Thoughts on What a Plastic Surgeon Said About Dieting

BetesBitch
BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
The plastic surgeon I seen for insulin lipodysthrophy recommended low carb and no meat for weight loss. This I didn't agree with. You can reduce any food group and lose weight. Why not just reduce every food group a little bit to get your calorie deficit. Low carb I think is good (espeically for me T1 diabetic) but low carb to me is just no stupid sugar lol, (like donuts, cakes, chips, candy etc) Just good sugar like fruits and wholegrains and dairy. My carb intake is around 150grams per day.

Do you guys agree or disagree with this, thoughts? Thanks

Replies

• simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    If you dont get carbs and you dont get meat....there isnt a lot left. No thanks :(
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Low carb I totally get (I'm Type II), but no meat? I'm scratching my head over that one. Increasing my meat is what helps me to continue to lower my carbs.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Umm...that sounds like a question for a registered dietician. Reducing carbs and protein seems dramatic for the average person, including those living with diabetes. It just does not sound sustainable.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Could he have possibly said low carb OR no meat? I'm pressed to imagine how one would do both simultaneously.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    You will basically be living off of oils and green vegetables, find another plastic surgeon.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    I am diabetic and i dont particulrly like meat. Some but i love cheese eggs yogurt and peanuts. All protein. But sometimes i just have to eat meay becausecim starving and have very low energy. I am suppose to do lower carbs but its hard.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    no carb and no meat? What do you eat? just fat?
  • BetesBitch
    He said low (not NO) carb and NO meat. To get proteins from other things other than meat. I expect things like eggs, maybe fish, powders, dairy........

Im not going to follow this advice anyways. Just going to continue on lean meats most of the time (i love bbq steak so will only have that occasionally) and I eat protein powder, pbutter, eggs and fish too. Chicken and turkey. Sandwich meats. Canned tuna.

For carbs im eating wholegrain breads. 2 servings most days somedays are 3 servings. If I have corn or potato, I make sure to skip a piece of bread for that day. I also eat greek yogurt. That has 12g carbs per serving and I eat 2-3 fruit servings per day but those tend to be lower carb like berries mostly.

The only main fat for me is olive oil then of course the other fats inside the other foods im eating. I don't eat nuts very often - i get to out of hand eating those. Rarely eat butter. Salad dressings are always low fat or vinegar based. Sauces are limited to ketchup, bbq sauce, light mayo and ALL in moderation.

Veggies, yep lots of those (turnip, carrots, cucumber, celery, cabbage, romaine mostly.)

I've have been trying to lose weight for a while and I think I may be finally doing it. I am logging and weighing everything. Im gonna have a 2 week weigh in this Tuesday. But GEEZ I should be losing. Almost all my days are under 1500calories. Im 5'9" and about 155lbs. Goal is 140.
  • Fitfully_me
    Im 5'9" and about 155lbs. Goal is 140.

Why are you adhering to such strict eating requirements? The above stats are within normal range.
    Is there some reason, medically, that you need to lose 15 lbs? Or for you to restrict carbs and avoid meat?
  • BetesBitch

Why are you adhering to such strict eating requirements? The above stats are within normal range.
    Is there some reason, medically, that you need to lose 15 lbs? Or for you to restrict carbs and avoid meat?

Hello, please reread. I am NOT avoiding meat and I am only restricting carbs to a good level for T1 diabetes. As for the 15lbs loss. I HATE being 155lbs. It's all belly and back of thighs and I want it gone. I felt like such a sexy ***** at 140lbs and I want that feeling back!
  • Fitfully_me

Hello, please reread. I am NOT avoiding meat and I am only restricting carbs to a good level for T1 diabetes. As for the 15lbs loss. I HATE being 155lbs. It's all belly and back of thighs and I want it gone. I felt like such a sexy ***** at 140lbs and I want that feeling back!

Not sure why my question invoked an invitation to reread. I understood you the first time, hence the question of whether there was a medical reason for you to eat the way the Dr recommended. But, I digress.

Now, that you've given some insight as to why you'd like to the lose the extra pounds, might I suggest that perhaps its body fat %/body composition that's the issue? Perhaps building some muscle will help you reshape your body in a way that is more pleasing to you?

ETA: Ultimately, I wish you great luck on your goal.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    YeahNO.
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Doctors don't really spend a lot of time on nutrition in school. Better to ask someone who specializes in such things. Like us, for example. :wink:
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    I'd no more listen to a plastic surgeon about dietary matters than I would a mechanic.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Most plastic surgeons don't have much nutrition training.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    If someone told me to do that I would throw a steak at them.

No reason to ever eliminate any food group, aside from allergies, intolerances etc. I'd continue to do what you're doing with the lower carb for the Diabetes and continue on. A plastic surgeon is one branch of doctors I would never take nutrition advice from.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    The plastic surgeon I seen for insulin lipodysthrophy recommended low carb and no meat for weight loss. This I didn't agree with. You can reduce any food group and lose weight. Why not just reduce every food group a little bit to get your calorie deficit. Low carb I think is good (espeically for me T1 diabetic) but low carb to me is just no stupid sugar lol, (like donuts, cakes, chips, candy etc) Just good sugar like fruits and wholegrains and dairy. My carb intake is around 150grams per day.

Do you guys agree or disagree with this, thoughts? Thanks

Just ask him why "no meat." I get the low carb, very reasonable, but meat can help make you feel full and make reducing calories easier to do.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    I'd no more listen to a plastic surgeon about dietary matters than I would a mechanic.

True, why listen to someone who went to medical school and is intelligent enough to get into plastics, when you have all the people on here whose opinions are all aligned and correct?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Did he give you any specific reasons for omitting meat, other than "it helps weight loss"? While one can definitely go vegetarian and be healthy and lose weight, it isn't required. Is there something about meat that exacerbates the lipoatrophy? I'd ask him for more details!

The low carb thing I can see for the diabetes. But a true low carb diet is not always required - the key (as I'm sure you know) is to get low enough that you don't spike your blood sugar. There is nothing magical about low carb and weight loss, except it can help some people create the required calorie deficit.

I assume you have other doctors in your health care "team": what do they suggest?