The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options
jennifer_417
jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
For me:
1.The scale will break your heart 335786313689 times. All you can do is keep going.
2. You will have to learn to forgive yourself over and over again because you will mess up more times than you will think possible
3. To do it right takes patience, patience, and more patience.

What things have you learned that you didn't expect?

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I had to find a new brand of underwear, because the one I liked didn't make sizes small enough for my new body.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That it was actually pretty easy when I didn't over complicate the process.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I actually learned that I can lose inches with out losing any weight. I never read up on that and know I am very knowledgeable thanks to MFP.
  • mimi14fun
    mimi14fun Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong, just whatever works for YOU.

Its way easier to lose weight when you are younger, especially before menopause.... I am being serious.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Nobody told me that it's normal for the scale to fluctuate, I had to figure that out on my own..(I started my journey before I knew about mfp, so I had to learn the hard way with a lot of things)

Also, I used to be heavy and dream about what it would be like to be a size 4 jeans... Now that I am a size 4, I've realized that pants sizes, and what the scale says, really don't matter that much at all
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    4. Your bowel movements are going to go nuts when you try to replace your "unhealthy" diet with a bunch of raw veggies and other distress causing items.

5. Increased water intake makes you pee. A lot.
  • kyoshiwarrior
    kyoshiwarrior Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    4. Your bowel movements are going to go nuts when you try to replace your "unhealthy" diet with a bunch of raw veggies and other distress causing items.

This.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I have way more energy when I drink enough water (1 gallon for me)

Lifting isn't just training, it's therapy.

Cardio is not the only answer, but it's still something nice to maintain.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Scale losses don't mean you're getting smaller. I'm only 8lb down and have dropped a dress size already. That took me around 20lb or more when I did WW with no exercise!

I can drink 2-3l of water a day.

I do have self control.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    -- It takes your brain way longer to catch up with your body (i.e., you still feel you are/look heavier than you really are).

-- Nobody tells you to forget all the cr*p you tried/heard about in the past, open your mind, listen to people who have had success before you and learn before you leap.

-- Achieving results you never thought possible might make you reflect on many parts of your life and make the entire process more emotional than you expected.

-- Not losing weight on the scale doesn't mean you aren't making progress; you are fitter/stronger/healthier than before.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options

This.

Not ashamed to admit, I have minimum 2 good BMs a day now that I consume fibre and more leafy greens.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is always better than working with light weights for "toning only". Heavy weights increase your tone, strength, and speed for sports even if you can't or do not want to "bulk". The difference was astounding! Also, you burn a whole heck of a lot more calories to support muscle. I didn't know that either. Women who lift heavy don't start to look like men unless they "juice" with steroids. You cannot tell they lift until they flex or lift something really heavy. You also shrink without losing weight with heavy lifting. I've found cardio (my sport is cardio heavy) and heavy weights are the perfect combination.
  • ccm1912
    ccm1912 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the inches without losing pounds thing. Ive lost 3lbs total in the past 6 weeks, fight medication weight gain, but have lost inches on my waist, hips and thighs.

Running for long periods of time sometimes makes you have to "go."
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Your feet are gonna get cold, like, literally.
  • carpe_vinum
    carpe_vinum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No one told me I would still hate my body. After a 90 pound loss I have hanging, saggy yuk all over. I am looking at having a body lift and boob lift next year. I thought I would be "finished" when I lost the weight. I'm never "finished"......
  • haypennyt
    haypennyt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you're an above-average height girl, trousers in smaller sizes will start being too short! Seriously, my ankles come out every time I sit down. I can't bring myself to be too heartbroken about it though. UK size 12/14 (16 US?) to size 8 (4 US).
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    That just because you ate less calories for x amount of years to get to your goal doesn't mean you're now that skinny girl you grew up with who can eat 5,000 calories per day and not gain a single ounce!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    bump .... love to see what everyone says on this.
  • joeboo81
    joeboo81 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That it takes a lot longer for your self-image to catch up to your actual image.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

These.

And also to never post on MFP that you're having trouble meeting your calorie goals. Oh and how fing fabulous a good workout can make you feel.