Methodology in diet

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
So I really wanted to take a lot of time to construct a well thought out post about the pros and cons to various dieting methods but this isn't very well-thought-out as I'm in a hurry at the moment...

Over the past few years, my stance on things has changed significantly and I don't think my current viewpoint will bring much applause given the population I'm delivering this to (people who count calories).

Generally speaking, I think counting intake is a great method for a lot of people. I also think most people should do it at least short term with a food scale to get them acclimated to estimation and what constitutes a reasonable energy intake.

I also think people who desire a great deal of leanness, such as a physique athlete, may need to count meticulously for accuracy purposes.

But, I think there's a cost associated with it. Usually it's time investment that people bring up but I think there are other issues or concerns that can arise such as becoming too fixated on the numbers, perhaps seeing that slice of pizza as 420c, 50c/18f/20p instead of seeing it as a slice of pizza.

To be clear, I don't think this happens to everyone, and for those who don't have issues with tracking, it's probably going to be an excellent method if not the best method given that nothing negative arises from it, or the negatives are things that can be dealt with.

Ultimately, since I fundamentally believe in context being important, I'm claiming that there are people who just aren't going to thrive on a calorie counting model. And that's not a statement about the flaws of calorie counting (energy balance is fundamentally important), it's just a matter of there not being a universally successful method of dieting that is going to match up to each individual.

Just like low carb dieting is going to be a reasonable choice for some people and just awful for others.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I've made a few posts on my wall, on our facebook fitness page, and in discussions with people in the industry just because this is a topic where my views have changed. What prompted me to post this was a reply that I am going to quote below. I'm quoting it here because it apparently brought a lot of disagreement and I'd like to hear why, but I'll do that in my thread instead of the one it was in because people thought it was derailing the topic.

I have more to say about this but I have to leave soon. If you'd like to add your thoughts to my post above, or to this quote below, please feel free to do so. Thanks.

EDIT: Hopefully I'm clear in that my over-arching point here is that context STILL MATTERS with dieting methodology. While I am a fan of calorie and macronutrient tracking, I am claiming in this thread that it is not the ultimate method because claiming it as such neglects individual contexts.

Eh, I don't know. Calorie Counting has some pretty obvious advantages. Assuming a lack of complicating factors (e.g. metabolic disorders) along with consistent and relatively accurate logging, counting calories has a very strong rational appeal. Problem >> Data >> Math >> Solution. Fairly simple. Note that the complication factors don't negate an approach centered around looking at the energy balance of a system; it just makes it less simple.

What's simple isn't always what's easy, though. For instance, I could:

-get burned out on counting calories because I have enough other stuff going in my day-to-day.
-become obsessive about tiny inaccuracies.
-End up feeling weird about a natural process (Hunger >> eat) being dictated by a more analytical approach.

All of that is about how someone "feels" which can end up being incompatible with calorie counting. That kind of stress doesn't always have an on/off switch. There is some appeal to following a set of guidelines that isn't based on calories. Obviously it works the same way. To lose weight, you're burning more than you take in. But if I am burned out on counting calories, and I'm left with following hunger signals and satiety as a means of helping me lose weight, then "food quality" becomes more important for reasons apart from overall health, getting my micros, and getting enough fiber.

In no way am I a clean eater just for my own personal ideology. I love my processed foods. But, in my experience, the more highly processed foods that I enjoy also tend to be more energy-dense and less satiating per calorie. For those reasons, if I need a calorie counting break, I kind of have to eat more clean to both stay in a deficit and not feel starved.

Sometimes my inner geek is jazzed by the fact that I scan something, weigh something, track it, and even plot out calories over time. And sometimes there's enough other crap going on in my life that I need to leave the lab coat in the office, so to speak, and not put that much thought into whether I can work the math in some way to fit a brownie into my day; it's easier to just to say that for the a few weeks, I'll stick to an apple instead of a brownie just because I know the apple will fill me up faster on a calorie-per-calorie basis.

That part of it is all personal preference, but personal preference is a pretty major factor. For that reason, I would have trouble telling any individual that calorie counting is best without first having a conversation with them about their life and their eating habits.

