walking is it enough or should i be doing more

ryry1322
ryry1322 Posts: 29 Member
I walk up to 2 hours a day everyday (try to jog for 5 mins). This results in 2.5 miles to 4 miles a day depending on how hot it is outside. here lately I use the porch step and do step ups. (I think that's what they are called) I do them pretty quick.

When I have the extra money to get to the gym I cycle 1-4 miles. Is this enough to help me lose weight or will it eventually quit working? I have lost 5 lbs so far.

Also when I hit a plateau how do I get through it.

Replies

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    I lost my first 45 pounds doing nothing but walking. You can add to a walking workout by increasing your speed, carrying some hand weights, using ankle weights (I never did this, it messed with my knees too much). You can do run/walks if you feel you need a heavier cardio workout.
  • fchammer1
    fchammer1 Posts: 8 Member
    Last December, 2013, when I visited, the nutritionist at the YMCA, I was told that DIET controlled 75% of one's weight loss and that EXERCISE might account for the other 25%. I was then 300 lbs, with a 50" waist, 70 years old, four back surgeries, neuropathy, spinal stenosis, and a degenerative disc condition. Exercise was and is not a top option.

What I did (and do) have is a good attitude. I am now 71, fifty pounds lighter, three shirt sizes smaller and my size 46" pants are about to get tossed for a pair of 44's (pants that is). Everything I eat is measured and recorded, and I weigh myself daily to do battle with any little stray ounce that tries to attach itself to some part of this old body.

Having a tough time with your exercise? Try changing your diet for a while. 52 cold seedless red grapes beat a pastry any time. Come on; you can do it! Cut the exercise down and put more emphasis on the diet.
  • ryry1322
    ryry1322 Posts: 29 Member
    thank you all so much. I was told it wasn't enough. I am eating 1400 calories a day. the first time I dieted for a month and lost nothing. once I started walking I started losing. I have hypothyroidism so maybe my thyroid was wonkey the first time I tried dieting. my thyroid levels are in normal range now and I have no where to go but forward.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Pure weight loss is about having a calorie deficit.

Overall health improvement requires exercise.

Medical conditions can complicate these 2 basics, but you should seek the advice of a registered dietitian familiar with your condition for specific advice.

These provide good information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • ublanchard
    ublanchard Posts: 47
    It's enough! One thing to think about is increasing the intensity of your workouts over time to maximize benefits. Because your body gets used to a physical activity and it has less of a calorie-burning effect. You can do intervals on a walk, where you walk very fast for a minute, and then a moderate pace for two minutes and repeat-- things like that. It gets your heart rate up and increases calorie burn and improves your cardiopulmonary health. I Googled up this example of an interval walk: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1221

If you're interested in more strength training like step-ups, you can do something like this one: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    It tells you to do stuff like 20 bodyweight squats which if you ask me is TOO MANY for a beginner, I did like 7 per set when I first started and worked up from there.

But yeah, walking is enough, especially two hours! That's great.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Walking might be enough to lose weight. But to stay in good overall shape, there is also Strength training, balance exercises and flexibility exercises. I do some of all of them. Though I think you are much younger than I am. I am a Senior citizen. I learned that at the Senior center, but I think it probalby applies to everyone.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Other than calorie deficit, walking is ALL I've been doing thus far.