Think Ground Turkey Is Better For You Then Ground Beef?

Options
2»

Replies

• LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Regular bacon is also better than turkey bacon!! lol we're all conned damn food industries!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    My cat won't eat ground turkey which should have been a clue but I fell for the lean meat, healthy whole grain spiel so for about 6 months I made my family eat it and told them you couldn't even tell the difference. :laugh: Never again.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Lean turkey is usually less expensive than lean beef though, and has a different taste, so there are reasons to buy it besides the health differences.

I agree though that grd. turkey is NOT necessarily "healthier" than ground beef.

Yes, I can usually get lean ground tureky cheaper than lean ground beef. 93/7 turkey goes on sale fairly regularly, but it's hard to find a good deal on even 90/10 ground beef.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    My cat won't eat ground turkey which should have been a clue but I fell for the lean meat, healthy whole grain spiel so for about 6 months I made my family eat it and told them you couldn't even tell the difference. :laugh: Never again.

Meh... I had a cat who wouldn't eat mussels or lobster.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wait! I had killed this thread 3 years ago!!! :mad:
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/wal-mart/lean-ground-beef-93-7
    93% lean/7% fat ground beef, 4 ounce serving, 170 calories, 8 grams fat, 3 grams saturated, 23 grams protein

http://www.jennieo.com/products/GroundTurkey/937LeanGroundTurkey.aspx
    93% lean/7% fat ground turkey, 4 ounce serving, 170 calories, 8 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated, 21 grams protein

I'm not a big proponent of ground turkey (although there are a few recipes with it I like), but I'm not seeing how it can possible have the same fat, less protein, 0 carbs and the same number of calories (is the ground turkey 20 proof?). I suspect your labels are incorrect - I don't see how it can have equal/less of all the macronutrients and still have the same calories, as calories have to come from somewhere.

Edit: Wow that necro.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/wal-mart/lean-ground-beef-93-7
    93% lean/7% fat ground beef, 4 ounce serving, 170 calories, 8 grams fat, 3 grams saturated, 23 grams protein

http://www.jennieo.com/products/GroundTurkey/937LeanGroundTurkey.aspx
    93% lean/7% fat ground turkey, 4 ounce serving, 170 calories, 8 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated, 21 grams protein

I'm not a big proponent of ground turkey (although there are a few recipes with it I like), but I'm not seeing how it can possible have the same fat, less protein, 0 carbs and the same number of calories (is the ground turkey 20 proof?). I suspect your labels are incorrect - I don't see how it can have equal/less of all the macronutrients and still have the same calories, as calories have to come from somewhere.

Edit: Wow that necro.

This was my thought as well. The math doesn't work, unless JennieO is adding some type of carb to their turkey.

ETA: from USDA nutrition search

Ground beef 85/15 - 100g - Calories: 215, protein 18.59, fat 15g, sat fat 5.9, carbs 0
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/7417

Ground turkey 85/15 - 100 g - Calories 180, protein 16.9, fat 12.54, sat fat 3.4, carbs 0
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/1093
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Extra Lean Ground Turkey from Jennie o has 120calories in it per serving
    protein isnt listed on the website...

but doesn't the stomach take longer to "digest'" red meat over white meats?
  • JEDDIE89
    JEDDIE89 Posts: 17
    Options
    I guess I've never really compared the labels, but regular bacon just seems to have so much more fat than turkey bacon. I can't eat regular bacon - just thinking about all the fat on it makes me sick. I'm sure any kind of bacon isn't good for you anyways, though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I guess I've never really compared the labels, but regular bacon just seems to have so much more fat than turkey bacon. I can't eat regular bacon - just thinking about all the fat on it makes me sick. I'm sure any kind of bacon isn't good for you anyways, though.

Regular bacon is slices of pork belly, which is a fatty cut of meat. Turkey bacon is a product made from pulverized turkey and dyed to look like strips of pork belly. Less fat is generally used to make the turkey product.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Bacon (meaning pork bacon) varies widely in how much fat it has. I know there are some brands that are 60 calories or less for 2 slices, which must not have all that much fat. On the other hand, the kind I get from a local farm has lots of fat, although it's probably "healthier" according to some other measurements, despite having lots more calories than not only the 30 cal/slice kind, but probably the average more processed bacon (all meat you buy is processed, obviously). So it depends on priorities. I don't have it often, but I like it, so on occasion I fit it into my calories.

