Tips to Get Children to Eat Healthy

Options

Replies

• Tina1737
    Tina1737 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Only buy healthy stuff? Give them healthy options as opposed to chips or fries. I have my girls pick either a piece of fruit or yogurt for snack most days. Should have been like this from the beginning, but now I'm cleaning up my own mess of giving them junk. They are 5 and will be 4 in 2 weeks. I also don't buy soda or juice and I'm working on getting them into drinking almond milk over cow's milk.

Basically, you have to put your foot down wnd say this is what is for breakfast, lunch, dinner. Eat or don't. Trust me, when they know you're serious, they will eat.

Bravo.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    what about toddlers and kids you literally can't reason with, it isn't always something that you can just simply put your foot down with. My toddler barely eats and if he does it's always crackers.
  • JEDDIE89
    JEDDIE89 Posts: 17
    Options
    I know this is going to be cringe-worthy, but his favorite food is chicken nuggets (frozen, processed pieces of mashed up "chicken" or McNuggets)
    The main problem with the highly-processed chicken nuggets is they tend to be high-sodium. Whether or not the chicken is organic doesn't change that. I had to do quite a bit of searching before happening upon a couple brands with less than 2mg of sodium per calorie--Bell & Evans and Wellshire KIds.

The good brands are pricy. Another option, for those with more time than money, is making your own!

It's worth keeping an eye on the ketchup, which also tends to be high in sodium. I have a couple times made fresh ketchup, with the help of my children, low in salt and sweetened to their taste.

I don't get why companies have to process the s**t out of food and add all these extra ingredients, like salt. Sure, it tastes better, but in the end, you're only making things worse. I'm sure food companies don't exactly care about the well-being of their consumers, because money makes the world go round, but, seriously, these are children.
    In my case, I have tried to make my own chicken nuggets, but my son will only eat the frozen or fast food "chicken". He has tried real chicken and he says it tastes too much like chicken - go figure. He doesn't like any condiments (neither do I), so I don't have to worry about ketchup, but that is a helpful tip for others.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Honestly. Let them go hungry. Absent some sort of eating disorder, children won't starve themselves.

When I was little, mom made 1 dinner. I didn't like it? I didn't eat then. My sisters and I quickly learned to give everything a shot food wise!
  • JEDDIE89
    JEDDIE89 Posts: 17
    Options
    what about toddlers and kids you literally can't reason with, it isn't always something that you can just simply put your foot down with. My toddler barely eats and if he does it's always crackers.

This is my child. There is no reasoning with him. If he doesn't want to do something, he isn't going to do it, no matter what the consequences are.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Put healthy food in front of them at mealtimes. They eat it, or they don't. Boom, problem solved. When they get hungry enough, they'll eat what you cook them.

This is how it worked for us as children, this how it will work (and is working) for my child. Don't be a pushover, stand firm and eventually they'll go with it, or go hungry. No kid ever died or developed trust issues from voluntarily skipping a few meals.

edited for a typo, and also to add:

it really helps to introduce a really WIDE variety of food very early on in your kids' early toddlerhood, so they don't grow up picky. That way you won't have to unlearn any undesirable eating habits later on.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Put healthy food in front of them at mealtimes. They eat it, or they don't. Boom, problem solved. When they get hungry enough, they'll eat what you cook them.

This is how it worked for us as children, this how it will work (and is working) for my child. Don't be a pushover, stand firm and eventually they'll go with it, or go hungry. No kid ever died or developed trust issues from voluntarily skipping a few meals.

edited for a typo, and also to add:

it really helps to introduce a really WIDE variety of food very early on in your kids' early toddlerhood, so they don't grow up picky. That way you won't have to unlearn any undesirable eating habits later on.

This ^^^^, you are the parent, do not pander to them or try and reason with a toddler, eat it, leave it and go hungry, their choice., eventually they will eat what you provide
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I hide veggies in other stuff, especially the ones they don't like (mushrooms are easily hidden in spaghetti sauce) My kids for the most part will try anything now

They are super good about tasting if they help make it - let them pick recipes out of cookbooks - experiment. You might find something new you like too.

Food coloring is great - I love the Orange potato thing - then its easy to hide other things in it.

Don't make sugary snacks as easy - but remember that kids will get them elsewhere. My cousins weren't allowed chocolate as kids (oh the humanity!) and ate Carob all the time. They got access to some cookies at a family function and ate the whole bag because they never had anything like it before.

If you give them the healthy stuff at most meals (yes we still eat fast food sometimes) and make them try everything (one bite won't kill ya!) eventually they get used to it and turn out fine.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options

This is my child. There is no reasoning with him. If he doesn't want to do something, he isn't going to do it, no matter what the consequences are.

At this age it's all about exposure. Do what you can to have him taste new things every day. Make a reward chart for something he might want to earn. Serve him whatever you're eating at meals. Make him at least taste everything on his plate before offering an alternative (middle ground between letting him have what he wants and letting him decide to simply not eat). The more he tries new things the faster his taste buds will be acclimated to healthier options.

Again, leave healthy snacks around the house that he can reach and serve himself. Put out fruit/veggie/nut bowls. Or get one of those cubbies and make him his own snack drawer.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

+1

This is the method I used with my children and currently using with my grandson. The earlier the better.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    try new recipes, add more fruit/veg thats hidden so they arent aware they are eating it
    look for healthy recipes for junkfood alternatives
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Both of my daughter's love healthy food and prefer things like avacado, red peppers, shrimp ect to junkier foods. I think why is because we love those foods and have always had them around. We also do not give foods value...ie: eat this to get this. Candy and junk are in the house but we treat them like any other snack, I remind my kids of portions but that is for all foods. I feel because no food is considered special or naughty they seem to base their choices on taste and what they want.

