Carbs vs. Calories

Options
I have recently decided to drag myself back on the wagon and lose some more weight. However, I can't decide if I want to count carbs or calories.

A few years ago, I diligently tracked calories for around a year and got close to my goal weight before gaining it all back. A few months ago, I went low-carb (25g/day) and lost 7 pounds in 12 days. However, I had to give that up. All the hard-to-digest proteins made my acid reflux act up. Add in the stress of school, and it got pretty bad.

Now that it's summer, I want to lose some more weight before going back to school, but I can't decide which I want to count. Carbs were easier because the denser foods made me feel fuller throughout the day, whereas on the calorie-counting, all I could think about was how many I had left and how I needed to "save" them for dinner, even though I was hungry. And the acid reflux can easily be managed with a PPI, especially now that I'm out of college for a couple more months. But the quick weight loss from carb counting makes me scared that it would easily come back.

I guess I'm mostly just asking about the pros/cons for each and whether other people had more success doing one that the other. Thanks!

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You can successfully use weight doing either in isolation.

Doing both may give you the best opportunity of overall success.

Whatever happens you will need to be eating in a deficit.
  • rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is a must. You can lose weight counting carbs, but that's only because you've reduced your calories.

To recap:

You must count calories

You can choose to count/reduce carbs

What he said.

Additionally, all carbs are plant-based (yes, some plant-based carbs also have significant protein. I know). So are you really talking about significantly reducing or cutting out all vegetables and fruits, or just refined/over-processed carbs?

I eat about 30% of my calories in fruits/veggies per day because I need high levels of protein due to malabsorption of that macro. I eat very little grain/flour because I just don't have room for it. I am not low carb, but I lose weight due to the low calories and low processing (hence low additives) of my foods.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Fewer carbs makes me feel fuller and generally lighter (less bloating), but gosh... If it doesn't make you feel great, don't do it. You can't stick with something that makes you feel like crap. Either way requires a calorie deficit to lose weight. Both work.
  • lindseedenae
    Options
    If it doesn't make you feel great, don't do it. You can't stick with something that makes you feel like crap.

Yeah, which is why I was planning on buying some Prilosec or similar if I decide to do low carb. It will manage my acid reflux and enable me to follow it without problem.
    So are you really talking about significantly reducing or cutting out all vegetables and fruits, or just refined/over-processed carbs?

No, I don't go out of my way to avoid them; I just usually don't eat a lot veggies and fruits anyway because I don't really like them. I may have a tomato and lettuce on a burger or some pineapple in my stir fry, but other than that, I don't eat much.

Thanks for the info, everyone
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I count both...and with Myfitnesspal it's very easy to do. I was counting calories before I went low carb, so it was easy for me to just continue...all I did was change what I ate. I know that there's got to be a deficit to lose weight, so for me I like to make sure I'm at a deficit. Although I do know people who lost weight counting just carbs.

What low carb does for me is it makes it easier for me to stay at that deficit. This is the closest I've been to my goal weight in a decade and a half. When I was just tracking calories and eating anything I wanted, I struggled with staying under my calories. It seems like if I have carbs, I want more carbs. And I was always hungry. And eventually I would give up and gain all the weight back and more after a month or two.

That's my experience with losing weight both with carbs and counting calories. Lowering my carbs has been the only thing that has worked for me longer than two months. I haven't gotten to the maintenance part yet, so I'm not sure yet of how maintaining my ideal weight is going to work or how well it's going to work. I do know that after all this effort, I'm going to do my best not to gain it all back.

I do agree that if something is making you feel bad, you're less likely to keep with it. Whichever way you pick, good luck!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Count calories. The "7 pounds in 12 days" was only water weight from cutting carbs. You won't lose fat any faster. Obviously low carb doesn't agree with your acid reflux, why make your self suffer with something for no good reason?
  • lindseedenae
    Options
    I count both...

Thanks! I've always heard that you have to pick one or the other, carbs or calories. Obviously, if you go low-carb you can't just completely forget about calories and eat tons of things that have no to low carb count. And the other way around. But tracking both was a bad idea. I never asked why.

