Which running app to use?

Options
I have downloaded both Map My Fitness and Runkeeper, but I'm not sure yet which is the better app. Neither one seems to be able to pair with my HRM and the calorie burn on the app is almost 100 LESS than my HRM says. When it syncs to MFP, it doesn't allow me change the calories without changing the fact that I used the app. Call me vain, but I WANT people to know I use the app. I've never run in my life. I SUCK at it. Right now, my speed and ability are laughable. But this is proof that I'm putting in the effort and I love seeing that my effort is verified by an app. So the question is, in which app can the calorie burn be edited before syncing? And which do you prefer?

Replies

• asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use map my fitness and you can edit the workout to change the calorie burn on the website and probably right in the app as well.
  • TilKingdomCome
    TilKingdomCome Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Run and edit the calorie burn after syncing. Sometimes it takes a few mins to show the edit in MFP and on the off occasion it doesn't change I fix MFP manually. Doesn't bother me having to do this as it only takes a couple of secs (using phone app). I like Map My Run but haven't used Runkeeper however I believe they are both just as good as each other.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Do you need to connect it to MFP? I use an app called Jog Log (which links to Runkeeper) but I always enter my burns in MFP separately. Runkeeper posts to my facebook page though LOL.

Straight up talking about the apps you mentioned, I've found Runkeeper to be more accurate GPS wise than Map My Run.
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo and it links to MFP.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    For running I use the Nike+Running app, for biking I use Runkeeper. The calorie counts they give don't matter me because I have a HRM that I always wear. I just use the apps for distance and pace.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun - but I hate connecting it to MFP. I just do it manually since their calorie tracking is waaaay off.
  • climberlady
    climberlady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I enjoy RunKeeper (I have no experience with MapMyRun). You can find neat playlists with spotify, it syncs nicely to MFP, and you can choose from a variety of running plans.

Zombies! Run! Is also a super fun running app. Very entertaining and very War of the Worlds style. You go on a ton of missions and have to outpace zombies. Each mission can go over 30 or 60 minutes. A little geeky, but a really good time. To my knowledge, it does not sync with MFP.
  • mk82gt
    mk82gt Posts: 4
    Options
    I used Adidas miCoach to get me started with running, you can pick different programs and that. I found it worked well and helped me a lot. Now I'm just using a GPS Watch that tells me my pace and mileage....
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Of the five main apps; Endomondo, Runkeeper, Runtastic, Strava and MapMyfitness, I'd personally recommend Runkeeper or Endomondo. Personally I use both although it's Runkeeper that's linked to MFP. I would not recommend either MapMyFitness or Runkeeper, for slightly different reasons. The main one for MapMyFitness being that I've found it very unreliable in terms of upload and external synch.

I've once had a synch problem with runkeeper, in 14 months of using it with MFP.

As far as accuracy of calorie count is concerned, the main difference is that some of them don't account for BMR, some do. I find Runkeeper is generally the lowest count, and that works for me as it's consistently low. My HRM is generlly in the middle and Endomondo highest, but that's because Endomondo accounts for BMR.

Given that the objective is losing weight I'd rather be pessimistic around calorie expenditure and come in under goal, than over.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've heard there is one with a Zombie theme. They tell you stories to scare you and make you run faster. Unfortunately I don't know the name.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Run keeper. Only because it also links up to my pact app. So I can get paid for logging and working out. :-)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Run, but on my iPhone I've often found it to be a bit fast (like up to .05-per-mile fast, so saying .95 is a mile, etc. which adds up a LOT over a long run). I like to use my Garmin watch when I go out, and then log my time/distance on Map My Run's website so I can see all the stats :)

If you're using an app on your phone, I'd find one that is a little more GPS-accurate, but I'm not sure if it's really an app problem or if it's a problem with phone-GPS accuracy :/
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use Runmeter because it lets me track so many different activities. I enter my info from it into MFP manually.