Vegans/Vegetarians - need some help!

Options
So I decided to quit eating dairy, just because it made me feel like crap. Then I got reading some stuff, and learned about hormones that are in meats and dairy products alike. I don't know much about it, so I don't want to go off here and say meat is terrible, dairy is terrible, but it was enough for me to say - I want to CUT down on this as much as possible.

Can you help me with some recipe ideas? Thanks in advance!

L.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Here is what I think is the best place to start.

http://vegweb.com/

Good Luck.
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    I am only vegetarian, but don't eat much dairy unless need be. I get a lot of recipes from www.eatingwell.com. i know our favorite thing to make is black beans and rice, super simple and no dairy.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am only vegetarian, but don't eat much dairy unless need be. I get a lot of recipes from www.eatingwell.com. i know our favorite thing to make is black beans and rice, super simple and no dairy.

Ooh nummy- great idea for dinner. Thanks!
  • chonnyj90
    Options
    This recipe blog is brilliant http://veganyumyum.com/ and for information/cookbooks I'd highly recommend The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone and Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.
  • InMyOwnWorld
    InMyOwnWorld Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Start slowly, try substituting things. Instead of milk, use almond milk (My absolute fav is Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla - its 40 calories and super yummy). I am a vegetarian after reading about the way meat is treating in the US, but I also cut down significantly on dairy products for the same reason. I get my eggs from a local farmers market - they are smaller, but its because there are no hormones in them. As for meat, I just cut it out completely. There are a lot of substitute products - my fave are Tofurkey lunch meat and Soy Chorizo. I have not found a ground beef substitute that I like, but its trial and error. I constantly search for recipes online, not just vegetarian recipes, but other recipes I can cut or substitute out products I wont use.

The hardest part is eating out. Usually soup is okay, but ask if it is chicken broth based. I like In and Out burgers, you can order without the beef patty and its still pretty yummy.

Hope some of this helps. :)
  • Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Vegetariantimes.com, nomeatzone.com, chefchloe.com, vegnews.com
  • carreycat
    Options
    there's a great site called savvy vegetarian or something. She should come up if you google her. She's also on facebook. She posts the most amazing recipes. Also i use the book 'how to cook everything vegetarian' by Mark Bittman a lot as well
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Start researching food from different cultures than your own to get inspired. There are lots of places in the world where meat and dairy play a very minor roll (if it's featured at all), and you can discover some amazing flavours.

Some that come immediately to mind: Ethiopian, Japanese and Korean food use dairy very infrequently. Much of South Indian cuisine is vegetable-based as well.
  • meredith414
    Options
    You can avoid the hormones and antibiotics by buying organic