Anybody LOST a lot of weight then GAINED it all back?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I kept trying to lose weight from exercise alone, and it would be like 20 or 30 lbs. back and forth.

I never logged or weighed until this. I plan to do it at least 3 years so it will become ingrained, but I don't know that I will ever stop, or if I do the second I think I am slipping up I will start again.

It changes everything, before I couldn't look at the portions on my plate and have a good idea of their weight/calories, I could eat that piece of cheesecake without thinking where I would make up those calories from. I think you have to remember all you learned, and that will make it easier.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I was 26ish, I lost 70lbs in about 7 months. I was incredibly motivated to lose the weight and put so much work into it. I kept it off for a few years ... and then gained back every single pound (between the ages of 30-34).

I started to put it back on because I went through a really bad break-up with someone I had been living with for a number of years, and found myself moving back home. Depression coupled with mom's comfort food ... and the fact that I moved away from a mult-mile hiking trail that started in my backyard, to the inner city ... it wrecked both my diet and my work-out.

Excuses? 100% absolutely. I totally recognize that.

And it wasn't until I stepped on the scale and saw that I'd literally gained back the entire 70lbs that I felt myself overcome with horror and shame.

All that work, wasted. Ugh.

But there is one positive. The first time I lost that 70lbs, it felt so very impossible. It was mentally exhausting because I kept telling myself "ugh, god, I'm never going to be able to do this."

This time it's different. I know I've lost 70lbs before. I know how I did it. I know the work it took. And I know that, over time, if I keep the work up, that weight will be gone.

I don't have that same level of mental exhaustion or that same level of negativity.

It's like playing a video game, struggling to get to the end and then getting killed ... sure, it sucks to have to go all the way back to the beginning, but now you're familiar with it, know what it takes, what works and what doesn't work, and you find yourself doing much better the 2nd time around.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This is such an honest and inspiring post. It really hit home to me as I read this. I am fully in agreement. It's not about perfection (always being in a deficit, for example) but about change and adopting permanent healthy choices. Good on you for being the one to say this...I think this actually reflects more people than we know (myself included).

:flowerforyou:
    My problem always seems to come down to shame. I stop writing down food because it's too much food. I stop going to the gym because I feel bad about eating too much food and I don't want to tell my trainer. I feel uncomfortable in my clothes so I don't go out as much because then people will know I've been bad. It seems all very immature but it really is what I have felt before. It isn't valid but it's real.

I HAVE TO track what I eat or I WILL slip up. Rarely is it what I eat, but how much of it I eat. I love to workout so I go, even when I'm uncomfortable. And I tell my trainer everything now, where I might not have before. And I start over, A LOT! The most common problem I have is when I start living my diet and exercise program as just a diet and a program. I have to wrap my mind around the changes I am making becoming FOREVER lifestyle changes instead of a temporary means to a goal. I hate even HAVING a goal weight because I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure.

That's me, my story!
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When I was 23, I started getting serious about my weight as I was close to crossing 200 pounds. I decided dietary fat was the enemy and went on a low fat diet. The weight came off really quick and I remember losing 20 pounds in one month. I started exercising as well but really had no idea about fueling my body. I don't know how long it took but I lost 60+ pounds and was happy with the way I looked. The way I felt was totally different, I was constantly bloated and had no energy. I could easily spend 1 1/2 - 2 hours at the gym and worked a full time physical job as well as helped my dad with his cleaning business. I think I was constantly netting negative calories.

When I turned 26, I met my future husband. We constantly ate out as he lived in the barricks and I lived with my dad. The weight stayed off because of me being so physical but once we got married and moved in together, I got content and the weight piled on. I wasn't used to eating so much food! I went back to school and wasn't as active as I used to be. The weight came on pretty quick in the two years I was in school and I haven't been able to get rid of it.

Now i'm pregnant with our first child and ready to burst (due date is next Sunday..lol). I was close to 100+ pounds heavier than when we met. Now I have the tools to make sure I lose this weight the proper way that is healthy for me. I will continue with walks after the baby is born and get back into my strength training when the doctor gives me the okay.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    I have gone through several cycles of this. My biggest gain ended me up at 425 i think is what the scale said it might have been more like 428...point is I was very very large and on a 5ft 3 frame. the weight didnt start coming off no matter what I did until I started to deal with some of my issues inside. When one changes the ideals in ones brain about themselves and releases old hurt and pain...it comes off and stays off. It stays off because you are no longer in a constant battle with yourself. I as a whole eat very healthy now...carrots instead of chips. But I do have chips, pizza, anything I want, even candy. I just dont gorge on it...I dont even measure servings anymore. I dont mark my food on here. I used to and it drove me crazy all the numbers etc. lol So I just do my own thing and I seem to lose a pretty steady amount of weight. I am constantly moving my body...somedays are more than others...I just choose to enjoy myself losing the weight and enjoy the exercise I do...My main chosen exercise is belly dance and kettlebell. I do many other things and just because I can now. lol

My advice is...learn to fall in love with yourself. Then learn how to honor yourself...yourself being your "being". Then this transition to lose the weight will be pleasurable, not a thorn in your side and you will have fun eating whats right for your body and have fun eating fun things like pizza, pasta, ice cream...and exercising.

Be blessed.

P.S. I want to make it clear I eat ALL day long...lol I am never hungry.