Protein question

Options
Do I really need 1g/lb of body weight to help build muscle? I know to truly gain muscle you should eat more but I need to drop about 20# first. Not looking to be a body builder. Just gain strength. I lift at home 3 days a week and run at least 3 days. And do yoga.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Do I really need 1g/lb of body weight to help build muscle? I know to truly gain muscle you should eat more but I need to drop about 20# first. Not looking to be a body builder. Just gain strength. I lift at home 3 days a week and run at least 3 days. And do yoga.

.5-1g/ lb is fine if you aren't looking to get real muscly - just strong & toned. It's pretty d*mn easy to do that with a North American diet. If you make sure that your proteins are lean and watch your carb and other fat intakes too calories will be lower and you can lose the fat weight. :smile:
  • K8Fit
    K8Fit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Um...it's not to build muscle since your goal is weight loss and you are eating at a deficit it's to preserve muscle. It also helps with hunger.
  • dirtroadrunner3
    dirtroadrunner3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just want to be healthy and strong and to hit 80-120g that's a lot of food I would rather exchange for veggies or fruit. I have powder to supplement but I don't care for shakes much. Figuring out macros is an interesting endeavor.
  • dirtroadrunner3
    dirtroadrunner3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, def want to preserve muscle. Was just worrying when some days I'm lucky to hit 40g of protein. I do my best to keep it up there but like I said I seem to have some days of low protein. And I'm sure way to many carbs on those days.