Virgin Gym-er

Options
Hi guys, so i am going to the gym for the first time starting next week with a buddy and I am freaking out how out of shape I might be and I don't know where to start. I don't want to be laughed at. Any suggestions???

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on your work-out. I never pay much attention to the other people in the gym. When I see really big people at the gym, I always think that it's good that their starting. We are all at different places in our journey. Good luck to ya!:flowerforyou:
  • stif9
    stif9 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Coming from a bro, nobody gives a **** how you look unless you are huge and jacked out of your mind, so people will start wondering if you are juicing. If you are just out of shape most people will glance at you and respect you because you are trying to make a change, thats all. Good luck on your journey and dont ****ing quit.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you and your buddy are both going for the first time, ask a trainer to help you out, a lot of times they will give some friendly advice without charging. If your buddy is a veteran gym goer than he/she should know what to do. A lot of people in the gym are more friendly than we look, we are just intense with our workouts. I personally would gladly help anyone that asks for it. As for laughing at you, probably won't happen, in general people are more concerned with their own workouts than others. If they do laugh at you I would wonder what they are doing there, cause chances are they aren't working out like they should be.
  • teekaleek05
    teekaleek05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Congrats on starting at the gym!. I know the gym can be super intimidating and I hated it when I first started because I had the exact same fears...I would always run upstairs right away to grab a cardio machine and look down at the weight room and wait till all the meat heads cleared out so I could go in. ....then one day I realized WTF!! WHY am I doing this..why am I hiding? these ppl were outta shape and fat once too!! We are all here for the same reason. To get healthier and better ourselves so anyone who laughs or stares at me deserves their *kitten* kicked....it took a lot of courage but one day I walked into the gym and did EXACTLY what I wanted to do even tho the gym was full of super fit ppl everywhere.

Its all.in your head ya know. Just keep in mind all of those ppl are actually applauding u for taking this step. The gym is kinda a big deal for most really outta shape ppl trust me!!! But don't u worry! U will do great and its not as scary once u get outta your head. It might take some time but you can do it!! Good luck :)
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Options
    You really missed out on a good opportunity of using the word....

Virgym
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Virgym

That's a pretty cool word!!!

Anyway op just remember they were all once new! A lot of people mistake the gym for some place where everyone judges everyone , but in reality I think everyone is way to busy with what they are doing to even care about what others get upto or how fit people are :happy:
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It isn't that bad. Most gyms have people of all shapes and sizes. So, no biggy.

Just follow proper etiquette. Wipe down machines you use, avoid walking in front of people using mirrors to keep good form, don't stare, etc.

Most people there really just want to get in and get what they need done and get out. So, very unlikely people will pay attention to you unless you get in the way or cause a scene.

When I first went to the gym, I was horrified thinking all that would be there were super in shape people. But in reality, there wasn't that many of those. Most were every day people, some heavily over weight. I always admired the really big guys there, cuz they were getting done what needed to be done.

Go to the gym and mean it. Then no one will laugh at you, they'll admire you.
  • jj_jupiter
    jj_jupiter Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own s*&t they're dealing with. They're not looking at you. Nobody cares. When i see someone that is obviously new, i think good for them for getting out here. The hardest part of going to the gym is going to the gym.

Take it slow at first and make sure you get a trainer to help you set a routine and show you proper form. You can hurt yourself if you're not careful. Try all the classes and see what clicks. I love spinning. Hate everything else. Look at strength training as a challenge. Set some goals for yourself. Right now mine is bench pressing 30lb dumbells. I'm up to 25. woo hoo!
  • kuchurimal
    kuchurimal Posts: 13
    Options
    You guys are all awesome!!!! Thank you so so so much...it feels like I've won half the battle already :) THank you guys!!!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights! Ignore the cardio machines. Except for maybe the stair stepper, that thing will shred you.
  • kuchurimal
    Options

Virgym

Dang!!!!Why didn't I think of that :explode: !!!! Awesome!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kuchurimal
    Options
    It isn't that bad. Most gyms have people of all shapes and sizes. So, no biggy.

Just follow proper etiquette. Wipe down machines you use, avoid walking in front of people using mirrors to keep good form, don't stare, etc.

Most people there really just want to get in and get what they need done and get out. So, very unlikely people will pay attention to you unless you get in the way or cause a scene.

When I first went to the gym, I was horrified thinking all that would be there were super in shape people. But in reality, there wasn't that many of those. Most were every day people, some heavily over weight. I always admired the really big guys there, cuz they were getting done what needed to be done.

Go to the gym and mean it. Then no one will laugh at you, they'll admire you.
    Thank you so much....I will be mindful!!!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Practical suggestions that helped me when I was in your shoes:
    1) make a plan: before you go to the gym, plan what your workout is going to be. That way you don't wander around aimlessly looking like you don't know what you're doing.

2) look up YouTube videos on proper form and how to do all the exercises you planned. When you get to the gym, you will recognize the machines and know exactly what to do.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    No one will pay one bit of attention! Everyone keeps their head down, earphones in, and concentrates on what they are doing. In fact, don't be put off because people really don't even acknowledge you. I'm one of those people who smiles and nods to everyone. Took me a while to realize that they won't even see you. As busy as some gyms are, they are really very private places. Just remember to ALWAYS wipe down your equipment and you will be fine!