Fussy Eater wanting help :')

Im the fussiest eater known to man! ok maybe not to the extent of some people in the world but seriously my eating habits suck!

Ive tried dieting in the past and failed miserably, and when it said to lose 2lb a week my intake had to be 1428 calories I thought this seemed to easy, bearing in mind I was probably eating more than I thought calorie wise I decided to start tracking.. so here comes my problem and questions.

I literally gag and cant eat foods that really would help me, so this is why my journey is going to be extremely difficult, ive managed to go down to this which I think still isn't good but its not as bad as what I did eat. (being chips, chinese takeaways, junk food like chocolate and crisps and lots of fizzy pops which just haven't helped me obviously)

So im about 6ft - 6ft1 I weight around about 14.5-14.7 stone think its roughly (200lbs) and finally come to terms with the fact I have to sort this out, sick of being the 'fat' guy.

I think im going to start eating weetabix for breakfast as a means to having breakfast as ive been skipping it practically every day lately,

For my lunch and dinner I have started eating basmati rice with bisto curry sauce to at least add taste to it, to up the calories I have been having 2 or 3 slices of bread with this meal each time.

I used to do insanity with my friends and quit by month 2 but now im going to go at it again by myself..
my motivation is the big lump of fat on my belly that looks hideous im my opinion, to top up my calories from the day as I work a desk job its not even like im on my feet through the day, but I do play football 3 times a week for 30minutes/40minutes/1hour in each separate game ranging from 5aside to 6aside, I generally eat when I get home then an hour later do my insanity workout from the day pushing myself as far as possible.

I'm that fussy I cant even drink water, so instead of all the fizzy pop and bad stuff I have decided to opt for flavoured water which is drinkable and I actually enjoy drinking lots of, as I say its not perfect water but its the best ive got, here are the details I do have about each meal written out, and I was planning on after my insanity workout having a 2 scoop with 500ml of milk protein shake after insanity as my last thing of the day to replenish some workout calories add some protein and fill me up for the night, below are the food details I have..

ITEM Amount Kcal Protein Carbs Sugar Fat
Basmati Rice Tub 234 5.4 48.4 Trace 3
Warburtons Bread Slice 96 4 17.7 0.9 0.8
Curry Sauce Portion 40 0.4 5.2 2.1 1.7
Protein Per Scoop 116 21.5 3.2 2.9 1.5
Semi-Skimmed per 200ml 96 7 9.2 9.2 3.6
Skimmed Milk per 200ml 72 7.2 9.4 9.4 0.6

My question is basically will I lose weight eating this way? and the things I am eating/drinking because that's my goal im cutting out the takeaway's and everything because I really don't want to stick to being this fat guy like I have for years now!

how much water a day is too much or is that even possible?
Breakfast
-weetabix?
Dinner
-Basmati rice with curry + 2/3 slices of bread
Tea
-Basmati rice with curry + 2/3 slices of bread
After cardio
-Protein shake?

Replies

• ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    Do you like eggs, chicken, pork? You have included virtually no good source of protein in your "plan". Can you tolerate yogurt? Cottage cheese? Fruits or veggies?

Yes, you will probably lose weight only eating 1428 calories a day for a man your size but you will also lose considerable muscle if you don't feed it correctly.

I think you need to read a lot and I know that there are a lot of open food diaries of men who have been successful, it would be a good idea to look into them and see what they are doing.

Good luck!
  • Tomz93
    Tomz93 Posts: 8
    Do you like eggs, chicken, pork? You have included virtually no good source of protein in your "plan". Can you tolerate yogurt? Cottage cheese? Fruits or veggies?

Yes, you will probably lose weight only eating 1428 calories a day for a man your size but you will also lose considerable muscle if you don't feed it correctly.

I think you need to read a lot and I know that there are a lot of open food diaries of men who have been successful, it would be a good idea to look into them and see what they are doing.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply and well this is what I mean by fussy, eggs alone nope, the only form of egg ive ever stomached is eggy bread which i dont think you can class as egg anymore? and nope dont like chicken or pork, or most meats to be fair, depends on what kind of yogurt you mean I do like yogurt any recommended ones? cottage cheese no and just cheese in general nope dont like the stuff, fruits and veg, erm I like carrots, grapes, orange but think that is all any suggestions of who's diaries to read through? losing muscle seems bad but honestly looking at myself I can't see much muscle tbh.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    She's right, 1428 is too low for a male, especially one your height. Per the ticker on your profile, you're looking to lose 35 pounds so 2 pounds per week is too high of a goal. Try for 1 pound per week instead. This will give you more calories and a much more reasonable calorie deficit.

