cut the SUGAR out

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The movie, Fed Up, is getting a HUGE response with the challenge that happened the past 10 days. It will educate more people, who have no clue about the danger of sugar. Now we have to help people wean themselves off from the addiction. Sugar is as addictive as heroine! We are beginning to work on that now.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
    Heroine: A female hero.
    Heroin: An opitate drug.

I am not sure how addictive heroines are, probably about as addictive as sugar...not. :)

I'm a big fan of nitpicking...

...but when you do it, you really should be extra diligent in proofreading your own post.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I get what everyone is say, but can we agree that anything taken in excess can be bad for you? The truth is that excess sugar spurs inflammation which we know is bad for your body. So I'd say, why not cut it down and limit it in your diet?

I think that's what most people are saying when they speak of eliminating added sugars or processed sugars. Cut back on total sugar by not adding sugar or only using natural sugars.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    OP, thanks for sharing what works for you.

Last year before finding MFP, I was bingeing on sugar all the time. In a span of 5 years, I gained back 30 of the 70 pounds I'd lost several years earlier.

I felt as if I was addicted to sugar because if I eat too much I get all loopy, and I was going to cut that evil stuff out of my diet FOREVER.

Then I began studying the people w/o have been/are successful with weight loss and....what? They ate sugar too? I made a deal with myself not to cut any foods out I love, including sugar, and began to practice the art of moderation.

Moderation works. We gain weight due to eating more than we burn.

Disregard any posts advocating that sugar makes you fat, is bad for you, or is the root of all evil, because these are lies. Only eliminate sugar if your doctor advises you to do so, in which case you will probably have diabetes or other sugar related problem.
    That would be because being overweight is the problem, it may be caused by consumption of a lot of sweet drinks and sugary things, but the person is probably eating too much food overall. That is what we all did to gain weight...let's just be honest about it.
    Um...no, sweet drinks and sugary things do not cause weight gain unless you eat over your calorie allowance all day with nothing by sweet drinks and sugary things. In other words, you can drink/eat nothing but sugary stuff at a calorie deficit and still lose weight. It's over consumption because that's all you are eating/drinking and not getting proper nutrients.

What you do to gain weight is to eat too much of ANYTHING (caps for emphasis), even all of what some would describe as "healthy" food. Heck, you can gain weight eating nothing but fruits and vegetables if you eat too much.

Let's say my TDEE is 2000 calories. If I eat 1800 calories of sugary drinks and 1800 calories of lentils, would I be likely to lose at the same rate?
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have had great success moving to an all whole foods diet without added sugar and reduced fruit (basically a low fructose diet). I've lost weight, food cravings little to none, skin looks fantastic, better sleep, digestion improved...this list goes on. I'm not saying you can't ever have a piece of cake again but as a daily behavior modification I just don't see the downside of watching the sugar intake. The increase in obesity pretty well correlates to the increase in our sugar consumption. As far as addictiveness? There are studies that show rats additcted to coccaine will choose sugar over coccaine with consistency.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I'm going to cut out all/most natural sugars and only eat added sugars.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, and this is the main reason it has taken me so long to lose the excess weight. Sugar is the most addictive substance I have ever come across.

I find that if I make sure to get enough protein (fish, lean meats, lentils, plain yogurt), and fill up on that plus salads, vegetables, and low GI fruits, I am stronger mentally and emotionally, and less susceptible to sugar binges. For me, sugar slip-ups occur during those moments of weakness when I've let myself get too hungry and am also tired, stressed, or upset.

This is my down fall too! Too tired, hungry and/or stressed to care sometimes means slip ups.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

So you're switching to a SAD. lol
  • bcattoes
    Options

Hmm, sounds difficult. What will you add it to? meat?
  • Lexadelphia
    Options
    He still cries when he poops. Thanks for being cool, guys.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, and this is the main reason it has taken me so long to lose the excess weight. Sugar is the most addictive substance I have ever come across.

I find that if I make sure to get enough protein (fish, lean meats, lentils, plain yogurt), and fill up on that plus salads, vegetables, and low GI fruits, I am stronger mentally and emotionally, and less susceptible to sugar binges. For me, sugar slip-ups occur during those moments of weakness when I've let myself get too hungry and am also tired, stressed, or upset.

This is my down fall too! Too tired, hungry and/or stressed to care sometimes means slip ups.