My problem with low-cal is that I always felt really restricted. When I was on my low carb, I felt like I could eat a lot more and worry less. I just ate a lot of meats (bunless burger, ham spinach wrap, grilled chicken salad, turkey bacon & sausage, etc.) and eggs (scrambled, deviled, sunny side up, etc.). They don't have any carbs, so I ate them without even thinking about numbers. Most of the carbs that I did eat were vegetable-based soups or milk (as a short-term help for acid reflux). The main reason I didn't go through with it was because of the dizziness and burning esophagus as my stomach went into overdrive producing more acid for the sudden increase of proteins. Also, the quick loss spooked me a little. Everyone's heard the "quick to lose, quick to gain" thing.

Do you put a limit to both? If so, what are they? Before, I stuck with a calorite limit of 1250 with my low-cal diet. And then a carb limit of 25 for my low-carb diet. If I were tracking both, would I need to increase both limits? Or just one?
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I do both. Go for low carbs within your calorie goals. I find 100-150 carbs a day to be perfect (except on weekends). No need to go too low. Find a comfortable balance that makes you feel good.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I count both...

Thanks! I've always heard that you have to pick one or the other, carbs or calories. Obviously, if you go low-carb you can't just completely forget about calories and eat tons of things that have no to low carb count. And the other way around. But tracking both was a bad idea. I never asked why.

My problem with low-cal is that I always felt really restricted. When I was on my low carb, I felt like I could eat a lot more and worry less. I just ate a lot of meats (bunless burger, ham spinach wrap, grilled chicken salad, turkey bacon & sausage, etc.) and eggs (scrambled, deviled, sunny side up, etc.). They don't have any carbs, so I ate them without even thinking about numbers. Most of the carbs that I did eat were vegetable-based soups or milk (as a short-term help for acid reflux). The main reason I didn't go through with it was because of the dizziness and burning esophagus as my stomach went into overdrive producing more acid for the sudden increase of proteins. Also, the quick loss spooked me a little. Everyone's heard the "quick to lose, quick to gain" thing.

Do you put a limit to both? If so, what are they? Before, I stuck with a calorite limit of 1250 with my low-cal diet. And then a carb limit of 25 for my low-carb diet. If I were tracking both, would I need to increase both limits? Or just one?

The reason you felt fuller on low-carb is that it tends to be higher in fat and protein. Both of those help you feel more satisfied, so you get hungry less frequently.

I suggest you use MFP to set your calorie goal. Enter in your statistics and how much you want to lose per week. If you have less than 40 lbs to lose than 1.5 lb or 2 lb per week is to aggressive. If you have less than 10lb to lose then you should probably aim for .5 lb per week. Remember that the MFP calorie target is before exercise, so you will want to log your exercise and eat a portion of your exercise calories back. You might find that your calorie target is higher than the 1250 you have used in the past so you will not feel as restricted. I still have a long way to go and lose about 2lbs per week on 1600-1700 per day.

As for carbs if you are wanting to go into ketosis, then you need to have very low carbs. The keto groups could tell you how low as that is a biochemical reaction that you need to initiate. Otherwise you can set a carb target to whatever you want it to be. For example my calories are about 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carb. That works out to target of 127g of carbs per day, and I use that as a high water mark. I don't go over that. By low-carb standards that is not low, but compared to the standard updated standards from the US government that recommend 45% to 65% of calories come from carbohydrates, my intake is low.

You need to find a balance that works for you. You need to count calories to have a deficit and lose weight. But you don't want to be so restrictive that you are always hungry or feel deprived. You will see people on MFP that have lost weight using a variety of macro combinations. Find one that works for you that lets you enjoy foods you like so you don't feel deprived. For example, I like pizza and I'd rather have a slice of real pizza with real crust than a low-carb crust alternative. So occasionally I work a slice of pizza into my calorie and macro goals for the day. I don't feel guilty, or as if I've cheated because I'm still within my calorie goals for the day.

