Am I a 'runner' or a 'jogger'?

Options
I'm set to do a 10K for Race for Life next Sunday and noticed that the information about the event states about finding your 'flag' which are 'Walker', 'Jogger' or 'Runner'. I know I'm definitely not a 'walker' as I'm training for a half marathon in September. But how do I know if I'm a 'jogger' or a 'runner'? I know it probably doesn't matter in the long run but I don't want to be in the wrong group. If it helps for information my time for my last 5 mile run came in at 60 minutes. Thank you

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I despise the term "jogger". It's almost always used to look down on people who run on the slower side.

The most frequently used time constraints I've heard is 10 minute miles or faster are running and slower than that is "jogging". So, you're probably in the jogging category. I'd probably try to be at the front of the jogging wave or back of the running wave.
  • julesdoc23
    julesdoc23 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I guess then it's just to release people from the start at the correct time so they aren't trampling over each other? Is that right? Apart from my weekly parkrun this will be my first organised race so wasn't sure how it all worked.
    I'm happy to be near the front of the joggers. As long as I finish I'm happy!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Honestly though what is considered running and what is considered jogging? Is it jogging if someone runs slow? Well, no because they might just be as low runner.

And who is saying what's a runner and what's a jogger? Seriously.

Is a 9 minute mile pace jogging or running? Could be jogging to someone who can run a 6 minute mile.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It's crazy lol. My husband is a foot taller than me so I have to RUN to keep up with his slow paced Jog!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I think they're two words for the same thing, just people who tend to take it too seriously get offended when a specific term isn't used. I think anything less than full on sprint pace could be called either/or. Six in one hand, half dozen in the other.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I guess then it's just to release people from the start at the correct time so they aren't trampling over each other? Is that right? Apart from my weekly parkrun this will be my first organised race so wasn't sure how it all worked.

Yes, that's all it is. I've never heard of a race doing it that way before. Around here, they'll do pace signs. 6 minute miles line up here. 8 minute miles here. 10 minute miles here, etc. But, they just want the faster people at the front and the slower people at the back so the faster runners aren't trying to pass everyone in front of them who is slower.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I despise the term "jogger". It's almost always used to look down on people who run on the slower side.

Agreed. I'm a slower RUNNER!! :explode:
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

The most frequently used time constraints I've heard is 10 minute miles or faster are running and slower than that is "jogging". So, you're probably in the jogging category. I'd probably try to be at the front of the jogging wave or back of the running wave.

My personal view is if I'm not walking, and I'm putting in some effort, then I call it running. But from the technical side the 10 minute rule is what I've heard. And having only been in one race before, where you line up is somewhat important as that initial couple minutes involves a bit of sorting out. Congrats on signing up and best of luck to you!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

If it is a legit race where time actually matters, they would provide timing chips for participants to wear. That way its not as much of a big deal to be in the front or the back. Some people start out fast and then get passed by everyone behind them, so it doesnt make much difference.

Stay safe and enjoy the run; have fun!
  • 95Tashey95
    95Tashey95 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    loving this

Would you rather be a fast jogger or a slow runner lol

also, I though I read somewhere that running was when both feet were off the ground at the same time during the gait. not sure if that is true

I do a 10min mile and have no idea if I am a runner or a jogger so I tend to tell my husband that I am off out for a shuffle as that is how I imagine I look!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Call yourself a runner. I don't run that fast but I'm not going to say I'm a jogger. It seems unnecessary to change names based on slightly different speeds of the exact same exercise.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If it helps for information my time for my last 5 mile run came in at 60 minutes. Thank you

At 12:00/mile, I'd say you're a jogger.