I totally agree! And if you make sure to eat the whole fruit so you are getting the fiber that nature intended to go with sugar to keep things moving in your system and lessen the sugar load that is ideal.
  • Jen5000
    Jen5000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "Sugar is sugar" is LEGALLY true. That's it. I don't believe for one minute the natural sugar found in fruit is processed the same and equal to the CHEAP high fructose syrup used by many manufacturers as nothing but an attempt to a) cut corners, and b) hide sugar from the label as a top ingredient. There are studies to list that high fructose corn syrup may inhibit the hormone leptin, which is what signals the brain "you're full, stop eating". Time, 2009, All Sugars Aren't The Same. The Double Danger of High Fructose Corn Syrup, Modern Foods, March 2010...and others, to Google it retrieves:
    https://www.google.com/#q=high+fructose+corn+syrup+inhibits+leptin
  • cpoole313
    cpoole313 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try eliminating anything processed that way you can better control the sugar. If that's impossible watch out for "low fat" labeled foods as they add other forms of sugar to compensate for the fat/flavour they remove. Read somewhere that we have gotten even fatter since the low fat craze began (I think in the 80's or early 90's). There are many more knowledgeable folks on the site so I'm sure you'll get some great tips.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Try eliminating anything processed that way you can better control the sugar. If that's impossible watch out for "low fat" labeled foods as they add other forms of sugar to compensate for the fat/flavour they remove. Read somewhere that we have gotten even fatter since the low fat craze began (I think in the 80's or early 90's). There are many more knowledgeable folks on the site so I'm sure you'll get some great tips.

Alternatively, just track your calories using MFP (making sure you hit your protein and fat minimums) while limiting total calories to a reasonable daily deficit until you reach your goal and add enough exercise to improve your overall health.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Well, this topic will go on forever with every opinion. I did not mean to imply that sugar is EVIL or that I NEVER, EVER have it. But those who watch their sugar intake will also automatically and without trying to follow a "diet" can lose weight simply by cutting out lots of sugar and the "junk" carbs. If you consume a lot of it, you might as well give yourself a huge dose of insulin, which = fat storing hormone. I steer clear of everything I know is loaded ... sugared cereal, cookies, cakes, etc. as well as TRANS fats. After a few weeks of this, I rarely have cravings for it. And no, all sugar is not equal. Someone (don't even recall what product it's for) runs a commercial where the person makes a statement that "sugar is sugar". That's not true. I'm not much of a fruit person, but I have the fruits I like (which happen to be some of the lowest sugar ones...strawberries, watermelon) but this natural sugar is not the same as the high fructose "CHEAP" sugar in processed junk food and hidden in lots of other foods so they don't have to list "SUGAR" as a top ingredient. There are studies that show the "CHEAP" high fructose syrup sugar inhibits our hormones from signalling the brain when we're full. And people who keep eating or eat when not hungry...which = gaining weight - what do people tend to eat when they're not really hungry...SUGAR or salt. Staying conscious of how much sugar you consume and being aware of it - helps you eat healthy without feeling deprived, it becomes a lifestyle and not a 'diet'.

Opinion, anecdotal, and some just wrong. Your body treats all sugars the same. You can over eat and gain weight while not eating sugar. Please post these studies. Thanks.

Your body might but your mind ... not necessarily. For those people who have a hard time not going overboard with sugary things, it may be best for them to eliminate the 'crap' sugary things rather than to try and fit them into their daily cals.

Um, no. Not really.

Um, yes. Really.

Just because that route may not work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.
    You are confusing your opinion with science. Any peer reviewed studies to back it up? Sugar is not addictive and would necessarily have to be for your premise to be true. Lack of self control isn't addiction.

Never said sugar is evil, never said it was an addiction. What I actually said was "For those people who have a hard time not going overboard with sugary things, it may be best for them to eliminate the 'crap' sugary things rather than to try and fit them into their daily cals".
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    OP, thanks for sharing what works for you.

Last year before finding MFP, I was bingeing on sugar all the time. In a span of 5 years, I gained back 30 of the 70 pounds I'd lost several years earlier.

I felt as if I was addicted to sugar because if I eat too much I get all loopy, and I was going to cut that evil stuff out of my diet FOREVER.

Then I began studying the people w/o have been/are successful with weight loss and....what? They ate sugar too? I made a deal with myself not to cut any foods out I love, including sugar, and began to practice the art of moderation.

Moderation works. We gain weight due to eating more than we burn.

Disregard any posts advocating that sugar makes you fat, is bad for you, or is the root of all evil, because these are lies. Only eliminate sugar if your doctor advises you to do so, in which case you will probably have diabetes or other sugar related problem.
    That would be because being overweight is the problem, it may be caused by consumption of a lot of sweet drinks and sugary things, but the person is probably eating too much food overall. That is what we all did to gain weight...let's just be honest about it.
    Um...no, sweet drinks and sugary things do not cause weight gain unless you eat over your calorie allowance all day with nothing by sweet drinks and sugary things. In other words, you can drink/eat nothing but sugary stuff at a calorie deficit and still lose weight. It's over consumption because that's all you are eating/drinking and not getting proper nutrients.

