Anyone with chronic vertigo?

Options
Just wondering if there is anyone out there who suffers from chronic vertigo?

I was diagnosed with a viral brain infection two years ago and I have suffered from chronic vertigo and ringing in my ears since then. I find it VERY hard to workout with this.

I'm just wondering how often are you able to workout? Do you just power through the carousel feeling?

I'm having no problem losing weight but that it not my main goal as I'm fairly small. My main goal is to get fit but I am finding it hard to get a good workout in when it constantly feels like I am riding on a carousel.

Any help and support is GREATLY appreciated :) Thanks

Replies

• RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I don't, but my girlfriend has Meneres. She used to do marathons but now has cut back. She runs five km with me occasionally but mostly we walk. I think a challenge when we have a disability that changes is having a consistent schedule. I have another issue that keeps causing me to change my activity and routine. I have the mindset that I will always do "something" several times a week. So far I haven't given up or had too much trouble maintaining my weight.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My friend sees a physiotherapist to help with vertigo. She wears a hat and sunglasses to reduce distractions, she rests when she needs to. She naps now, when she never used to. She is still fit.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have positional vertigo, so I can avoid it most of the time. I will feel as if I'm free falling if I lay flat on my back or put my head back and look straight up. I can do my cardio (stationary bike and walking) and I do some weights and starting resistance bands. I can't do floor exercises or many on the stability ball.

I took vestibular rehab, but in the end, it didn't work and it made me so sick at the time that I have chosen to not try it again.

My heart goes out to you as I know how awful I can feel if I'm not careful. It must be difficult to cope.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    yep- its only really bothersome when I am going down a flight of stairs, or going from a low seated position to standing quickly- I lose my balance easily but I still run and workout. I have learned to develop FAST reflexes to catch myself from falling- i never let go of the handrail on the stairs, I do things at my own pace and try to breathe thru any anxiety I have about how dizzy I am or how long it will last.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I don't have chronic vertigo but I do get it occasionally. I believe mine is brought on by water in the ears or even wind on/in the ears. I limit swimming and when I do swim I wear swimmers ear plugs. I also wear ear bags over my ears on some of my bike rides and runs. Sounds strange to people that have never had vertigo but I will try anything to keep it from coming back.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have mender's disease. I got it after having my first ever major ear infection a few years ago. My doctor told me if i don't get up and move around every so often it will have more of an effect. Also I have found that taking a decongestant every 3 days or so, dries up the fluid that builds up and that has helped me tremendously! Be careful of your sodium intake, that makes the fluid build up worse. I never have an issue while working out or running. In fact I think it helps me because I'm moving. Like I said, if I'm sitting for a long period of time, I make it a point to get up and move around a little.
    Good luck to you, I totally feel your pain, and can relate. It sucks!
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've had Meniere's for a little over a year. First episode had me pass out in an ambulance and wake up in a hospital room. Thankfully, I learned how to minimize the risk of an episode and rarely have them anymore; none so bad as the first. If you can workout through severe vertigo, you are a stronger person than I. Any exercises that allow you to have your head braced would be better, at least for me. I'm talking dumbbell moves with your back flat on a bench/incline bench. If you created a thread asking for freeweight, possibly resistance band moves that can be done without moving your head from a bench, I bet you'd get quite a few.

Dumbbell bench, dumbbell chest fly, & tricep extensions. You could lie on your back and use resistance bands to do a modified leg press.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if there is anyone out there who suffers from chronic vertigo?

I was diagnosed with a viral brain infection two years ago and I have suffered from chronic vertigo and ringing in my ears since then. I find it VERY hard to workout with this.

I'm just wondering how often are you able to workout? Do you just power through the carousel feeling?

I'm having no problem losing weight but that it not my main goal as I'm fairly small. My main goal is to get fit but I am finding it hard to get a good workout in when it constantly feels like I am riding on a carousel.

Any help and support is GREATLY appreciated :) Thanks

I don't have chronic vertigo (thank god), but I have a long history of minor to severe vertigo sporadically for a day or two. I actually just recovered from a two week bout, which is really unusual for me. (I and my doctor don't know the cause, but we think it might be allergy and/or inner ear related.) I could hardly walk straight. I didn't do any cardio for the entire two weeks because I was afraid of falling over. (I've had severe vertigo before and taken bad spills.) I tried doing one of my strength training routines and while I got through it, I was incredibly nauseous by the end. I found yoga to be difficult because of the head changing position so often.

I would suggest something stationary for cardio, like a bike or elliptical. Or maybe even just slow walks. For strength training, again, stationary equipment is probably best for you. I'd definitely try different things and see what works best for you. The whole idea is to actually get yourself to work out, which you are not going to be inclined to do if you feel like *kitten* every time you do it!
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses :) Unfortunately I suffer from Vertigo daily and have had episodes that have lasted 24/7 for up to two weeks. I was put on a medication before but it made me feel even worse and after speaking with my physician I decided to stop. I do just power through it but some workouts are just out of the question most days such as Zumba which makes me feel awful. Thanks for all the different workout tips! I do weights but some such as squats with weights makes me dizzy so I just try to keep the weights light just in case. I'll have to look for some more good stationary weight exercises :) I also like to get out on my bike with my kids on good days. I don't let it hold me back but it is DEFINITELY a challenge.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This has helped me and some of my friends:
    Do a search on Epley Maneuver. It is to get the ear crystal back into place.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion :) I have heard of the manuevers but I don't have that kind of vertigo so it doens't work for me :(