If you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. There is no single answer on what you should eat to meet that calorie goal. You need to discover what works for your body and lifestyle.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Do not start a 'diet' that is going to make you sick (you stated low carb made you sick). Obviously it will not be sustainable. Calorie restriction is your best way to go. And think of it in terms of a lifestyle change.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is a must. You can lose weight counting carbs, but that's only because you've reduced your calories.

To recap:

You must count calories

This !^ Losing weight is all about calorie deficit.

Maintaining weight lost is another matter.............this is about CHANGE....some form of permanent change.

Do you expect to be low carb for life? Will you have at least some low carb days a week forever? I don't do low carb (although the water weight lost in the beginning is nice motivation) because it doesn't give me the tools I need to keep weight off.

I need to manage those calorie dense portions for the rest of my life.
  • lindseedenae
    Options
    scubasuenc, thaks for all that. I have around 60 pounds to lose, so MFP automatically sets my limit to 1200. Which I pretty constantly have trouble staying under. In the past two weeks, I've stayed under my goal a total of (1) time. It's really discouraging, which is why I'm debating switchting to carb counting again.

lizziebeth102, I stated low carb made me sick, but that that could easily be managed with an acid reflux medicine. Acid reflux is a problem I already have on an almost daily basis that I control with an antacid as needed. I would just need to switch to a daily pill to keep that under check better.

Again, thanks everyone for weighing in on this. I'm going to give it some more thought and do some more research on it. But keep responding if you have a contribution. :flowerforyou:
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For me, as a 38 year old, 5'3, 153 pound female, I do 1200 - 1300 calories with 10% carbs, 70% fat, 23% protein. When I first started this, I was around 178 pounds and lost anywhere from 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. Sometimes I'll still hit the 1.5 pound weight loss, but as I get closer to my goal, most of the time I lose just a little under a pound a week. Some people will say that my numbers are too aggressive, but it's working for me, and it's making me happy.

Also when I first started this, my numbers were different. I started out on a strict 1200 calorie diet with 70 grams coming from carbs. Now it's usually about 30 grams of carbs a day.

So if you're going to do this, I would say play with the numbers a bit and figure out where you're comfortable at, and what works for you. You have to find something you'll actually be able to do so you can stick with it. I'm not sure I could have gone from eating 200 carbs a day down to 30 grams a day instantly...the gradual decline of carbs really helped. There's some things I still need to learn. Still not getting enough fruits and vegetables, but that was a problem before the low carb diet...just don't like many of them :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Reducing carbs will greatly alter water retention. Most of that 7 pounds you cite was water lost, not fat.

Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to count carbs.

That being said, obvious is obvious, choose carbs like broccoli and other vegetables over twinkies and ho-hos. Most carb foods contain significant portions of vitamins and minerals that your body needs.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

To recap:

You must count calories

This !^ Losing weight is all about calorie deficit.

Maintaining weight lost is another matter.............this is about CHANGE....some form of permanent change.

Do you expect to be low carb for life? Will you have at least some low carb days a week forever? I don't do low carb (although the water weight lost in the beginning is nice motivation) because it doesn't give me the tools I need to keep weight off.

I need to manage those calorie dense portions for the rest of my life.

OP, all of the above.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The key is to adopt a plan that you could maintain for the rest of your life. Therefore, the million dollar question is which one will give you longivity in not only losing weight but maintaining it for the rest of your life?
  • lindseedenae
    Options
    That's a good point-- the maintenance. I believe that low-carb would be much easier for me to maintain. Like I said, I already have a problem staying under my goal, and I'm constantly obsessing about what I'm eating and how many I have left. It stresses me out more to try to count calories than carbs, because there are so many options that I can eat without affecting my carb count. It allows me to eat without feeling guilty or hungry all day.

Obviously, I'm still going to keep calories in mind, but I think I'm going to start focusing on carbs.

Continue posting if you wish and I'll keep taking them into consideration. :wink:
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Worrying about calories is enough for me. Provided that I am under a calorie deficit and minimum fat and proteins are met, I don't care too much about carb intake.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Counting calories - but its important to make sure your calorie target is appropriate.