Posts: 192 Member
Are there any recipes that you've really noticed a difference in, if you use whole wheat flour instead of white? Will it change the outcome when baking certain things? Do you need to use more or less in some recipes, than you would of white flour?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Are there any recipes that you've really noticed a difference in, if you use whole wheat flour instead of white? Will it change the outcome when baking certain things? Do you need to use more or less in some recipes, than you would of white flour?

Cookies, pancakes, waffles, pizza dough, pasta dough, and it was not a favorable change when trying out whole wheat
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've had a few disasters with using whole wheat all purpose flour instead of just plain white. A cake I tried to make turned out like a brick instead of the fluffy light cake I usually get, and the only difference was the fact that I subbed whole wheat for white. My second disaster was with blueberry cream cheese muffins... again, very very dense even though I lessened the amount of flour called for and upped the liquids by a bit. Only great success I've had with using whole wheat flour has been in chocolate chip cookies and in banana bread. ETA: And even then they were only ho-hum compared to the white flour versions. Something about whole wheat flour makes things gummy.
  • NS81
    Options

Cookies, pancakes, waffles, pizza dough, pasta dough, and it was not a favorable change when trying out whole wheat

Thank you for the input! :smile:
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

Yep!! and so I don't eat them if I can avoid it.
  • NS81
    Options
    I've had a few disasters with using whole wheat all purpose flour instead of just plain white. A cake I tried to make turned out like a brick instead of the fluffy light cake I usually get, and the only difference was the fact that I subbed whole wheat for white. My second disaster was with blueberry cream cheese muffins... again, very very dense even though I lessened the amount of flour called for and upped the liquids by a bit. Only great success I've had with using whole wheat flour has been in chocolate chip cookies and in banana bread. ETA: And even then they were only ho-hum compared to the white flour versions. Something about whole wheat flour makes things gummy.

Thank you! :smile:
  • hkabashi82
    hkabashi82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've used the recipes on this site before for whole wheat flour. You can't do a 1-to-1 switch - the whole wheat is much to dense and the texture and flavor is just different.
  • hkabashi82
    hkabashi82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I PM'd you the link since it removed it from the original post! (Still getting used to this site lol)

Enjoy!
  • NS81
    Options
    I PM'd you the link since it removed it from the original post! (Still getting used to this site lol)

Enjoy!

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Using whole wheat flour, you need more liquid. I normally add sour cream to give it a softer texture. Once you get accustomed to whole wheat flour. there is no returning white flour. I do all of my baking with wwf (King Arthur to me is the best - more expensive), they have a wonderful website with tested recipes.
  • NS81
    Options

Using whole wheat flour, you need more liquid. I normally add sour cream to give it a softer texture. Once you get accustomed to whole wheat flour. there is no returning white flour. I do all of my baking with wwf (King Arthur to me is the best - more expensive), they have a wonderful website with tested recipes.

Thank you, I'll check out the site too!
  • beleeLafter
    beleeLafter Posts: 47
    Options
    I use King Arthur 100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour when making any breakfast or baked goods from scratch and haven't had any problems with it. You can substitute it for all or some of the all-purpose flour called for in your recipe depending on your tastes. I've experimented with almond flour, oat flour, and coconut flour in lots of recipes too! Sometimes you just have to take some time to research and experiment in order to find out what suits you best. There are so many great food blogs out there of tried and true variations of all types of yummy business. Give it a go!
  • NS81
    Options
    I use King Arthur 100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour when making any breakfast or baked goods from scratch and haven't had any problems with it. You can substitute it for all or some of the all-purpose flour called for in your recipe depending on your tastes. I've experimented with almond flour, oat flour, and coconut flour in lots of recipes too! Sometimes you just have to take some time to research and experiment in order to find out what suits you best. There are so many great food blogs out there of tried and true variations of all types of yummy business. Give it a go!

• swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When modifying a recipe in baking I use white whole wheat pastry flour or spelt flour to give it a lighter texture than whole wheat.
  • htebazil
    htebazil Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use half whole wheat flour and half doppio zero ("00") flour for my pizza dough and it always turns out great. I like that it adds a bit of fiber but I don't think I would make the recipe with all whole wheat flour because I don't think it would have the lightness I'm looking for. You might want to do a little experimenting with your recipes to see when and how much of a substitution you can make without losing the essence of the finished product.
  • NS81
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate the input!
  • 1debbie123
    1debbie123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/ this is a clean eating website that has been very helpful for me and she uses different flours especially whole wheat pastry flour.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The trouble is that whole wheat tends to have higher proportions of fat and fiber vs white flour, which is more protein dense. The more protein, the more gluten, and thus the better rise and texture you get from the finished product.

Wheat bread is almost always cut with regular flour in order to give the dough some strength.

Something else: try adding a bit more hydration when using whole wheat flour, and allow longer times for the moisture to soak into the flour, as there is a lot more bran and such in there inhibiting hydration.

(Been baking artisan bread as a hobby for about 10 years)
  • NS81
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you both for the tips!
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Huge pasta fail with wheat pastas. It's just not the same taste wise. White is a lot easier to cook with, and it's more tender.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    316lq8x.gif

Anyway... Everything stacindrower wrote is true. Wheat pastas are difficult to work with, even if they are better for you.