Could genetics make it impossible for me to lose thigh fat?

Options
Even after losing weight, and actually becoming slightly underweight, I was never unable to lose weight from my thighs. Squats, lunges, running, changing my diet, HIITT Training, the bike, biking, elliptical, and every other machine you can think of. My dad's thighs are pretty big for his body(even though he is thin in the upper body and lower legs, but pretty big, muscular thighs, like mine. I know it's good to have muscular thighs, but I would rather them be slim. I have tried everything though to lose the remaining fat. Is it possible that I was genetically structured to have this body type(a pear like structure? I have a slim upper body, and slim lower legs, but just large thighs no matter what. Help!

Replies

• Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    ?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Difficult, but not impossible. That being said, dependant on your body shape, 'slim' thighs may only be possible when you're at a very low bf% or have lost significant muscle mass in your thighs.
  • Stilllosing26
    Options
    Difficult, but not impossible. That being said, dependant on your body shape, 'slim' thighs may only be possible when you're at a very low bf% or have lost significant muscle mass in your thighs.

I see
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I see

My suggestion is, given you still felt uncomfortable with your thighs when you were underweight, is to talk to someone about it. It may be a matter of how you're seeing your body, rather than how it is. Aiming for something which may only be attainable through unhealthy measures is definitely something you want to try and deal with early on.
  • Stilllosing26
    Options

I see

My suggestion is, given you still felt uncomfortable with your thighs when you were underweight, is to talk to someone about it. It may be a matter of how you're seeing your body, rather than how it is. Aiming for something which may only be attainable through unhealthy measures is definitely something you want to try and deal with early on.

Its so hard
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Your basic body shape stays the same. You could add more muscle to your legs, that helps with burning fat and makes everything look tighter.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The fat comes off where it wants to, so it looks like the thighs are the last place where your body loses fat. The first step is to get down to your goal weight/body fat percentage.

If you don't have a noticeable amount of body fat on your legs then your legs are muscular and there are ways to lose leg muscle (exercise the surrounding areas but not the thigh muscle itself so it'll shrink or seem smaller in comparison).

Maybe you could talk to a personal trainer at a gym? Or try Brazil Butt Lift. That workout was designed for supermodels who want to look bikini ready, to lift their butts but at the same time not bulk up other areas. They do a lot of dance moves and their legs don't seem to gain a lot of muscle like Insanity makes people muscular.

But there is a strong genetic component and even after you've done all this you still might not get the results you want. :frown:

(Also that was a good point made by another poster to make sure it's not a body image issue... when you get to your goal weight ask people if they think your thighs look disproportionately big to make sure it's not just you.)
  • JaysWays
    JaysWays Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. As long as you have a healthy diet. You make healthy choices most of the time. You seem to workout alot. You are fine. I am 5 1 I will never fit in A size 1. I am in the best shape of my life, and still continuing to get better . I have bigger hips and thick Italian thighs. I use to hate them, I try not judge my body as much as I use too. Make sure your not so hard on yourself. Love every inch of your body. What is the most important is what your fueling your body with. If you ever need any advice or help let me know I am here to help! Good luck to you.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you want to lose muscle from your thighs?