How many calories do you typically burn a day?

Options
I am 5'3 and eat 1200 calories. I burn at least 500 from breastfeeding. i am unsure how much is too much or too little exercise. Today already I have burned 700 at least, and was going to get on the Wii later. Is this okay? Can someone give me an idea of what's alright and what's not alright?

Replies

• SukiKeomi
    Options
    Well generally you need to burn more calories then you eat to lose weight, or burn the same amount of calories as you eat in a day to maintain weight.. I usually burn a lot more then I eat in a day as i have a target weight to get to by a deadline and i wanna be at it. But what you're doing seem's okay so go ahead and Play that Wii :) just don't take it too serious and burn like double what you've taken in, or atleast try not to anyways.
  • melendy
    melendy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wear my hear monitor sometimes through out the course of the day and just on a regular day working (I'm a home health nurse) I burn around 1200 calories just without effort. I never knew you could burn so many just by breathing, lol.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Since ur breastfeeding I believe u should be eating more then 1,200(espicially since u burn 500 from doing it)..
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    Options
    I burn on average about 2,200 a day. I'm 148lb and 5'7.
  • Jbonar
    Jbonar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It takes approximately 1400 calories just for the average woman to "exist". You should NOT burn more than you eat. You should create a deficit by a combo of decreasing calories and expending calories (exercising). Your net calories for the the day should not be lower than 1200-1400, a little more for you since you are BF'ing.

I burn about 400-500 calories per workout.

(ADD) I may have misunderstood a previous post. I thought you were asking how many calories to aim for when exercising...
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I burn between 1000-1500 per day
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    if your trying to lose weight dont be so into burning "a lot" of calories, just eat right and workout, doing that has helped me lose a great amount of weight every month. Diet is key in losing weight and exercise gives you a fit body.
  • Jordu
    Jordu Posts: 13
    Options
    This website has a BMR calculator to estimate how much energy your body uses performing basic life-support functions. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

If your calorie intake is lower than that number + 500, then you're going to lose weight no matter how much activity you do. So go ahead and play until it isn't fun anymore, secure in the knowledge that you don't have to continue past that point.
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great replies. I feel very confident now.