WTF is up with this 4 month plateau?

Options

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    May be your scale. Have you tried other scales? Changed the batteries? Have someone else weigh themselves then weigh yourself and see if it changes.

My scale was about to die and it told me the same weight for about a month. I changed the batteries and it helped for awhile. Eventually it stopped working and I bought a new one and it works great.

lol if this is the problem, im going to die laughing. My scale can give me 5 different numbers all in a 5 minute time frame. I bet its dead. buying a new one tonight.

No word of a lie this happened to me in the last two months. I've lost weight in a healthy way before and knew my numbers off the bat.. I was losing a ton of inches, body fat percentage was in the fitness range yet the scale did not move from 180lbs. Started weighing myself on another scale consistently for the last couple of weeks, turns out I'm 172.5lbs now LOL. Which is pretty much in line with the amount of weight I should have lost up to that day

I do agree though that you should definitely go by how your clothes fit - if they are feeling tight initially, take photos. Always take your measurements because there will be times where the scale will not move and it's not because your battery is dead. I only use the scale cause I'm really big on knowing my numbers and can handle it. Most people have a hard time with the scale.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

i have technically lost like 1/2 inch on all parts, but at 188 pounds I still have fat left to lose. Lean women dont weigh 188 pounds lol, more like 140. Im just ready to see the numbers drop again.

NOT TRUE
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not infallible. There are any number of factors that can affect accuracy. I also notice you use it for strength training, which it is not accurate for.

Also, there are some totally blank days and what seem like some incomplete days in your diary.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Getting your thyroid checked isn't part of basic bloodwork (at least it wasn't for me). I had to ask for it specifically (runs in the females of my family in a major way) and even then, insurance wouldn't cover it unless I had symptoms. I was "fatigued". :smile: Not being able to lose weight is a symptom of hypo.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else.But when I hit a brick wall I integrated supplements into my diet.Things that helped my body obtain what I was missing.
    Like the xxx kit. I was able to reduce my calories, be full and get way more vitamins and nutrients than I was getting on my own.The only bi-product was that I began to feel great. I know everybody doesn't believe in losing weight with anything besides working out and food.But I chose xxx because it is xxx

If you are interested my girl still sells it

coupon code if its your first time on the site.
    I hope that yeps :)

Solid first post. Also against the rules

(Edited to remove the advertising).
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of, other than what everyone else has already said...are your blood sugar levels normal (you're not hypoglycemic or hyperglycemic) or are you under a lot of stress recently? Periods of very high stress always stops my weight loss even if I'm eating the same amount of calories, not sure exactly why but it stinks.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of, other than what everyone else has already said...are your blood sugar levels normal (you're not hypoglycemic or hyperglycemic) or are you under a lot of stress recently? Periods of very high stress always stops my weight loss even if I'm eating the same amount of calories, not sure exactly why but it stinks.

THIS^^^ Stress does a NUMBER on your cortisol levels...sounds kinda crunchy, but try some meditation to get your stress levels lower. It's great to think 'nothing' for a few minutes a day.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Just took a quick look at your diary, when you have skinless chicken thighs what do you cook them with? same with your veggie patties, I don't see any cooking oils, condiments, accounted for anywhere in your diary. What do you drink are you logging that?

Also saw a 1/3 pizza for 260 calories?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a plateau. A plateau is a make believe concept which just means that you are eating at a level to maintain your current weight. So millions of people who are intentionally doing this are not on a plateau. Neither are you. You are just not eating at a deficit.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Notice any other symptoms -- cold, dry ski/hair, constipation, fatigue, cravings for sweets, bread or pasta?

In.
    Curious as to why you asked the quoted portion. What am I missing?
    Those are characteristic symptoms in hypothyroidism.

K
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The cravings for sweets, bread, pasta, etc. is more for insulin resistance, but the other ones are for hypothyroidism.
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Sarie_Bronish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Getting your thyroid checked isn't part of basic bloodwork (at least it wasn't for me). I had to ask for it specifically (runs in the females of my family in a major way) and even then, insurance wouldn't cover it unless I had symptoms. I was "fatigued". :smile: Not being able to lose weight is a symptom of hypo.

My appointment was for blood work panels to check why I wasn't losing weight. They checked my thyroid.
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Options
    No such thing as a plateau. A plateau is a make believe concept which just means that you are eating at a level to maintain your current weight. So millions of people who are intentionally doing this are not on a plateau. Neither are you. You are just not eating at a deficit.

There is no way <1500 calories is my maintenance calories.
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Options
    Just took a quick look at your diary, when you have skinless chicken thighs what do you cook them with? same with your veggie patties, I don't see any cooking oils, condiments, accounted for anywhere in your diary. What do you drink are you logging that?

