Intermittent Fasting with Thyroid Issues

Options
Has anyone got any feedback on IF with thyroid problems?

I have Hashimoto's and looked into body recomposition but it is not recommended for those with thyroid problems and I was wondering if it was the same for IF.

Thanks,

Donna

Replies

• RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do IF and absolutely love it, I don't have any thyroid problems though. I'd ask your doctor first off but on a non-doctor route there is a YouTube channel "The Fasting Twins" that have a lot of helpful videos that can maybe help you find someone else that has those issues and does IF.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fastingtwins?feature=g-user
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Has anyone got any feedback on IF with thyroid problems?

I have Hashimoto's and looked into body recomposition but it is not recommended for those with thyroid problems and I was wondering if it was the same for IF.

Thanks,

Donna

I stopped IF due to it causing more issues with my Thyroid function. I loved IF'ing.

My doctor told me that I can use IF when I get to maintenance, but not while trying to lose weight.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Try googling hashimoto and intermittent fasting. One of the many links that came up:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/12/intermittent-fasting-as-a-therapy-for-hypothyroidism/
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't--but that's just me. My metabolism is f-ed up enough, I don't need to add to the dysfunction.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I do IF and absolutely love it, I don't have any thyroid problems though. I'd ask your doctor first off but on a non-doctor route there is a YouTube channel "The Fasting Twins" that have a lot of helpful videos that can maybe help you find someone else that has those issues and does IF.

Love the hodgetwins.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I tested negative for Hashimoto's although I do have hypothyrodism, which is controlled with Sinthroid. I eat Paleo (it works for me, I'm not trying to sell it in this post so no need for anyone to start freaking out ;), and do IF, and my bloodwork is awesome. I feel good.

You should ask your doctor but for me it has been just fine =)
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Love the hodgetwins.

Yes me too! All of their channels are awesome; helpful & entertaining.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Try googling hashimoto and intermittent fasting. One of the many links that came up:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/12/intermittent-fasting-as-a-therapy-for-hypothyroidism/

It doesn't work for everyone though................in order for IF to work with Hypothyroidism a doctor has to first rule out the possibility of Adrenal Gland Fatigue.

If one has AGF then IF for therapy of hypothyroidism will possibly not work.

I found out the hard way. IF made the AGF worse for me which in turn I didn't lose pounds or inches. I merely maintained my weight.

So, Dr started doing some research and found a connection between AGF and Hypothyroidism. I was told it would be ok for me to go back to IF'ing after I get to my goal weight, but not while trying to actively lose weight.
  • weimj396
    weimj396 Posts: 3
    Options
    Well, I'm hypothyroid and my trainer has me doing IF. I 'm a bit worried. I have levels of adrenal fatigue but I take meds for it all. That and cortisol meds as I have issues with it too. Curious to see how it all works. My lab work is all golden!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I've done IF and my conclusion after research is that the window is too big for women and should be smaller. Like 14/10. Apparently it wreakes havoc on female hormones. I know it made me moody and under performed in sport. I'm much happier now I've learned to moderate with MFP. My eating window is about 12 hours now, but not strict,with 4 meals, front loaded with carbs, back loaded with protein.

Can I ask you what reasons you have to do it? You look slim and fit already. Is it a moderation/binge thing?

Oops zombie post! Oh well!
  • weimj396
    weimj396 Posts: 3
    Options
    My trainer has me doing it. I take meds for cortisol and adrenal issues. I'm kinda worried i won't lose weight doing this. It's suppose to tap into the fat source.