Advice on female weight training (Still not toned!)

Options

Replies

• frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I had been using 8-18lb dumbbells for lifts when I went to see a trainer for the first time. He *started* me on a 35lb kettlebell for swings, a 22lb goblet squat, 14lb half getup, and a 60lb deadlift. Everything was heavier than I thought I could lift!

So my recommendation is to set up a weight program with a trainer. You'll surprise yourself. :smile:
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this gets long winded!! What if you just can't lift that much weights, isn't doing more reps then helpful?
    I just went back to the Y and started the Body Pump class again. Its a weight lifting class designed by Les Mills. I can only do the lightest weights, I did add double to try and see if I could do that without hurting so much. It's not so much that I can't lift more, I'm not as strong as I use to be but can lift OK. The problem is I have so many pains that I've lived with for 20+ years. My shoulders, my hips, knees and plantars in my right foot.

My Chiropractor and the physical therapist I've just started going to both said DON'T PUT THE BARBELL BEHIND YOUR HEAD!! I've had 3 slipped dics in my neck and the PT said it is hard on your arms/shoulders. Chiro said because of my dics and his wife said if your just doing lunges anyway what they do at her gym is hold a weight against your body. What does it matter when it 's just lunges. Lunges kill my knees. My left knee cap moves to the side when I bend it - - one reason for PT.

Last year I decided to join the Y as the 8 miles a day (broken up throughout the day) wasn't doing a thing for me. Here was my scheduled
    Monday - Body Attack (high impact aerobics) .......................Tuesday Zumba.....................Wednesday Body Pump........Thursday my day off.......................Friday I just went in and did the machines. I did this from June until October when my foot just got way to bad with the plantars and I couldn't take the pain any more. I needed to give my foot a break. Anyway 5 months of that and I didn't lose ONE POUND, NOTHING, NADA, ZIP. I didn't even tone up. I was still doing my walking too a few miles a day.

How can someone work that hard every week faithfully for five months and nothing happen?????????????????????? I was journaling and trying to be sure I had protein but since I didn't have anyone to look it over I really don't know if I was having to many calories, not enough calories, not enough protein. I just know I was very and still am depressed over that.

What is it going to take for me to lose weight? I'm 55, been in menapause since I was 40. That is when a lot of my problems started. Going into menapause that early was not a good thing! I've gain a lot of weight since then.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Tammy

First of all, listen to your doctor and your PT, and stop doing lunges if they kill your knees! With your physical problems, I'm nor sure the Body Pump class is the best thing. If you can get your PT to show you exercises you can do without aggravating anything, that would probably be the best. Towards the end of the PT I had after having both hips replaced, my therapist came to the gym with me and we went over a bunch of lower body exercises that were safe for me to do until I was completely healed. If that's not an option for you, could you hire a competent personal trainer to design a program specifically for you?

In regards to weight loss, I gained when I entered menopause abruptly at age 49, after a hysterectomy. And that weight was VERY hard to get rid of! By trial and error, I discovered that controlling carbs and eating lots of protein, vegetables and fruits was the only thing that worked for me, because eating that way kept my hunger under control.

Good luck!

ETA: to answer your first question, yes, higher reps can also be effective until you get stronger, as long as the weight is challenging for you.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Nope. The weights you are lifting are not heavy enough yet. Talk to a trainer about some basic, full body lifts to master, and increase what you're lifting.

This.

Also, if you are eating at a deficit, it is likely you are losing muscle mass along with your fat loss which would result in not having the definition you are desiring.

These are the correct answers. Lift heavy. And by heavy, I mean with a barbell preferable to dumbbells, and doing compound moves like back squats, deadlifts, overhead press, and bench press. And give it time. You still have a lot of fat to lose before you'll get to where you want to be, but if you lift heavy and eat enough you will get there.