Also saw a 1/3 pizza for 260 calories?

it was one pizza slice that's just how it scanned in. If I use cooking oil I track it. If you don't see it in my diary its because I didn't use it that day I typically grill my chicken so that I don't have to use cooking oils at all.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options

THIS^^^ Stress does a NUMBER on your cortisol levels...sounds kinda crunchy, but try some meditation to get your stress levels lower. It's great to think 'nothing' for a few minutes a day.

It sounds like you're burning a huge amount of calories during your workouts. You may not physically feel like you're overtraining, but if your body thinks you are it may further increase your cortisol production, leading to weight gain or maintenance weight no matter how hard you work. I fell into the same cycle as you...worked out like a beast doing Insanity and running 4-5 miles a few times a week, and my body just refused to let go of anything. Took about a week off to relax and dropped my workouts to every other day, and things have been progressing positively again. And be sure you're getting your zzzzzz's!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I had a 14-month weight plateau. But I did not have a 14-month size plateau. Over that year, 4 inches came of the waist, the hips and the chest (each). Measuring month to month didn't necessarily seem to show a decrease in size, but couple of months and it was evident that there was really a half-inch, or so, difference from the reading 2-3 months prior.

My exercise routine was pretty routine (in that I followed a routine every day).

Then, it took a step change in the exercise routine (a 10% increase in the level of exercise). With that, last 20 pounds came off over 10 months to reach my target weight. I switched over to "maintenance," continued the increased level of cardio activity and my weight continued to fall. It dropped to 7 pounds below my target weight.

Once I started to train for a marathon and had finally reached half-marathon training distances, my weight came back up and has maintained a fairly tight range except immediately after a race. But to people who only see me once every 2-4 months, I still look (to them) like I am losing weight. Even at maintenance, my body is still rearranging itself. More muscle mass, less fat, I presume.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    So, looking at your diary, I would suggest upping protein intake ( set a goal to reach every day), reduce dependance on protein bars and shakes, (limit to 1 per day), and decrease carbs (again set a goal to stay under a certain amount). Fat will fall into place. I liked your eggs/avocado today. Focus on natural sources for protein like beef, chicken, and pork and add some veggies. I also notice you eat a fair amount of cheese? I think cheese is great, I just might limit it to 1-2 oz per day or a harder cheese.

I am hypothyoid, have some autoimmune issues, and hormonal imbalances that I am trying to manage/improve with diet. It has taken years of push/pull with my eating habits to realize the above. I notice that I only lose if I keep net carbs around 100, and protein up around 100g. I eat a fair amount of fat in the form of avocados, coconut and coconut oil, nuts, and olive oil. I am fairly active and do ballet 6-7 times/week along with other activities. I estimate about 450 cals burned per day. This week, I've eaten about 1900 cals per day and I'm on track to lose 2 lbs (I officially weigh Mondays). So, just some background so you understand where my advice comes from. I am gluten and dairy free as well, which has helped me reduce cravings by 95%. I find that amazing.

Hope that helps!!

Eta: I have eaten more carbs and mor processed foods at lower calorie levels and maintained or gained. I have done much experimenting. I am also 5'10" and weigh about 175 at the moment.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a professional, just sharing what I do that works well for me.

When my scale isn't moving enough, I will spend one day eating several hundred calories over my normal amount. Then on the second day I reduce my intake by several hundred. The third day I eat my normal allowance. The forth day I have always (knock.on wood) seen a scale change and it seems to get my body back to normal. I do this when it seems as though my body has "gotten used to" what I have been doing.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I had a 14-month weight plateau. But I did not have a 14-month size plateau. Over that year, 4 inches came of the waist, the hips and the chest (each). Measuring month to month didn't necessarily seem to show a decrease in size, but couple of months and it was evident that there was really a half-inch, or so, difference from the reading 2-3 months prior.

My exercise routine was pretty routine (in that I followed a routine every day).

Then, it took a step change in the exercise routine (a 10% increase in the level of exercise). With that, last 20 pounds came off over 10 months to reach my target weight. I switched over to "maintenance," continued the increased level of cardio activity and my weight continued to fall. It dropped to 7 pounds below my target weight.

Once I started to train for a marathon and had finally reached half-marathon training distances, my weight came back up and has maintained a fairly tight range except immediately after a race. But to people who only see me once every 2-4 months, I still look (to them) like I am losing weight. Even at maintenance, my body is still rearranging itself. More muscle mass, less fat, I presume.

good to know. thank you for sharing~
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and didn't notice many fruits or vegetables. Maybe trying to eat more fresh foods would change things somewhat?