Dressing/Cheese

Options
KayJaMikel
KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
I love Ranch dressing in my salad. I don't like any of the vinaigrette and can stomach the Italian. I have tasked the low calorie Ranch and it is too sweet for me.

I also love some cheese in my salads, but apparently cheddar is way too many calories.

Can anybody make suggestions on a good low-fat dressing and cheeses?

I searched dressing and all I get in my search is wedding dress and bridesmaid dress posts.

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I searched dressing and all I get in my search is wedding dress and bridesmaid dress posts.

Too funny!

I have full-fat dressing, but measure it out first, put it into a big bowl and then plonk the salady stuff on top and mix it carefully with my hands. Kinda messy, but coats the salad leaves effectively without needing as much as you might think.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I say keep your dressing! Instead of pouring it on the salad, dip your fork in it and then stab at the salad. You'll not overdo it and you'll still enjoy the dressing!

Plus, a fat+fiber source at the same time (such as salad with dressing) is quite good for lowering blood cholesterol.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I actually recommend that you stick with the full fat versions that you like, if you can.

Depending on what you put in your salads, they're probably pretty chock-full of vitamins. In particular, vitamins A, D, E and K are fat soluble, so your body cannot use them unless you are consuming them with a fat source as well. A lot of those lower fat versions also have added thickeners, sugar and somewhat controversial ingredients.

You would probably be better off just sticking with the appropriate serving size of the good stuff. :)
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I love Ranch dressing in my salad. I don't like any of the vinaigrette and can stomach the Italian. I have tasked the low calorie Ranch and it is too sweet for me.

I also love some cheese in my salads, but apparently cheddar is way too many calories.

Can anybody make suggestions on a good low-fat dressing and cheeses?

I honestly cannot recommend a single commercially available low-fat ranch dressing or a single low-fat cheese. I like rich, full flavored ranch (don't like Kraft or Wishbone regular ranch, either). I have made a homemade ranch that's pretty good - thick and creamy and can be made with reduced fat items. Go to Allrecipes.com and search for ranch dressing and sort the results by rating. It's one of the top recipes.

Other than that, why not just use a bit less? I've found that if I make my salad in a large bowl with a lid and then can shake up all of the ingredients to really get the lettuce coated, then it takes less to make the salad taste good. Also, if your ranch dressing is really thick, you could add just a bit of milk to help stretch it - measure 1 1/2 T instead of 2 and then add the milk to make up for the volume. As for cheese, instead of using a full ounce of your favorite cheddar, why not just use 3/4 or 1/2 ounce? If you usually use a medium, use sharp or extra sharp for more flavor with less volume. You'll still get the flavor and you'll get less calories.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    I say keep your dressing! Instead of pouring it on the salad, dip your fork in it and then stab at the salad. You'll not overdo it and you'll still enjoy the dressing!

Plus, a fat+fiber source at the same time (such as salad with dressing) is quite good for lowering blood cholesterol.

Awesome idea, you know I never thought of this. What is wrong with me? I usually pour it up top.
  • anglbaby8590
    anglbaby8590 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love ranch dressing, too, and went a whole year without it but was starting to get sick to my stomach eating vinaigrettes on my salads every day. A friend told me about Bolthouse Farms' yogurt ranch dressing and I fell in love! I like it even better than regular, full-fat ranch. 2 tablespoons is 45 calories. They make other yogurt dressings too that I like - blue cheese, salsa ranch, thousand island, etc.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    So are certain cheeses better for you. I love swiss and thought of chunks in my salad.
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of 0% fat Greek yogurt
    1/4 cup water or milk
    1/2 packet of powdered ranch mix

That's what I use in my own squirt bottle.

Also do 50/50 no-fat Greek yogurt and Franks hot sauce for an awesome Buffalo sauce.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    I love ranch dressing, too, and went a whole year without it but was starting to get sick to my stomach eating vinaigrettes on my salads every day. A friend told me about Bolthouse Farms' yogurt ranch dressing and I fell in love! I like it even better than regular, full-fat ranch. 2 tablespoons is 45 calories. They make other yogurt dressings too that I like - blue cheese, salsa ranch, thousand island, etc.