What you do to gain weight is to eat too much of ANYTHING (caps for emphasis), even all of what some would describe as "healthy" food. Heck, you can gain weight eating nothing but fruits and vegetables if you eat too much.

Let's say my TDEE is 2000 calories. If I eat 1800 calories of sugary drinks and 1800 calories of lentils, would I be likely to lose at the same rate?

Calories in and calories out as far as weight loss goes. 1800 calories is 1800 calories no matter where it comes from. Im not saying all that sugar wouldn't make you feel like crap, because it would me, but as far as weight loss your body is not going to differentiate and make you gain on the sugar and lose on the lentils.

I gained lots if weight eating only healthy food with no processed sugar and lost 42 pounds with some sugar in my diet. It's all about moderation.
  • cupCake_808
    cupCake_808 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What you just said is complete rubbish. 1800 calories of healthy food is not the same as 1800 calories of bad food. Would you like to point me to a someone in peek condition, who spends their life working on their body. That piles down a whole pile of junk food and have their health at an optimum level. I'm sorry it just does not work that way. Plus more importantly what about health! If the op starts consuming 1800 calories of junk food he is hardly going to feel good or have good energy levels.

To the op if you want to cut down on sugar you should eat good fats instead. It helps to curb the cravings. So if you start craving something sweet eat a small piece of cheese or have some butter on toast. Good fats to eat would be olive oil, avocado and almonds. It will help with those sugar cravings in the first few weeks. Rest assured it will get better after two weeks and you will have so much more energy. Not to mention you will sleep better and you will eat less food. This is because your body will regulate its self better and you wont be over eating like sugar makes you do.

Also avoid low fat foods at all cost. Its no secret that those foods a packed full of sugar to give it flavor.

Like other people have said drinking plenty of water is a life saver.

Also going for a walk or some incidental exercise helps to stop cravings as well. As exercise is an appetite suppressant.

Also if you want a treat with sugar have some dark chocolate instead. Chocolate has fat in it so while your getting sugar you wont go over board while eating it because of the fat content will stop you.

One last thing its ok to have an occasional treat but make sure you or someone in your family bakes it from scratch. Just to avoid all the nasty preservatives and additives in food.

Good luck in reducing your sugar in take and you can do this. Your mind is far more powerful than a craving for sugar.

P.S I also learnt from personal experience if you make baked sweet treats but the next day your craving more. That is the big sign that body is becoming re-addicted so its much better to stop at that point then keep going.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk* *head desk*

Dear thread:

Please roll so you aren't on my "last 25 topics" list.

Thanks,
    jofjltncb6

PS: Also, please DIAF.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I also learnt from personal experience if *I* make baked sweet treats but the next day *I'M* craving more. That is the big sign that *MY* body is becoming re-addicted so its much better to stop at that point then keep going.

Fixed for you.
  • GypsygalWI
    GypsygalWI Posts: 27
    Options
    A BIG thing I have found to reduce sugar is to read all the labels on food. For instance, I purchase Greek yogurt that has less than 12 grams of sugar in it per serving. Too much sugar...for me...makes my heart race. It is amazing how much hidden sugar is in our food, and by reading labels, you can make better choices. Regular Yogurt can have as much as 30 grams of sugar in a serving. And for those of us watching calories and avoiding sugar, it does add up fast. It does take some time to go "sugar free" if you will. You will go through withdrawals, headaches, cravings and such. The more sugar that is in your diet, the more you crave. Start slowly and start reducing the amount your eating. I use Stevia in baking and on fruits, if they need just a little more sweetening. Also, others have commented that HFCS ( high fructose corn syrup) is bad, and it is. It's also hidden in foods.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    What you just said is complete rubbish. 1800 calories of healthy food is not the same as 1800 calories of bad food. Would you like to point me to a someone in peek condition, who spends their life working on their body. That piles down a whole pile of junk food and have their health at an optimum level. I'm sorry it just does not work that way. Plus more importantly what about health! If the op starts consuming 1800 calories of junk food he is hardly going to feel good or have good energy levels.

No one is arguing in favor of a diet with an extreme amount of sugar (okay, someone out there probably is but ignore it if you see it). What many of us are arguing in favor of is moderation. If one focuses on a healthy calorie count (which can be gaining or losing) and hits solid macro numbers, i.e. plenty of protein, a variety of fats, and sufficient fiber while eating enough fruits and vegetables to satisfy micronutrient needs, then there is no reason to worry about sugar intake. Absolutist diets such as cutting out ALL sugar are not sustainable, and frankly, I'd argue that they aren't helping anyone's mental health either. It's about balance. That said, I get removing "trigger foods" temporarily to learn self control.