I also agree with getting more protein in your diet. Since you don't really like meat, read up about high protein vegetarian/vegan foods as you can still get at least the recommended amount by eating certain veggies, legumes, dairy, tempeh/tofu, nuts and seeds. And eggy bread is fine - it's not like the egg disappears, it just get soaked up by the bread.
  • Tomz93
    She's right, 1428 is too low for a male, especially one your height. Per the ticker on your profile, you're looking to lose 35 pounds so 2 pounds per week is too high of a goal. Try for 1 pound per week instead. This will give you more calories and a much more reasonable calorie deficit.

I also agree with getting more protein in your diet. Since you don't really like meat, read up about high protein vegetarian/vegan foods as you can still get at least the recommended amount by eating certain veggies, legumes, dairy, tempeh/tofu, nuts and seeds. And eggy bread is fine - it's not like the egg disappears, it just get soaked up by the bread.

whats the recommended protein intake for me then will it give me an accurate one in myfitnesspal? so what go for a pound a week rather than 2? just thought that I would be able too maintain this better, as didn't really feel the need to eat anything more, I mean I could add my protein shake to what I usually eat each time? and as I say im a fairy I dont like tempeh or tofu dont like legumes dont like nuts and seeds think the only thing I eat nuts wise would of been those salted peanuts which obviously Im guessing aren't good.. and oh so eggy bread be a good breakfast some mornings then instead of weetabix sometimes as an alternative?
  • Tomz93
    how come 1428 is too low also? I thought the calorie deficit would help the fact of losing weight? thanks for all the replies by the way guys I appreciate it, so maybe a protein shake and some greek yogurt to get some of my protein intake up?
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    You don't have to eat all super healthy foods that you don't like to lose weight. Start out eating less of what you do like. Substitute healthier choices as you find things that you ENJOY. If you hate your new plan, you won't stick with it for the long haul.

I'm a terribly picky person myself.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    I forgot my glasses today and didnt read that as Fussy

=\
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    NO BREAD - I recommend reading the books "Wheat Belly" and the "Belly Fat Cure"
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member

I recommend saving your money and eating what you want, as long as you are in a calorie deficit and hitting your macros/micros. Those books are a sham and a waste of money.

Try to get away from the "diet" aspect, as it looks like you are trying to plan out the same stuff to eat every day. You will eventually get bored. And 1400ish is way too much. I'm 5'10" and was 180 when I started losing, and I ate 1600-1700 and was dropping at around 1lb a week.

There's nothing fancy or magical about this, but it works, I promise.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    My advice would be to stop being a fussy eater. You are not child. Stop using the fussy eater label as an excuse to eat crap. Try new foods until you find things you like that are good for you. You don't have to eat "healthy foods" all the time to have a healthy diet, but you can't have a healthy diet without ever eating healthy foods or without a good balance of nutrients.

Up your calories and add more protein and vegetables to your diet.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    If you have Netflix, watch "Freaky Eaters". It's about people who are either extremely picky, or eat alot of one thing, to the point that it is affecting their health. I'm sure your situation is not so extreme, but they have good ideas that help these people to incorporate other foods that previously made them gag. Maybe you can get some ideas.
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Wow I thought I was a fussy eater :laugh: . I think you are restricting yourself to too small a selection of food and will struggle to keep it up. I think you could do with upping the calories as a slower weight loss is more sustainable and easier to transition into maintenance. Also, your body needs a certain number of calories just to survive, you burn calories just by being alive, I believe the recommended lowest calories for men is 1500, although that isn't a magic number it does depend on a lot of things (e.g. height, weight, age).

Since you said your weight in stones I assume you're in the UK. Do you like baked beans? Although they have a lot of sugar, they are a great source of protein. I love them on a jacket potato (although I love the cheese I put on more).

If you like carrots, grapes and oranges add them in to your diet, any fruit or veg is better than none.

You say you don't like most meats, what takeaways would you normally buy? Do they have meat in them? Maybe you could try recreating a lower cal, lower fat version of your favourite takeaways.
  • Tomz93

just looked those up.. mmm might rethink the bread I was having then, and just have the rice with curry sauce, then add my shake? and maybe some additional things to hit the calorie count, am i right in thinking its probably best to afternoon meal, wait an hour or two, do my workout, then have my protein shake within half hour/hour of exercising to replenish myself?
  • Tomz93

I recommend saving your money and eating what you want, as long as you are in a calorie deficit and hitting your macros/micros. Those books are a sham and a waste of money.

Try to get away from the "diet" aspect, as it looks like you are trying to plan out the same stuff to eat every day. You will eventually get bored. And 1400ish is way too much. I'm 5'10" and was 180 when I started losing, and I ate 1600-1700 and was dropping at around 1lb a week.