YES YES and YES! I'm dong it now. I looked at my belly today and yes, jiggle and fat but you know what else is there???
    Obliques and the beginning of the "V." I don't care about the jiggle, you know why? Because it's going to be gone soon. Maybe not soon enough for some, but it will be gone. I'm enjoying the journey.

I have always had a good middle but I've never lifted heavier. I drank the koolaid and I can't wait to go to the gym tonight. It's only been a few weeks but the results are unbelievable.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I had been using 8-18lb dumbbells for lifts when I went to see a trainer for the first time. He *started* me on a 35lb kettlebell for swings, a 22lb goblet squat, 14lb half getup, and a 60lb deadlift. Everything was heavier than I thought I could lift!

So my recommendation is to set up a weight program with a trainer. You'll surprise yourself. :smile:

Or just do what she wrote above. Screw the trainer. (Well, if he's cute....) hee hee
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You're not really weight training if your heaviest weight is a 20 lb kettlebell. You need to lift heavy to see the best results.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Buy Strong Curves, that would be my suggestion:) It's a book full of knowledge, workouts, etc...

Anyway, If you're cutting it's going to be hard to gain strength, except for noob gains. Cut, and then eat at maint or a little higher to build muscle and increase strength (if that is your goal - to be toned) When you lose weight, and you're eating in a deficit you lose fat and muscle, as others have pointed out. I still lift weights on a cut to attempt to maintain strength/muscle, but you're not gonna stack on a ton of muscle on a cut. Recomping is hard. I suggest keep cutting, keep lifting weights and when you are ready to start increasing muscle/strength, then eat at maint or a little higher.

Strong Curves would help you out a lot, methinks:) I love it!!! The workouts are bomb and it's full of great, scientific information from a PT with a PHD in sports science. The women in my lifting group are big fans. I think it's $9 online.

Best of luck to you:) Keep up the great work!

Not really true. You can make good strength gains in a cut. It's gains in mass you can't do. And those two things are different.

Go to the "Scooby" website. I dont' remember what it is now but his name is Scooby and he has a German last name.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice in here. You might enjoy doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit its a great programme and has both the nutrition and training side of things.
  • asiantaye
    asiantaye Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for posting this 8o punds down and Im having the same issue.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are eating at a deficit, it is likely you are losing muscle mass along with your fat loss which would result in not having the definition you are desiring.
    [/quote]

This! When I started doing strength training I didn't lose any weight for about two months before I started losing again.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Following.... I want some toned abs and arms too! :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you're still jiggly, it means there is still fat and weight to be lost. Stick with it, stay consistent, up you weights, and you'll get there.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. And I agree with everyone who said you aren't lifting enough weight. I think you are underestimating yourself. I hadn't worked out in years and walked in and started curling 40 lb dumbbells; squatting 100 lbs and calf pressing 300 lbs. My upper body was really weak. Shoulders were an impressive 25 lbs. But you surely can go higher than a 10 lb curl!! If you really cannot, I would visit my doctor. Don't be afraid to work hard & sweat hard. Your loss is great!! Now just firm it up!!! :)

Also, push-ups are a great way to start building your upper body as are dips.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Buy Strong Curves, that would be my suggestion:) It's a book full of knowledge, workouts, etc...

Anyway, If you're cutting it's going to be hard to gain strength, except for noob gains. Cut, and then eat at maint or a little higher to build muscle and increase strength (if that is your goal - to be toned) When you lose weight, and you're eating in a deficit you lose fat and muscle, as others have pointed out. I still lift weights on a cut to attempt to maintain strength/muscle, but you're not gonna stack on a ton of muscle on a cut. Recomping is hard. I suggest keep cutting, keep lifting weights and when you are ready to start increasing muscle/strength, then eat at maint or a little higher.

Strong Curves would help you out a lot, methinks:) I love it!!! The workouts are bomb and it's full of great, scientific information from a PT with a PHD in sports science. The women in my lifting group are big fans. I think it's $9 online.

Best of luck to you:) Keep up the great work!

