Running/Gym Shoes and Calf Issues

Options
I need some serious advice regarding running/gym shoes. When I started working out and running I had a fantastic pair of old gym shoes but they finally wore out so I went to a local running store. I did okay in the shoes they gave me for awhile and then I stated to have lower back and sciatica problems, which I noticed only occurred when I was walking/working out in my running shoes. So, I went back and had another person recommend a different pair to me, now, my lower back is fine but every time I wear the new shoes my calf, especially my left calf, tightens up and burns and hurts. This only happens with my gym shoes. I live in a town where I walk a lot and I can walk around for miles in my sandals or flats without having any issues but as soon as put on my gym shoes, about 5 minutes later I'm stopping to stretch my legs AGAIN. Does anybody more experienced have any advice or recommendations?

Replies

• rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes, find a different running store!

I know that sounds facetious, but it's really not.

Running stores that do not fully train their people have, with the best intentions, put me into shoes that cause my main problems (I have an insanely high and rigid arch, and more easily supinate than pronate - two stores tried to tell me that I needed medial post support, which would have had me running on the side of my foot) to get much worse.

Then they fix their original mistake by putting me in a shoe that helps with the problem they caused with the initial error, but gives me a whole new problem.

Now, these people are experienced runners themselves, but they know THEIR feet and needs, and not general patterns. I've had good luck for the past 3 years with a chain called Road Runners (they have stores in at least 11 states, one may be near you) where they will check your foot pressure pattern, have you videotaped running slowly on a treadmill to see what your strike pattern is and ankle stability, and then bring out a variety of shoes that fit YOUR foot type for you to try. They also will make you a custom insole if you like. So far, they have never sold me a pair that's been a problem and what they've sold me has resolved some problems I had. Additionally, they have a 90 day return policy - even if you've been wearing them out in the mud, so it's a no-brainer.

They do online sales as well, but since you've been fitted by running people before and had problems, I would not go that route initially.

Another option might be to talk to a physical therapist about your foot and stride... that's how I initially found out that my feet required something special that running stores just weren't understanding (until I got a Road Runners nearby).

Best of luck either way - it's a bummer to try to do the right thing, and be unable to!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i love road runner sports. they even have a 90 day warranty on their shoes. if you don't like them you can exchange them for a different pair. I'm headed there after work to pick up some stuff.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Road Runner. They really are that good. They'll put you right on the treadmill in store and work with you on the spot if there is one in your area :drinker:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/retail