There's nothing fancy or magical about this, but it works, I promise.

this is the kind of positive advice I was hoping for, not just criticism for what I eat trust me ide love to be different and love to be able to eat meats and everything else but I just cant even force myself to I had various days of trying loads of different things and it just never works, wish i was forced as a kid and actually enjoyed them or something but god knows I am how i am, so 1400 is too much? so aim for what say 1600-1800 and then try to lose that way? im hoping just sticking to it for a month or so then seeing something drop will help provide assurance that its actually working!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    I totally read this topic title wrong.......I don't think I have much to offer after all....
  • at_night_bookstore
    at_night_bookstore Posts: 249 Member
    hahahaha i thought the title said something else... :D
  • Tomz93
    Wow I thought I was a fussy eater :laugh: . I think you are restricting yourself to too small a selection of food and will struggle to keep it up. I think you could do with upping the calories as a slower weight loss is more sustainable and easier to transition into maintenance. Also, your body needs a certain number of calories just to survive, you burn calories just by being alive, I believe the recommended lowest calories for men is 1500, although that isn't a magic number it does depend on a lot of things (e.g. height, weight, age).

Since you said your weight in stones I assume you're in the UK. Do you like baked beans? Although they have a lot of sugar, they are a great source of protein. I love them on a jacket potato (although I love the cheese I put on more).

If you like carrots, grapes and oranges add them in to your diet, any fruit or veg is better than none.

You say you don't like most meats, what takeaways would you normally buy? Do they have meat in them? Maybe you could try recreating a lower cal, lower fat version of your favourite takeaways.

no by takeaway's I meant chinese food and not even chinese tbh chips curry and boiled rice lol thats my practical every time order I know people think im limiting myself on food and will want to change diet as I wont be able to stand eating the same thing constantly, but thats how I got this way tbh eating too much, and all I ate practically every day dinner and tea was chips, whether it was with gravy curry or whatever it was chips (french fries) if your american ha :) just trying to explain it as best as I can, yeah im in the UK and nope dont like baked beans now those are horrible tasting things!

nobody has actually said would a protein shake be a decent way of me adding some protein to my diet? as well as I said ill obviously give greek yogurt a shot too, and I can add grapes and oranges too if they'll help me at the moment im just looking for practically any and all helpful advice for me to get started and get going once I actually start noticing a loss my motivation will be a hell of a lot higher than the view of 'ill never lose' and stuff that's implanted in my head at the minute :/
  • StarPlatinumORA
    StarPlatinumORA Posts: 21 Member
    Hi there, I don't think I can help you much, but just wanted to lend a bit of support - I'm a fussy eater too! One of my pet hates is if you say you don't like something that's quite commonly liked (like nearly any vegetable you dislike, or similar) and peoples' reaction is "What? You really don't like that?!" It's like, I really wish i DID like stuff like that, so that I wasn't made to feel like a weirdo by others. I actually don't care so much about that nowadays, but it does bug me on occasion.

Anyhow, I'm a huge carnivore so I can't relate to THAT part of your eating, but veg is such a nightmare. Nearly anything that tastes "green" is gross to me. What I have in the daytime is a salad of raw carrot & cucumber and some kind of meat like ham etc. My weakness is carbs, I guess, so trying to have less of that.

All I might suggest is to slowly try things out. I don't know how often you do, but you'll find as you age things will taste different and/or better. I was like you and disliked cheese nearly all the time (except for "takeaway" cheese! Like pizzas!) but I am pretty partial to cheese on toast now. (Not that that's a good diet thing!!) There's definitely things that I've grown to like now.
    But if you don't like it there is no sense in forcing it. I'm kind of doing that with fruit and veg right now, but it's because I spent a long time not eating them (due to Crohn's disease!) and I do find the more you have them, the more you get used to, and even like them.

As for protein, I guess you could try supplements if you really can't have any source of protein. Plain yogurt is pretty cool for that, too, and tastes quite different to the other proteins out there. I'd also say give chicken another go. If you have it with your curry sauce it could be good - chicken doesn't taste of very much compared to other things!

Anyway, my advice is secondary to the fact that I just wanted to say - other fussy eaters - we're out there! :) I understand what a struggle it can be.

edit: To the person that mentioned baked beans, and that they have a lot of sugar, you may be surprised. I was told by my nurse that a general rule of thumb is that per 100g, if something has over 15g of sugar it's high, under 5g and it's low. We just buy ordinary Asda brand beans, and they have 4.1g of sugar per 100g. (Obviously they're high in carbs, but at least they still sort-of count as veg!)
    My advice would be to stop being a fussy eater. You are not child. Stop using the fussy eater label as an excuse to eat crap. Try new foods until you find things you like that are good for you. You don't have to eat "healthy foods" all the time to have a healthy diet, but you can't have a healthy diet without ever eating healthy foods or without a good balance of nutrients.