Not really true. You can make good strength gains in a cut. It's gains in mass you can't do. And those two things are different.

Go to the "Scooby" website. I dont' remember what it is now but his name is Scooby and he has a German last name.

Me? I'm familiar with Scooby's website....Still doesn't change that fact that you aren't building appreciable muscle in a cut.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Btw. Weights are not the ONLY way to get toned. You have to shock your body and do something different. Increasing your weights for lifting is an awesome idea. If you are uncomfortable or worried HAVE A SPOTTER! Just as reassurance i'm sure you won't need it anyway.

Now, plyometric work is AWESOME for the body and makes a lot of functional sense. Look into going to classes where they do plyometric moves. Body weight works will shred your body as well. plyolunges, 100's of different types of pushups, ab work, box jumps etc. etc.

Drink more water. Nutrition is key. At this point your body is probably pretty solid. You can also do more of course but getting nutrition in check should be NUMBER 1 on your list.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    @ sara4fitness What weight would you recommend for lower body?

I am currently using a 20 pound kettlebell. What should I increase it to? Or better yet, what do YOU use for lower body?

Comparing yourself to my lifts is pointless. I'm 5'5", have been working out consistently for YEARS, and have been lifting heavy for years. In that profile pic I'm 145lbs. Shows what muscle looks like on a frame your size.

You're 26. You said you are "naturally weak". No. No one is "naturally weak." There are only people who have yet to actualize their potential. Do not sell yourself short with 5 or 10lb dumbbells. PUSH yourself. Sometimes, those last 2-4 reps should be a strain, not habitual or "easy".

My leg day currently consists of:
    Squats
    Stiff-leg Romanian Dead Lifts
    Box step-ups
    Bulgarian Split Squats
    and a super set of
    Seated leg extensions
    and
    Prone hamstring curls

I do one warmup set with low weight, one "feel set" at a significantly higher weight, to assess how much more to add for my final three NORMAL sets, of which I must be able to complete 8-10 reps, and sometimes add more reps if I am maintaining form, to failure.

My squat is considered WEAK, at the bar (approx 45lbs) plus two 45lb plates, for a total of 135lbs.
    My deadlift ranges between 155 and 195lbs depending on my meals the prior day.

As I said, comparing is pointless. However, you SHOULD be pushing yourself to lift as HEAVY as you can with proper form for even 6-10 reps. I stress proper form, and moving SLOWLY. Don't just phone it in and rep it out at a high speed. That's not weightlifting, that's cardio.

If you've got access to a gym, talk to a trainer (with a legit certification, two of the most recognized are NASM and ISSA) to get guidance on form and a program. If you can't afford a meeting with a trainer, look for a woman who has the type of body you want for yourself, and ask her for pointers on her routine.

THIS!!!!

OP lift heavy and you will see amazing results. Just remember when your lifting heavier you will gain, it's just water weight, muscle repair.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    As I said, comparing is pointless. However, you SHOULD be pushing yourself to lift as HEAVY as you can with proper form for even 6-10 reps. I stress proper form, and moving SLOWLY. Don't just phone it in and rep it out at a high speed. That's not weightlifting, that's cardio.

If you've got access to a gym, talk to a trainer (with a legit certification, two of the most recognized are NASM and ISSA) to get guidance on form and a program. If you can't afford a meeting with a trainer, look for a woman who has the type of body you want for yourself, and ask her for pointers on her routine.