I am picky i guess, but really really despise yogurt. Does this taste like yogurt?
  • weird_me2
    Options
    I don't think that any cheese is really better for you than any other cheese, so I say use what you like. If you have a favorite that's super flavorful, that might be your best choice for salads because with those less is usually more! I like to use aged parmesan and extra sharp cheddar because both have more flavor for the calories.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    I don't think that any cheese is really better for you than any other cheese, so I say use what you like. If you have a favorite that's super flavorful, that might be your best choice for salads because with those less is usually more! I like to use aged parmesan and extra sharp cheddar because both have more flavor for the calories.

Well was going by other day ate a salad and cut up 3 slices of american cheese into my salad and it added uber calories to the meal, so thought maybe another cheese was less.

I think you all so much because this is all still so new to me. I am used to just eating whatever, not ever thinking of calories.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Your title made me think of dressing with cheese

th?id=HN.608001162629153919&pid=15.1

The only thing I do is add some lowfat milk to any milk type dressing to cut it back. I don't know if it helps, but it does thin it out a bit.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    Your title made me think of dressing with cheese

th?id=HN.608001162629153919&pid=15.1

The only thing I do is add some lowfat milk to any milk type dressing to cut it back. I don't know if it helps, but it does thin it out a bit.

Was thinking of water actually. This way I get twice as much for same calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I am picky i guess, but really really despise yogurt. Does this taste like yogurt?

I was going to suggest Hidden Valley dry Ranch seasoning mixed with plain Greek yogurt & milk. You could also mix it with low - fat buttermilk .....which is thicker than milk. Greek yogurt has the benefit of being high protein.

This is a lifestyle change. I measure light salad dressing (fat frees have a nasty aftertaste to me)....2 TBL = 1 coffee scoop. Can you learn to A. Use less dressing (forever)....or B. Eat lighter dressing (forever)?
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've been using a full-fat honey dijon dressing I picked up @ Sprout's. 100 cal for 2 tbsp (30g). I've also switched from medium cheddar to crumbled feta cheese. 1 ounce = 50 calories, versus tillamook medium cheddar 1 ounce = 110 calories.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    I see all the commercials on TV for greek yogurt, especially the ones with John Stamos (yummy) and wonder what it takes like, and it certainly looks delicious. I might have to try it.

I never tried feta cheese (I'm telling you all, I have very boring palate, but I blame my mother, LOL, she cooked this way and it is what I learned), but recently tasted is it blue cheese, and liked it. I might try feta.
  • weird_me2
    Options
    I see all the commercials on TV for greek yogurt, especially the ones with John Stamos (yummy) and wonder what it takes like, and it certainly looks delicious. I might have to try it.

I never tried feta cheese (I'm telling you all, I have very boring palate, but I blame my mother, LOL, she cooked this way and it is what I learned), but recently tasted is it blue cheese, and liked it. I might try feta.

I don't like feta at all and check the calorie count on the one you buy if you decide to try it - if it's that low in calories, it's got to be a fat free version. Some people I know like it, but the words fat free and cheese just don't belong together in my world.
  • MrsJennaKwasniewski
    MrsJennaKwasniewski Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms Yogurt dressings are really good and only 40-45 calories per 2 tablespoons which is like a 3rd of Ranch calories. They have a creamy ceaser with parmesan cheese in it and it is WAY good! That could potentially satisfy your creamy dressing and your cheese all in one.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My Mom uses a little bit of ranch dressing and a little bit of white balsamic vinegar. I've tried it and it's really good. You get all of the ranch taste without all of the calories.
  • MrsJennaKwasniewski
    MrsJennaKwasniewski Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I didn't see that someone else already suggested to you the Bolthouse Farms Yogurt dressing but I know I can tell you that it doesn't taste like yogurt to me. You should just try it...if you don't like it then you don't like it but don't just not try it because you don't like yogurt