I find it hard to eat consistently

Options
Hi my name is Dee, I am married and live with 2 of my kids and also my mum (i look after her) one of my sons has schizophrenia, i also work part time. I find when i am stressed out i cant eat, it is like a lump in my throat that wont go away and i am not hitting my 1200 calories a day (i am getting with in 300-500 though) will i still lose weight? but it talking longer to do so or with i just stay the same (i use to go days on just toast)

Replies

• TonyPillz
    TonyPillz Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    No you will not loose weight and your seriously harming your health by only eating that many calories , your body will go into starvation mode

Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low energy intake levels. During short periods of energy abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.

What ever weight you loose will be extremely unhealthy and may even make it harder for you to loose weight in the long run , you will gain every pound back + interest.

Starting eating please.
  • _Lovely77_
    _Lovely77_ Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Chances are you won't lose much if at all, well not what you WANT to lose anyways. Your body needs the calories in order for your metabolism to work just to digest your food properly. You burn about 600 minimum just to stay alive, breathing, heart rate, blood circulation and maintenance of body temp not to mention your immune system. Basically, whatever you're eating the 300-500 a day isn't even enough for your body to maintain its normal functions, therefore, its going to use what your body has stored IE protein to do this once it runs out of your consumption. Fat stores will go first but understand that your brain needs glucose ie carbs to fuel itself, the brain can not fuel majority of itself on fat as fat can not be converted into glucose. With that low of calories, I would be concerned of a prolonged ketosis reaction in your body. Your vitamins and minerals as well as electrolytes are going to suffer, making your immune system weak thus you run the risk of getting sick. If being stressed makes you lose your appetite, try eating very small meals of about 200 calories each and set your phone to go off every 2 hours to remind you to grab that meal. This way, you are basically eating like a bird at each meal but by the end of the day getting the amount of calories you need. Hope this helps. Good luck. PS. You are a rock star for taking on all that you are, so give yourself a break, a pat on the back and remind yourself that you can't take care of anyone, unless you are taking care of yourself too.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    will i still lose weight? but it talking longer to do so or with i just stay the same (i use to go days on just toast)

Yeah you'll lose weight and risk serious health issues as well
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Dee, I am married and live with 2 of my kids and also my mum (i look after her) one of my sons has schizophrenia, i also work part time. I find when i am stressed out i cant eat, it is like a lump in my throat that wont go away and i am not hitting my 1200 calories a day (i am getting with in 300-500 though) will i still lose weight? but it talking longer to do so or with i just stay the same (i use to go days on just toast)

Don't listen to the idiocy about starvation mode. If there were any such thing they'd bottle it and sell it in the third world.

If you have anxiety to a degree where you cannot eat: that is basically a physical form of anorexia (medically just means 'loss of appetite') and will be a real problem for you in quite a number of ways.

I recommend that for the sake of yourself, your family, everyone's future that you go get it diagnosed and some kind of treatment prescribed. You are under tremendous stress and the side effect of that is seratonin problems which when they get low enough can trigger things like generalised anxiety disorder, and depression. The cure, which enhances seratonin, can take you back up the curve again to where you can springboard off it and carry on trucking.

Meantime, if you cannot eat, the problem is probably that the next day you're starving, or whatever. it is hard to be consistent, and consistency is key.

But stability, emotional, financial and medical, are key to consistency in diet. Get your foundation right and everything else should come along. don't forget while you're taking all this care of other people that someone has to take care of you, too, and you are the only person who can do it.

Being a solo mum with a geriatric mother is no fun. No fun at all. With the schizophrenic laddy on top of that you are under tremendous pressure. Be kind to yourself and don't ask too much of yourself, and definitely do something about your anxiety because you deserve a happy life.

Woops editing: didn't read properly that you were married. also: youw ill lose weight fast but your body may, if it can defeat the anxiety, smack you around and force you to eat, and often not the healthiest stuff.

While you are going through all this stress get a very good multivitamin and force it down daily. It will make a difference to the anxiety levels, and it will help deal with the potential for malnutrition caused by the loss of appetite.

And if this continues longer than another 2 weeks definitely see your physician whether you want to or not. :)
  • _Lovely77_
    _Lovely77_ Posts: 993 Member
    Options

Don't listen to the idiocy about starvation mode. If there were any such thing they'd bottle it and sell it in the third world.

If you have anxiety to a degree where you cannot eat: that is basically a physical form of anorexia (medically just means 'loss of appetite') and will be a real problem for you in quite a number of ways.

I recommend that for the sake of yourself, your family, everyone's future that you go get it diagnosed and some kind of treatment prescribed. You are under tremendous stress and the side effect of that is seratonin problems which when they get low enough can trigger things like generalised anxiety disorder, and depression. The cure, which enhances seratonin, can take you back up the curve again to where you can springboard off it and carry on trucking.

