Should I start lifting?

Options
So, I'm down a few pounds now and think I have my eating under control. I'm thinking I should start to add some weights into my plan, but currently don't work out now, at least not "formally" (I used to, but was more of a cardio junkie so I haven't lifted weights - other than my kids for a few years now).

I'm currently down 9 lbs from where I started and hope to lose at least another 11, but I could stand to lose up to another 10 after that. I'm 5'2".

I'm worried for a few reasons though:

(1) I don't want to gain weight. I know it sounds dumb, but right now the number on the scale means a lot. Maybe I should wait to lose a little more weight before lifting? I'm not sure why the number is such a big deal - maybe because it's taken a lot to lose even the little I've lot already and am afraid that I'll see a bump in the scale like a setback, like I'm going in the wrong direction. I don't know for sure.

(2) I don't know what to do. How much weight? How long? How many times a week? Should I just focus on my arms and back or all around lifting/ab/core work too? I have the dreaded post baby/post c-section pooch (even though my "baby" is now 2). I know I can't spot reduce but it would be nice to not be embarrassed by it anymore.

FYI - I'll be working out from home with only some free weights.

I'm so confused. Any suggestions?

Replies

default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    1. you should lift weights, everyone should do resistance training
    2. throw out your scale
    3. I would suggest starting strength, or there are some female-specific weight training programs, follow these, they should include basic compound lifts such as: squat, deadlift, etc...
    4. you cannot spot reduce
    5. join a gym with free weights, a trainer may be necessary to show you how to do the basic compound lifts without hurting yourself, but there are many informational videos online at webistes such as: Bodybuilding.com
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Short answer: YES!

Longer answer: Start a lifting program as soon as possible. Do a search on this site to find the most popular ones that people here have been doing (i.e. Stronglifts). I know how the number on the scale can be a psychological mindf**k (sorry, but that's the only way I can describe it). PLEASE try not to fall into that trap. because the scale can be a dirty, rotten liar. Measure your success by how your clothes fit, because you will retain water once you start lifting (natural occurrence) and the scale will make you think that this is a bad thing, but it isn't. I used to be a "cardio queen" - I used to run A LOT (marathons, ultra marathons) and didn't do any weight training. I broke out of that routine about 5 years ago when I met my guy and we started lifting weights together. I am now 10+ lbs heavier than when I was running BUT I fit into the same size clothes. I look and feel great (not to brag), better than I ever have in my life (and I just turned 46 years old). I *wish* I had started lifting weights years ago!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Short Answer: YES!

Long Answer: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Ha, just kidding...as for your concerns:

1) Get over it. Lifting makes your body look better, even if the number on the scale stays the same or goes up. Do you want to look good or do you want to be skinny fat with a satisfying number on the scale that only you see? The choice is yours.

2) Start with a beginner's strength program, like StrongLifts 5x5. Check out the link below to find a summary that lays out exactly what you need to do. You'll live 3 days per week. You should focus on your entire body through compound lifts. 5x5 only uses 4 types of lifts, and every lift engages your core.

Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary?hl=5x5+summary

I'd suggest getting into the gym or purchasing your own lifting equipment. After hearing about your fitness misconceptions, I'm guessing your free weights are pretty light. That won't cut it. In order to to the 5x5, you'll need a bench and a squat rack with a barbell and weight set. I got all of mine for $400. It's cheaper than a gym membership in the long run, but the membership is more affordable if you don't have $400 right now.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Yes.

TBH, I didn't even read your whole post, that's how quickly I wanted to get on here and tell you to lift.

You will gain a couple of pounds of water weight in the beginning. It's normal, and not a reason to panic. In a few weeks it will be off.

You will look and feel so good!
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    hey sorry to jump in on your thread. how do we start to lift weights. where do we begin? ive heard about the book for women, but is there youtube videos too? something i can watch and learn from?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    hey sorry to jump in on your thread. how do we start to lift weights. where do we begin? ive heard about the book for women, but is there youtube videos too? something i can watch and learn from?

See my link above.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options

See my link above.

thanks sorry missed that before. x