Fat loss and toxicity

Options
Hi All

I have been following a healthy regime for about 12 weeks now. I have been happy with what I have achieved so far as I see a reduction in fat loss, slight increase in muscle mass and overall weight loss. But I seem to be falling ill more often. I fell ill with runny nose and flu like symptoms after the first 4 weeks and again in 8 weeks. This time it has hit me hard. Everytime I fall ill I loose a week in exercise and proper nutrition.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I read that loosing fat causes toxicity to build up in the liver. But on the other hand also read suggestion not to take liver health supplements. I am so confused. I do not want to fall ill and have a break in my workout schedule. My Body Fat % according to Tanita was 47% 12 weeks ago and is 43.6% now. Weight 95 .5 kgs to start and 91.6 now.

My nutrition , supplements. exercise are as follows
Protein 40%, Carb - 30% and Fat 30%
Atlantic Krill oil - 2 500mg capsules a day
BCAA 4:1:1 3 prior and after strength training sessions ( 3 times a week, Ian King begineer program)
Cardio : did alternate days for the first 10 weeks but could not continue as I need to rest the next day after the strength training workout. I have realised I feel more invigorated when I do cardio .Will be restarting next week.
I have just ordered Sea Kelp ( I am hypothyroidic) and CLA 1000mg.
I stopped taking L - Cartinine as I read it is not good for people suffering from thyroid problem. Mine is not too bad, I take 25microgram levothyroxin everyday.

Any advise on how I can incorporate a detox in a regular routine? I prefer not to swallow any more supplements.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Being ill is not from losing weight it is from possibly your choices while losing weight.

I've been doing this for almost 15months and not once have I gotten sick.

Losing weight does not cause toxins to build up and you do not need to detox.

Perhaps your illness is more related to your food choices etc how many calories are you eating?

As for the bf% etc yah those scales are usually wrong by at least 5%. and can be thrown off by hydration levels.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Gyms can be filthy places. Wash and sanitize your hands often -- that's why you're getting sick. It has nothing to do with "liver toxins."
  • suryamurthy0576
    suryamurthy0576 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am quite confident about the fat loss because of my clothes fit and I can for the first time feel my muscles atleast a little bit rather than thick layer of fat.

I have been eating 1600 calories with 40% protein, 30% carb and 30% fat , have not consumed any processed foods as such. I have been on protein shakes, chicken and salads, egg whites brown rice, healthy nuts and limited quantity of fruit. Am drinking about 2.5 to 3 litres of water. Just made me wonder how I could fall sick when I have been really good!

I travel on the London underground... may be I have picked up bugs in the tube. It is really frustrating as it puts a break in the schedule But Good to know that it is not the liver.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    gyms are nasty and so is any other public place such as the underground - use hand sanitizer often (I take a small bottle everywhere I go). as others have said, the weight lose will not cause this type of a problem...
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Losing fat does not cause a build-up of toxicity in your liver... thats just not how the human body works. If, however, you are concerned about 'detoxifying' your liver, simply eat minimally processed foods and drink plenty of water for a while.
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Losing fat does not cause a build-up of toxicity in your liver... thats just not how the human body works. If, however, you are concerned about 'detoxifying' your liver, simply eat minimally processed foods and drink plenty of water for a while.

Every once in a while I like to surprise my liver with a glass of water.