String cheese, yogurt, fruit are great things to have around and most kids enjoy them. We also never force anything, you must try but if you really dislike something then there is no need to eat it. I do remind them that tastes buds change roughly every 6 months, so just because they didn't like something before does not mean they won't like it now.

The oddest is my youngest, doesn't like cheese on things, not a chocolate fan (vanilla ice cream and pudding) prefers veggies and fruit smoothies to all else. No clue where she came from everyone else loves cheese and chocolate (I am not a candy person but love chocolate cake and ice cream)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Your one line, "He won't try new foods because he knows I will make him the nuggets." Just stop buying the nuggets and fish sticks for awhile so you don't have the temptation to give in. It will help you with future power struggles to stop now. You can always buy just enough nuggets for a few meals a week and let him know that "We ate them all, now we will eat other food until the next time I go to the grocery store." (Don't make a big deal out of it, though. Just be matter of fact and casual.)

Think of it this way: it's hard for adults to eat a variety of healthy foods because the temptation is just to eat what we really want. There are certain foods I could live off of for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy. A toddler isn't going to be more disciplined than an adult, so you have to take care of that piece.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the unhealthy food or have it in the house.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I always gave my kids cut up vegetables with dip and parked them in front of the TV while I was making dinner. They'd be pretty hungry by that time, and dipping is fun.

Have you tried growing any vegetables with your kids? My 5-year-old helped plant the seeds and now she can't wait to pick her cucumbers, tomatoes and salad.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your one line, "He won't try new foods because he knows I will make him the nuggets." Just stop buying the nuggets and fish sticks for awhile so you don't have the temptation to give in. It will help you with future power struggles to stop now. You can always buy just enough nuggets for a few meals a week and let him know that "We ate them all, now we will eat other food until the next time I go to the grocery store." (Don't make a big deal out of it, though. Just be matter of fact and casual.)

This is some wonderful advice and I hope you take it to heart. Whenever my kids start demanding anything I simply stop buying it. So far I've done this with two foods.

You have a rough road ahead of you. Food issues are difficult at best, even for adults. But hang in there. Your son's health is worth it.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ugh, picky kids! Mine are both very picky. (For example, I think they may be the only two humans on the planet who don't like bacon, lol!) Here's what I've done for snacks and it seems to be working.

I put bins on the bottom shelf of the pantry, and I put pre-portioned snacks into each of them. One is for protein (nuts, pb, a little sign saying "cheese or yogurt is in the fridge", etc.). One is for fruit (dried fruit, apples, bananas, etc.). One is for grains (whole grain crackers, goldfish, etc.). And the last is for sweets (junk mostly, like m&ms, cookies, etc.). Since everything is pre-portioned, I know they aren't eating half a bag of cookies or even too many nuts.

So then every day, they get to make their own "snack bag" where they choose one item from every bin and put it in a lunch bag. That's their snack for the entire day. They can eat it between meals if they want, or all at once in the afternoon, or at night. They like being able to choose and control what they eat, and I like that I know most of the choices are fairly healthy. They aren't deprived of the junk, but they have it in moderate portions. Isn't that the best way for us as "dieters" to eat, as well? Not depriving ourselves of guilty pleasures, just not overdoing it.

Anyway, so far it's working. It's not too much work for me, I mostly use Ziplock snack bags and portion things out as soon as I get home from the grocery store.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses, so forgive me it this has already been mentioned. I involve my kids in the meal prep. They get to make suggestions on what to eat and then we shop together. I have some healthy kid friendly cookbooks so they look through those and get some ideas.

They may not ultimately eat what they planned, but the rule is that they have to try it.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    My son is 12 now, but he always loved to eat like a grown man while growing up and now. He loves all the normal foods that kids eat, but he loves a home cooked meal more. What I would do is instead of buying the processed or frozen options, I made them myself. So if he wanted chicken nuggets or chicken sandwich and fries, I would just cut up a chicken breast and make nuggets or a chicken sandwich with it. Then I would cut up a potato and make baked fries. He loved them. As long as he is having nuggets and fries he was happy. If he wanted a burger, sure I'll make one myself. I add some carrots to meat sauce to add extra veggies. Add sauces or cheese to veggies. Kids love smoothies, so sneak in some veggies (maybe carrots instead of green veggies lol).

If my son didn't want to eat something I say to him "then you must not be hungry. I am not making you anything else and you will starve." They end up eating it and loving it.
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    EXPERIMENT: My son hates meat, but he will eat very certain kinds of protein. I just experimented.

MAKE THE FOOD LOOK COOL AND INTRODUCE NEW KINDS OF FOODS: My daughter doesn't like a lot of things either so I presented different fruits and veggies and MEALS to her every week. If she ate spaghetti I would add spaghetti to my menu for the month. She likes tomatoes and carrots. I had no idea until I bought some for no reason and just showed her. She has them for snacks now. Curiosity gets the best of most kids. Another good way is to make those items they don't like in a different way. Spinach is generally frowned on, but if I make a "cool" meal out of it they won't even notice. Like my "Monster" sandwiches.

CO-COOKING: Another huge way I got my kids to open up their taste buds was to have them cook with me. Even if it's just premixing the spices. I found they were more apt to eating the food when they were responsible for it, and I enjoyed teaching them about the different things we made as well. It's a great way to get them interested in what they put in their bodies while spending some quality time together. It's also a good way to teach them kitchen safety early. I highly recommend trying co-cooking.

However do not let them control the kitchen. You're still mom. They don't want to eat dinner. They go without dinner. Which is rare cause we believe in dessert after dinner in this house.