Meantime, if you cannot eat, the problem is probably that the next day you're starving, or whatever. it is hard to be consistent, and consistency is key.

But stability, emotional, financial and medical, are key to consistency in diet. Get your foundation right and everything else should come along. don't forget while you're taking all this care of other people that someone has to take care of you, too, and you are the only person who can do it.

Being a solo mum with a geriatric mother is no fun. No fun at all. With the schizophrenic laddy on top of that you are under tremendous pressure. Be kind to yourself and don't ask too much of yourself, and definitely do something about your anxiety because you deserve a happy life.

couldn't agree more, well said. I do want to add though, starvation mode is very real, just not in the sense that we always hear about. Starvation mode in reality, is your body using your fat stores and proteins to feed and fuel your body to stay alive. Then when you do return to a normal eating pattern it will do whatever it can to make up for the deficit. It won't hold onto the 300-500 calories while you are basically starving, it's going to jump at the chance to use them up to spare your stores. Once nutrients are severely lost, there is no making up for it, just healing in which some damage is irreparable. For example, many recovering anorexics deal with heart issues due to the starvation they put their bodies through because the heart is a muscle and the body once it runs out of fats will go for protein (I've said this already, I know), which means the heart suffers greatly if this "starvation mode" continues for a prolonged period of time. Don't gamble with your health, listen to the poster above and seek help with your anxiety. I really do believe it will help you tremendously.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're so busy looking after everyone else that you're not having time to look after yourself. See your doctor to see whether there is any help available to you, even if it's just stress management help if they can't give any more practical help, or friends may rally round to give you an evening off or something but you really do need to be eating properly if you don't want to end up too weak and malnourished to cope with life. I really do feel for you, must feel like a hopeless situation sometimes x
  • ukdenzil
    ukdenzil Posts: 2
    Options
    I am so sorry i did not explaine my self very well i am way over weight cause i have not eating very well over the last 10-15 years and what food i do eat my body stores cause it dont know when it will get more.. i know this but as you all have said it is inpacting me in ways i havent thought of that is why now i am useing this app :) cause it is time for me to look after me :).. i have starting knitting to destress and gardening to get in a bit of exercise but i still find it hard to hit my 1200 target and then when i get close i put in how long i was garding and i have to eat more lol i feel so full up all the time lol.. any how my question even if i dont quite get all my 1200 calories will i still lost it but at a slower pace (even when i have lost the weight i will still use this app it keep it up)

AND a big thank you for all your help and answers
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could drink meal replacement shakes to make up the difference? Check out the different calorie amounts, as well as nutritional content, and find something that will help you reach your calorie goals. Ensure is a good one for getting some extra calories, and probably has a slightly higher fat content (and I would guess better micronutrients) than Slim-Fast or something meant for dieting, so I would honestly start with the Ensure.

Also make sure that you are measuring (weighing!) and logging your foods correctly. It may be that you are much closer to the 1200 than you think ... on the other hand, you may be farther under, too. Estimation can be off by several hundred calories, and most people tend to underestimate what they eat.

I hope you can find some healthy ways to manage the stress! :flowerforyou:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    No you will not loose weight and your seriously harming your health by only eating that many calories , your body will go into starvation mode

Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low energy intake levels. During short periods of energy abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.

What ever weight you loose will be extremely unhealthy and may even make it harder for you to loose weight in the long run , you will gain every pound back + interest.

Starting eating please.

No, no, no, no.....please read up on starvation so you don't need to spread information that is not true. The only thing I agree with is that the OP should eat more.......but that is difficult to do if not eating is her way of coping with stress.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry i did not explaine my self very well i am way over weight cause i have not eating very well over the last 10-15 years and what food i do eat my body stores cause it dont know when it will get more.. i know this but as you all have said it is inpacting me in ways i havent thought of that is why now i am useing this app :) cause it is time for me to look after me :).. i have starting knitting to destress and gardening to get in a bit of exercise but i still find it hard to hit my 1200 target and then when i get close i put in how long i was garding and i have to eat more lol i feel so full up all the time lol.. any how my question even if i dont quite get all my 1200 calories will i still lost it but at a slower pace (even when i have lost the weight i will still use this app it keep it up)

I also knit ( fine lace ) to keep my hands busy and keep from eating and also do a lot of gardening and walk 50 minutes six days a week and have so far lost 50 pounds. So I think you are on the right track....
    Good Luck !
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Your body doesn't store fat unless you're eating excess calories, so that's how you got over weight, not because your body 'didn't know when it will get more'. If you're struggling to meet your goal, look to more calorie dense foods like nuts, avocado, oils, etc. These will help bulk up your numbers. You will lose weight with a deficit. If you eat under 1200 cals, you will lose weight. However you will probably also be losing muscle mass and it's an all around bad idea unless closely supervised by a doctor.