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Another solid post. It' s a very useful tool to have in your toolbox but it's not the only one. I'd personally go batty if I counted all the time.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I'll add to the above by saying I think there may be a philosophical disconnect that happens. When a weight loss method doesn't work, do we blame the system or do we blame the person? For the record I think it's a false question. Because calorie counting is driven by empirical data it's very tempting to blame the person for whom it doesn't work, but that's not always useful.

If a weight loss system doesn't work for someone, we shouldn't necessarily assume that the person is broken because the weight loss method is sacrosanct. It's possible that the person may have run out of possible methods for losing weight, and really just needs to take a long hard look in the mirror....or something else could be going on that would indicate that another method would be more suitable. It doesn't devalue the first method overall, just for that context.

EDIT: removed quoted material as being a bit superfluous.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'll add to the above by saying I think there may be a philosophical disconnect that happens. When a weight loss method doesn't work, do we blame the system or do we blame the person? For the record I think it's a false question. Because calorie counting is driven by empirical data it's very tempting to blame the person for whom it doesn't work, but that's not always useful.

If a weight loss system doesn't work for someone, we shouldn't necessarily assume that the person is broken because the weight loss method is sacrosanct. It's possible that the person may have run out of possible methods for losing weight, and really just needs to take a long hard look in the mirror....or something else could be going on that would indicate that another method would be more suitable. It doesn't devalue the first method overall, just for that context.

EDIT: removed quoted material as being a bit superfluous.

Good thoughts. I'm going to think about the above.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I think calorie counting is an excellent learning tool that some of us need for a while, or maybe forever for some. I personally think that once one is thoroughly used to the amounts of foods one can eat to maintain their weight, it is safe to stop counting. After a while, you get so used to the quantities of the foods you eat regularly that you can safely estimate and stay on track; of course this approach requires monitoring one's weight regularly and adjusting eating and exercise accordingly. However, I'm speaking as a person who's always been really good at accurate estimation, and I think that personally, I'll switch to estimation without counting calories on here, or anywhere else but casually in my head, once I've been maintaining with the help of MFP for a few months. That should be plenty of time for me to learn an appropriate maintenance eating level.

I agree with the statement in that quote about feeling weird over analyzing food all the time. I had a lot of trouble with this when I first started using MFP-- it felt so unnatural that I started feeling like I might be getting an eating disorder from using the site! I took a few days off, which cooled that weird mindset off some, and logged what I'd eaten a couple of the days when I didn't come on here-- I had actually done very well in estimating how much I should be eating. Now, the mindset thing doesn't bother me as MFP has become part of my routine; plus I just started maintenance and I'm not yet accustomed to eating this much, especially with all the exercise I do!

I might have more to contribute later but it's 6 pm and I'm still at work-- should go home now!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    The deficit is fundamental to weight loss, but I think a lot of people confuse that with counting especially on here as the two are almost synonymous in some circles.

I'm with you on context though.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Have a think about the incredible popularity (especially in the UK) of another method of building in a deficit. Namely 5:2 intermittent fasting. For a lot of people the appeal is not having to count most of the time.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'm just tagging for now. Gotta get to the gym.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ...and I'm in here too.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Bump to come back to.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    In
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    We have chatted about this before so I know you know I agree that calorie counting is not always the best approach for some people. There are many ways to skin a cat as they say (not sure who 'they are' though). Personal preference and context are probably the most, or at least one of the most important considerations as to the 'best' approach for many different aspects of nutrition, as well as training for that matter.

Personally, I usually calorie count when cutting as this approach works for me. It does not 'take over' nor is it really a chore. I like to be as accurate as possible so I can ensure that my diet is as effective as possible (including getting enough protein and being able to ignore water weight fluctuations as I know I am in a deficit). However, at times, and when I am maintaining, whether planned or just because I need a break), I often do not track as I feel I need a mental break, especially if I have a lot of things going on outside diet and nutrition. I maintained my weight for years without tracking (or only sporadically tracking) and it worked for me. That being said, my approach is personal to me - it works for me and it does not cause me to have an unhealthy relationship with food that it can do for some.

I would add however, that outside circumstances when counting calories can lead to negative behavioral issues, counting calories will generally tend to be the 'best' choice for the many, especially if results are not being seen without accurate tracking.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    in. . .
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    In to read and ponder later
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I like your post.

