Light-ish Snack Foods for Game Night?

Options
My husband and I have a couple of friends coming over to our house tomorrow night to have a few drinks and play some games. I've got about 2000 calories to eat that day and I've already planned to have 2-3 drinks (Malibu and Diet Vanilla Coke), but now I'm wondering what kind of snacks to get.

I don't want anything that will take me forever to prepare, and nothing that's going to cost me a fortune. Before I started counting calories, I'd just get some Doritos, other chips with dip, some M&Ms...you get my drift. I'll probably still get a bag of chips for them, but I'd like some options that won't break the calorie bank, so to speak. I don't want to be sitting there munching on strawberries or baby carrots, but I also don't want to have to think, "okay, I can have 5 chips without going over." Screw that noise. Say celery sticks with peanut butter and I might have to block you. :)

What are your favorite healthy-ish snacks to pick up for a get-together like this?

Replies

• tikkathyme
    tikkathyme Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Popchips, hummus, greek yogurt-based dips come to mind. I just make sure to put my food on a plate so I don't over eat.

Don't block me but... I brought a giant bowl of watermelon to a game night a couple of weeks ago and everyone went for that over the other options, so your friends might like that too :)
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Air pop popcorn. Get a few seasonings to add to it and everyone can also have their own variety. I eat this stuff all the time.

Salsa is also fairly low calorie so if you eat it with baked chips (or even regular chips) you can get a lot of bang for your buck in my opinion. I'd eat it with red pepper, but I legitimately like the way that tastes and i'm not a huge chip fan - most people think this is "too healthy" for a game night

Ooooh and edamame. People like that more than you think usually!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Chips and salsa, a lighter 7 layer dip, pretzels, Special K cracker chips, popcorn, a lighter spinach dip, Hormel acutally makes a decent low cal cheese dip...
  • ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    These are awesome ideas as we have a game night every tuesday with roughly nine people in attendance. Woohoo!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I think fruit is actually a great idea. Watermelon and cantaloupe balls, strawberries, raspberries, yum! Veggies with hummus and maybe a light ranch dip? Do you have an air popcorn popper? Having a big bowl of popcorn on hand is nice too, lots of crunch for not too many calories if you go light on the butter/oil.