And this is a person that's never had the problem of disliking many foods.

Believe me, I wish I DID like more vegetables. (Fortunately, there are a couple that I really like.)
  • Tomz93
    Hi there, I don't think I can help you much, but just wanted to lend a bit of support - I'm a fussy eater too! One of my pet hates is if you say you don't like something that's quite commonly liked (like nearly any vegetable you dislike, or similar) and peoples' reaction is "What? You really don't like that?!" It's like, I really wish i DID like stuff like that, so that I wasn't made to feel like a weirdo by others. I actually don't care so much about that nowadays, but it does bug me on occasion.

Anyhow, I'm a huge carnivore so I can't relate to THAT part of your eating, but veg is such a nightmare. Nearly anything that tastes "green" is gross to me. What I have in the daytime is a salad of raw carrot & cucumber and some kind of meat like ham etc. My weakness is carbs, I guess, so trying to have less of that.

All I might suggest is to slowly try things out. I don't know how often you do, but you'll find as you age things will taste different and/or better. I was like you and disliked cheese nearly all the time (except for "takeaway" cheese! Like pizzas!) but I am pretty partial to cheese on toast now. (Not that that's a good diet thing!!) There's definitely things that I've grown to like now.
    But if you don't like it there is no sense in forcing it. I'm kind of doing that with fruit and veg right now, but it's because I spent a long time not eating them (due to Crohn's disease!) and I do find the more you have them, the more you get used to, and even like them.

As for protein, I guess you could try supplements if you really can't have any source of protein. Plain yogurt is pretty cool for that, too, and tastes quite different to the other proteins out there. I'd also say give chicken another go. If you have it with your curry sauce it could be good - chicken doesn't taste of very much compared to other things!

Anyway, my advice is secondary to the fact that I just wanted to say - other fussy eaters - we're out there! :) I understand what a struggle it can be.

edit: To the person that mentioned baked beans, and that they have a lot of sugar, you may be surprised. I was told by my nurse that a general rule of thumb is that per 100g, if something has over 15g of sugar it's high, under 5g and it's low. We just buy ordinary Asda brand beans, and they have 4.1g of sugar per 100g. (Obviously they're high in carbs, but at least they still sort-of count as veg!)

Believe me, I wish I DID like more vegetables. (Fortunately, there are a couple that I really like.)

thanks a lot helps to know there's at least some people like me who are fussy about food, and actually understand its not a choice not to like something we'd love to like those things! yeah think im just going to try as I go really and note everything down even if its a bad day, and just going to try and see what works best for me! may try chicken again last time wasn't that long ago, but i appreciate the fact that you understand that I wish i could eat all these good foods but they just don't generally let me eat them, and if its something im having to force and gag constantly how longs that eating habit going to carry on for, a hell of a lot less than if I find a situation that works for me! just need to see what I can do I guess, ive cut out all pops for instance like dr pepper coca cola and stuff and just drinking flavoured water at the minute, yes its not the best but I cant stand normal water, so flavoured works for me, so I just stocked up on it.
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member

You know, I eat beans regularly and never thought to check the sugar, I've just heard people say it. I ignore anything other calories when "dieting" as it becomes too much of a chore for me. However, I'm very fussy when it comes to beans, it has to be Branston or Heinz, I won't buy any others.

I agree on people who haven't had a problem with disliking foods. I really do have sympathy with fussy eaters, I'm getting better as I get older, but I have to be in the mood to eat a lot of things incl veggies and even then, I have a limited amount that I'll even try. Only someone who has never had this issue would say to just stop being fussy. If you force yourself to eat certain foods, in all likelihood you're going to hate that food even more. I'm sick of people saying "have you even tried it?", my answer "it doesn't look appetising, so no I'm not going to try it".

OP it is worrying to see that you have such a limited diet, maybe you could go to the supermarket and see if there's something you think you could try, whether it's veggies, fruit, meat or something else, any kind of variety in your food will help your body not get used to the same things. Maybe some sort of vegetable that you could blend a small amount of and add to the curry sauce? I hate onions, but as long as they're small enough I don't notice them I will tolerate them. Maybe for you it's a case of finding something that can be hidden and tolerated every now and again.

As for protein powder, I have never tried it, but there are a lot of people that use it to boost their protein.