For me, calorie counting is king. I thrive on numbers, I thrive on data. But it doesn't take over my life. I love to look at numbers on a great macro day, calculate the percentages, calculate expected results. But then when the scale doesn't play along, it's just another layer for me to analyze and see what I should change. I'm okay with that, it keeps my brain busy. It also allows me a certain amount of freedom in that I no longer feel guilty for eating something deemed bad. If the numbers line up, it's okay to eat that cookie.

I can easily see though how it can be overwhelming for some people. The level of data I love, might push others to the brink of insanity. I do think that people who have not had success with other "diets" would benefit from counting even for a little bit to understand what they are really eating.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think I've said before that I've used some of those other methods in that past and had success. Also on my wall that I'm cal counting now but don't expect to need it for maintenance since I haven't in the past.

I like your post.

There is I beleive room for different methods in different contexts and different times in one's life. For me personally right now cal counting is perfect b/c I want to learn serving sizes and I want to understand macro's and micro's eventually as I age in an effort to get adequate nutrition. I started caring about this a lot while pregnant and nursing and subsequently with anemia. Also when I recently gave up caffeine I was told to do so in such a meticulous tracking method that made me feel able to finally handle something so detailed as cal counting so for now I feel it gives me great control over various aspects of my diet and health goals.

I am in total agreement that there are other valid ways and that context is important in choosing.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Bump. However, will say that I think counting is very useful at least until maintenance has been established. Too many people gain the weight back. It's a shame that there isn't a way to get the numbers.
  • alevelali27
    alevelali27 Posts: 10
    Options
    I think that calorie counting works great as a kind of biofeedback method for gaining a better understanding of how much energy your body actually needs and how much energy you're getting from your food... It really makes you appreciate your nutrient dense foods a lot more, and can lead to a healthier lifestyle in general.

Once the science is well established (like it is for balancing your caloric input/output), then I think a physiologically-sound method is only as good as its compliance. This one has a very high compliance because it's so easy to just use the app/website and track your nutrition through there. However, I really think that people that are relying on the exercise calories being "subtracted" from their food calories as a way to be able to eat more are kind of fooling themselves... Calorie expenditure from exercise is really just a rough estimate and could be misused in that way, imo
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    In, but I'll have to come back later.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    We have chatted about this before so I know you know I agree that calorie counting is not always the best approach for some people. There are many ways to skin a cat as they say (not sure who 'they are' though). Personal preference and context are probably the most, or at least one of the most important considerations as to the 'best' approach for many different aspects of nutrition, as well as training for that matter.

Personally, I usually calorie count when cutting as this approach works for me. It does not 'take over' nor is it really a chore. I like to be as accurate as possible so I can ensure that my diet is as effective as possible (including getting enough protein and being able to ignore water weight fluctuations as I know I am in a deficit). However, at times, and when I am maintaining, whether planned or just because I need a break), I often do not track as I feel I need a mental break, especially if I have a lot of things going on outside diet and nutrition. I maintained my weight for years without tracking (or only sporadically tracking) and it worked for me. That being said, my approach is personal to me - it works for me and it does not cause me to have an unhealthy relationship with food that it can do for some.

I would add however, that outside circumstances when counting calories can lead to negative behavioral issues, counting calories will generally tend to be the 'best' choice for the many, especially if results are not being seen without accurate tracking.

I agree. It's what works for me, and pre-planning my calories lets me not think about it. Additionally, I know myself very well. If I were to stop counting and start winging it, my portions would grow, I'd miscount the donuts and the cookies, etc. As someone who was once VERY obese, hunger cues just don't work and I will overeat and gain weight. I think that given the amount of time involved in losing a lot of weight, doing something that is sustainable is important. For me, that's counting calories. I don't like setting myself up for failure, and denying my own tendencies to underestimate my calories/intake, giving up calorie counting would be a major problem.

My husband is going to try to lose 10 lbs or so once he can bring exercise back into his daily routine. I'm not going to recommend that he count calories, knowing his personality. But, I will be mindful about what I cook. In addition, if he simply started getting drip coffee instead of his super sweet whatever the hell it is coffee concoction, cut back on his sweets, and increase his activity level a smidge for a few months, he'd have those 10 lbs. gone and can go back to life as it was (unless of course the scale moves back up). If it looks like it's not working, then maybe he'll need to count calories.