Weight Loss Tips!!

Options
I have been trying for so long to lose weight through various diet and I have finally found something I can work with. I will snack throughout the day on fruit, vegetables etc., and eat a nice sized meal for dinner. But where I am struggling at is exercise. Im not athletic and I can't go for long periods of time. I was wondering if you guys had any tips for me on some good way to lose weight at steady rate while including some easy simple exercises?

Replies

• suescb71
    suescb71 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, ive never exercised my whole life until a few weeks ago, i find swimming and walking on a treadmill works for me for now until i get some more weight off,good luck x
  • SillyTree
    SillyTree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree that walking is a good place to start…
    Then… walk faster, for longer…
    I could be off base since I know little about you…
    BUT
    I would say just get moving and get your heart rate up for 10 - 20 mins. a day for 3 - 5 days a week would be a good place to start.
    Walk
    Hike
    Swim
    Cycle
    Push Ups
    Pull Ups
    Lunges
    Squats
    Sprints
    Jump Rope
    Basketball
    Sand VolleyBall
    Play With Kids In Yard
    Frisbee
    Disc Golf
    Help A Friend Move
    Softball
    Climb Stairs
    Jumping Jacks
    Stretching
    Yoga
    Tai Chi
    Dance
    Kayak
    Canoe
    Paddle Boat
    Chop Wood
    Soccer
  • nrida
    nrida Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great ideas Sillytree....doing things that you enjoy.

I have done the insanity videos, but they are too intense and hard to keep in a life-style. So I am starting small like jogging or dancing....small quick workouts that get your heart rate up. Also add weight training. Trick your mind that you're having fun and tell yourself that you will feel so much better after a workout.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I would say walk for 30 mins around 3x a week at first. Once you feel comfortable with that, increase to 4x a week, then 5x. Increase your pace as you go along. The goal here is to get your heart rate up, and as you do this more it becomes easier. :)

I love treadmills, I would get a portable dvd player and watch an episode of a TV show so I knew how long my workout was. You don't have to go FAST you just have to MOVE! :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. One foot in front of the other.

Start with that, then progress as you feel you can
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I have been trying for so long to lose weight through various diet and I have finally found something I can work with. I will snack throughout the day on fruit, vegetables etc., and eat a nice sized meal for dinner. But where I am struggling at is exercise. Im not athletic and I can't go for long periods of time. I was wondering if you guys had any tips for me on some good way to lose weight at steady rate while including some easy simple exercises?
    It takes time to build up fitness. No one goes from being completely sedentary/unfit to suddenly being "athletic". Neither are people born either athletic or not athletic. (There are of course some genetic differences in people's natural ability/aptitude for certain sports etc.) The only way to get fitter though is to be more active. You don't have to go for long periods of time. Start with what you can do, and do a little more each week. If you're walking, walk a little further. Or, walk the same distance a little faster. Same with anything else. Gradually build it up, and your fitness will improve.

If you really hate the type of exercise you've tried so far, try something else. I run a lot and am pretty fit, but I hate doing exercise videos, and every time I try one of those Jillian Michaels things, I want to give up half way through both because it's boring and it feels too difficult. I am fit enough, but it's just not a form of exercise that suits me. find something you like - maybe a zumba class, or pilates, or swimming, or cycling, or karate, or kick boxing or whatever (and a lot of things you can get video versions of if that's what you prefer.)

You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. It's extremely good for you, so I would never recommend not exercising if you can, but don't feel that your weight loss is relying on you being "athletic".
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing that gets you moving... if it feels like a chore, you won't want to keep it up.
  • Mehutchinson17
    Options
    I love my EA sports 2 which give you a work out that you can do in the comfort of your own home with three different efforts so you can start off with easy and work up to the harder sessions.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

The Russian Kettlebell is the only piece of equipment proven to burn 1200 calories in an hour! And it can be used jut about anywhere. You workout with half the amount of time you would with anything else and get twice the results. It is a full body workout. It does not isolate muscles. You don't just look strong; you are strong! It sets fat on fire!

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    C25k!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

The Russian Kettlebell is the only piece of equipment proven to burn 1200 calories in an hour! And it can be used jut about anywhere. You workout with half the amount of time you would with anything else and get twice the results. It is a full body workout. It does not isolate muscles. You don't just look strong; you are strong! It sets fat on fire!