I don't much care how ground beef compares to ground turkey, since they don't taste at all the same. The question is if there's any reason not to eat ground turkey or ground beef on their own merits. IMO, not for any nutritional reason--both are fine (I generally eat the lean ground beef since I like it just as well for my purposes--a meat sauce, meatball, or burger). I also like ground bison, ground lamb, ground pork, and even ground ostrich on occasion. I don't really like ground chicken or turkey. If I want lean turkey or chicken breast I'd much rather have them unground, IMO they are far superior that way. Not sure why that is.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    you get your beef from walmart and you have the audacity to care if beef is "healthier" than ground turkey?

You sir (or ma'am, I was too lazy to check) win the internets for today...

95.gif
  • JEDDIE89
    Options

Regular bacon is slices of pork belly, which is a fatty cut of meat. Turkey bacon is a product made from pulverized turkey and dyed to look like strips of pork belly. Less fat is generally used to make the turkey product.

I'm assuming then that they use every part of the turkey, essentially making it the same as a turkey dog (eeek!). The dye is probably terrible for you too. I have found some Nitrate/Nitrite free pork bacon and as long as I cut the fat off, I have managed to eat it. I have not found any turkey bacon that states it is Nitrate/Nitrite free. Do you think it's really worth it to stick to eating turkey bacon (my son loves bacon), considering the main reason I eat it is because I thought it had less fat?
  • parkscs
    Options
    Why are you so concerned over the fat in it? There's no need to eat a "low fat" diet. If it's the appearance that bothers you, just cook it a bit crisper. I'm not sure the dye would be terrible for you... what exactly is it about the dye you're concerned about?
  • JEDDIE89
    Options
    Why are you so concerned over the fat in it? There's no need to eat a "low fat" diet. If it's the appearance that bothers you, just cook it a bit crisper. I'm not sure the dye would be terrible for you... what exactly is it about the dye you're concerned about?

I totally don't mean this in a disrespectful or b*tchy way at all, but do you enjoy eating straight fat? If there is visible fat on something, I will cut it out/off. Personally, I don't see the point in eating any unnecessary fat. Is this something I shouldn't be concerned about? As for the dye, I suppose I'm going more off of what I hear through the grapevine about how bad dyes are for you. But why even add dye to it in the first place - just to make it look more like pork bacon? Seems kind of silly to me. Just my thoughts, though.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The REAL issue is this; ground beef tastes good. Ground turkey ( or turkey sausage, turkey bacon -- shudder!-- or turkey jerky) does not. Honey roasted or smoked turkey breast, fine, but turkey used where beef would be a thousand times better is a cheap and far inferior-tasting substitute.
  • parkscs
    Options

I totally don't mean this in a disrespectful or b*tchy way at all, but do you enjoy eating straight fat? If there is visible fat on something, I will cut it out/off. Personally, I don't see the point in eating any unnecessary fat. Is this something I shouldn't be concerned about? As for the dye, I suppose I'm going more off of what I hear through the grapevine about how bad dyes are for you. But why even add dye to it in the first place - just to make it look more like pork bacon? Seems kind of silly to me. Just my thoughts, though.

In bacon? Yes, I do enjoy it, as do many people. Now I don't sit down and eat a bowl of bacon fat, but the notion that you should avoid bacon just because you can see fat on it is silly to me. It seems like your problem with it is that it's visible, but that you don't visibly see fat in a lot of foods doesn't make those foods any better for you.

In terms of eating "unnecessary" fat, what makes it unnecessary relative to the meat in the bacon? An optimal diet for some people is going to include some fat and if you choose to get that fat from bacon, I'm failing to see the problem. Of course you can overeat on fat, but that's true of any macro. Should you eat purely fat and neglect your other macros? I suppose you could pick off all the fat on your bacon and fill those calories with another fat source (or another nutrient), but what is it you think you're gaining from that? I'd rather just enjoy the bacon, provided it fits my daily allowance (Oh God, listen to me... I sound like an IIFYM'er :laugh: :wink: )

And as to why they add dye, it's to make their product more marketable. People buying "turkey bacon" want it to look like real bacon and so if the final product doesn't look like bacon, they dye it accordingly. Even then, I don't believe that all turkey bacon is dyed. For instance, but the typical brand I get at WF doesn't list any dyes on the ingredients.

But at the end of the day, you're better off spending your time and effort optimizing big picture issues, and things like "visible" fat and dyed food are minor issues at best. Eat what you enjoy and don't stress over the little things.