I think everyone has made good points about lifting heavier than what you are, however most of these people have been lifting and lifting heavy for a while. You don't just walk into a gym and start squatting with 135 lbs or deadlifting over 150. You have to work up to it but not at such small increments as you have been. In my mind the most important thing sara4fitness said is you have to have the proper form. You really need someone knowledgeable to 1) show you the proper form and 2) watch and correct your form until you know what it feels and looks like for you to do it correctly. Otherwise you may never get out of it what you expect especially if you are not activating the correct muscles and you may get hurt. Having a strong core is also really important as you use those muscles to stabilize your body so you can push the muscles you want to activate.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this gets long winded!! What if you just can't lift that much weights, isn't doing more reps then helpful?
    I just went back to the Y and started the Body Pump class again. Its a weight lifting class designed by Les Mills. I can only do the lightest weights, I did add double to try and see if I could do that without hurting so much. It's not so much that I can't lift more, I'm not as strong as I use to be but can lift OK. The problem is I have so many pains that I've lived with for 20+ years. My shoulders, my hips, knees and plantars in my right foot.

My Chiropractor and the physical therapist I've just started going to both said DON'T PUT THE BARBELL BEHIND YOUR HEAD!! I've had 3 slipped dics in my neck and the PT said it is hard on your arms/shoulders. Chiro said because of my dics and his wife said if your just doing lunges anyway what they do at her gym is hold a weight against your body. What does it matter when it 's just lunges. Lunges kill my knees. My left knee cap moves to the side when I bend it - - one reason for PT.

Last year I decided to join the Y as the 8 miles a day (broken up throughout the day) wasn't doing a thing for me. Here was my scheduled
    Monday - Body Attack (high impact aerobics) .......................Tuesday Zumba.....................Wednesday Body Pump........Thursday my day off.......................Friday I just went in and did the machines. I did this from June until October when my foot just got way to bad with the plantars and I couldn't take the pain any more. I needed to give my foot a break. Anyway 5 months of that and I didn't lose ONE POUND, NOTHING, NADA, ZIP. I didn't even tone up. I was still doing my walking too a few miles a day.

How can someone work that hard every week faithfully for five months and nothing happen?????????????????????? I was journaling and trying to be sure I had protein but since I didn't have anyone to look it over I really don't know if I was having to many calories, not enough calories, not enough protein. I just know I was very and still am depressed over that.

What is it going to take for me to lose weight? I'm 55, been in menapause since I was 40. That is when a lot of my problems started. Going into menapause that early was not a good thing! I've gain a lot of weight since then.

Tammy

To lose weight, you're going to need to eat fewer calories. Diet is the easiest way to lose. Exercise is primarily for health/body composition.

As far as weight lifting goes, you need to find a trainer experienced in rehabilitation. There are modifications to the main compound lifts that you can probably use (but don't without consulting with your doctor), like front squats so you don't have the bar behind your head, etc.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Tammy

body pump isn't a weight lifting class- it's a cardio class with weights.

see a physical therapist.
    See someone who specialists in injury rehab

As far as "what's it going to take for me to lose weight?

a calorie deficit. Plain and simple.

Working out is great- but it's not the answer to weight loss- your diet is.
  • tpotter2013
    tpotter2013 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    remember the old saying "You will find your six pack in the kitchen, not the gym" meaning if you want tone you need to lower your body fat. That is diet not exercise. To quote the famous diet book Skinny ***** if you want to be a skinny ***** stop putting crap in your mouth.

that simple friend. Looking forward to seeing less of you !
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Tammy

body pump isn't a weight lifting class- it's a cardio class with weights.

see a physical therapist.
    See someone who specialists in injury rehab

As far as "what's it going to take for me to lose weight?

a calorie deficit. Plain and simple.

Working out is great- but it's not the answer to weight loss- your diet is.

This. Weight loss is a result of calorie deficit, plain and simple. If you're not losing after months you're not in a calorie deficit. Plain and simple. In terms of heavy lifting, heavy is relative to the person. Find a weight that challenges you, so that the amount of repetitions you can complete remains in the single digit range when performing basic, compound lifts. Increasing reps doesn't challenge the muscles so much as it challenges the cardiovascular system. In other words, you're doing cardio/endurance training rather than strength training. If you have physiological issues preventing you from doing this, such as a prior injury, then you won't find the answers you seek on this site. You need to see a medical specialist.