Joanne Moniz

That equals out to 20 calories a minute...if I did my math right...it is early...

In the reading that I have done...4-10 calories a minute is the normal range...10 being those that reach an intense level.

Maybe you are super woman but there are very few people that could reach the intensity of burning 20 calories a minute for 60 minutes.

So...my question is...why would you imply to someone that is just a beginner at exercise that they can burn 1200 calories in an hour by throwing a kettlebell around. As a beginner the OP will do good to sling that thing around even at a low intensity for an hour.

My advice...know your audience...take time to read what they have wrote. Most people have given great advice...start slow...get moving...even if that moving is just walking at whatever pace that they they can achieve. You come along and tell them...sling a kettle bell for an hour and burn 1200 calories...really???

Nothing against kettlebells...but if you wanted to be helpful...you might have recommended that the OP just start lifting one...doing some beginner fitness level moves...instead of...sling it around for an hour and burn 1200 calories.

Really???

Okay...there is my rant about giving someone unrealistic info...
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of/tried c25k? It's a jogging program that has 3 workouts per week which involve walking and jogging and the amount of time jogging is gradually increased until you can jog for 30mins(which is supposed to be 5k but I wouldn't worry about speed/distance for now). I was never very fit but I've just finished week 2 and it's going great so far! Just jog slowly in the 'running' sections and you'll be surprised by how much you'll improve (I have been so far!) and you can repeat weeks if you need to.

I use the zen labs app (both android/iphone) and you can listen to your own music and there will be a voice telling you when to start walking/jogging so you don't have to worry about timing anything!

Good luck!
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    go to the Fitness Blender website. Free exercise videos for every level and every imaginable activity--do what you like.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about signing up for something? I registered for a 10 K walk in aid of a charity about three months in advance of the date at when I signed up. Building up to be sure I could do 10K across fields and up and down hills was a really good motivation for me to get out and walk several times a week. I've completed that walk but still continue to really enjoy my walking for exercise Good luck
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Walking... it is just that simple. You measure a distance in your car, a mile to start, then walk that and keep increasing your speed, then add further amounts/miles.

And if you live in an area not friendly to walking or the weather is not agreeable then I highly suggest getting Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVD's, she has many of them and they work! they are QUICK but have a big punch because of all she adds to them...
  • manimani93
    manimani93 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses I truly appreciate them and your kindness
  • GlennTipton
    GlennTipton Posts: 19
    Options
    My first post!

I would suggest at first just moving. Instead of catching the bus from your local stop, walk to the next one and catch it there. You can do the same on the way home, too. Instead of taking the escalator (travelator in US?), take the stairs. Same for the lift or elevator. When you park your car, park at the back so you have to walk. Once you start to get your body moving and feeling good your body will want you to look for something more.

I started doing Crossfit 3 years ago when I sobered up and wanted to lose weight. I loved it! You can start at any level and build as your skill and strength grows. The people are amazing and you only compete against yourself. It also helps in every day life lifting boxes, putting things on shelves etc. I have also since done some boxing and Muay Thai, which I also love. Exercise is a by-product of what I really enjoy doing.

I would also like to suggest that you skip the snacks. It's wasted calories you should be using for more wholesome, fulfilling meals. Do some research on Intermittent Fasting. You should skip breakfast and start with lunch. Ideally wait until dinner but have something in between if you are struggling. You will get many more calories per meal which will leave you more satiated. It also means you give your body 16 hours to burn body fat and replace all those damaged cells. I have been doing IF for almost 2 years. I now only eat once a day. I am stronger and look better than when I started. No lost muscle, no dizziness, no headaches, no irritability. Don't be afraid of the advertising to make you eat every hour. No one makes money from you eating less.

All the best.

Glenn.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    That's great you've found an eating plan that works for you.

As for exercise, it's not necessary to lose weight but it sure feels good. I personally weight lift and run. Is there any exercise you like, such as walking ,biking, etc? if so, you might just do that.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz
    Joanne, I am having a difficult time believing this. Can you please post your peer review showing this?
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started off super basic, walking! I put a song and noticed how far i walked that first day.. little by little i was walking farther before the song ended... next thing you know i was running a lap before the song ended...

Not only did the resistance/cardio started kicking in,.. the energy levels were better and the weight came off eventually