This really frosts me - stupid, irresponsible reporter!

Options
MKEgal
MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
I'm on an email list called HARO (help a reporter out). Reporters pay to have their pitch sent to the list, and people who have knowledge which can help them write their article (or in some cases, agree to appear on video or TV) email the reporter. I've been 'published' a couple times this way.

In one recent pitch list, this one reporter had 2 pitches asking about juices, pills, creams, etc. to help with weight loss or a firm abdomen. :mad:
I emailed her about both of them, pointing out that the only responsible, healthy, and proven way to accomplish those goals is to eat less and move more.
I gave her links to BMI calculators, how to figure out an appropriate calorie level, how to find a personal trainer to help set up an exercise program, etc.

Maybe hearing from more people that her promotion of creams & shakes is stupid & irresponsible will make her re-think her article and present some sensible, safe health information.

Here's the site she's writing for: http://styleblazer.com/
And their contact email: info @ styleblazer.com
Maybe if people write them, they won't accept her fluff piece, and may ask for some serious healthy advice. (The whole site seems to be fluff, "style", etc., but it's worth a try. She's not listed as an author, so is apparently a freelancer.)

Here's the pitch.
Use the provided email address, but it's only active until the deadline. I'm breaking it up in case MFP has something against posting emails or URLs.

Summary: Best Pound Shedding Solutions
Name: Courtney Leiva StyleBlazer
Category: Lifestyle and Fitness
Email: query-3y1q @ helpareporter.net
Media Outlet: StyleBlazer
Deadline: 10:00 AM EST - 26 May

Query:
We're looking for anything from shakes, juices, and pills, to body shapers, creams, and diets for this pound shedding-themed article.

Replies

• HappyLilThang
    HappyLilThang Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Come on, miracle weight loss formulas are nothing new. No need to shame reporters. Besides, products do exist that have been approved by the FDA (such as ally), Dr Oz seems to recommend rasberry ketones. The list goes on, I personally dont see the harm being done by recommending these products. I beleive consumers are responsible and can do their own research and decide if they want to try a product. I`ll use this opportunity to say I love nivea`s skin tightening creme, works for me :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    What if that reporter is a member of MFP and sees she has been called stupid and irresponsible?

What if her article is slanted toward showing that the diets only worked because a calorie deficit was created?

I don't know, but I feel that "frost" is more about you than anything else..

These miracle weight loss methods have been around forever, and they will continue on, but I'm the consume and choose what to believe.
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I once wrote for a site like that. They don't want responsible reporters, they want cliquey readers who'll buy what they recommend from their advertisers. I mean, really, the entire "Fitness" section is about what to wear. I thought one article was actually going to be about working out, but I was wrong, it was about how to look like a star while being in a gym. Or near one. Or thinking about passing by one.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hey, you've got integrity. That's a good thing. But remember, people have to earn a buck! Sometimes we all do things we aren't fully behind, or even not fully understanding. Let it go man!