The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    When your pants get to big and hang and sag on you....you can feel the top of your thighs rubbing together and then the crotch of your pants below the top of your thighs that are rubbing together!
  • Heatherybit
    Heatherybit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Being asked, "Did you cut your hair?"..a lot.
  • mrslstage
    mrslstage Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That the more I lost (close to goal) the less support I'd get.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have realised something. It really doesn't and shouldn't even matter if not a soul believes in you.

Sometimes in life you will be the only one on your team. Do not be afraid of it, but embrace it. Nothing anyone says or does should stop you from believing in yourself. Do not let it. Fight for yourself. Because at the end of the day, this is not for them, it's for you.

This is really big. Great wisdom :flowerforyou:

Aww thanks :):flowerforyou:
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 lbs heavier than my lightest last summer yet I look better and my waist size is back to what it was when I was scrawny in high school.

Basically throw your scale out the window. It's the worst judgement of the progress you're making.
  • savioroftheherpingderp
    Options
    How much your mental state affects your ability to lose weight. In the past I always let myself get bogged down akd upset. Realizing its nothing you can't beat if you're determined enough is liberating.

No one tells you its the small things that are great motivators either. Keeping my old prom dress out in thebopen has done wonders for my determination level.
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    OMG, you are SO right. I knew it would be more difficult but I never realized it was so difficult.
    It's just like a snail. I rmember being the SAME weight that I am now in HS and losing 13 lbs in ONE week
    and now, I am lucky to lose 4 lbs in a month sometimes...
    It's going slower and slower the older that I get, but I am keeping it off this time and that is a positive.
    The end results are all that matter and I have the rest of my life to do this thing (and I hope that's another 50 plus years:):)

There is no right or wrong, just whatever works for YOU.

Its way easier to lose weight when you are younger, especially before menopause.... I am being serious.
  • icandoit_resa
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • fiudave
    fiudave Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jennifer, I started somewhere, at my biggest, probably between 450 and 500 pounds (it could have been more but I'll never know for sure), and yesterday I weighed 247. The first thing I had to do was to make peace with my past and everything and everyone in it. I wrote my ideas on WordPress on civildave,com, and my before pictures are on my Facebook page...

Good luck!!

David Rice
    Miami Springs, FL
  • enchromaticc
    enchromaticc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump. These are amazing!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That you don't really look radically different naked until you get your body fat levels down pretty low. Until then it's not uncommon to just look like a slimmer version of your fatter self.

That you should never set an arbitrary goal weight based off some random number you visualize as slender. You might be surprised that you look great either higher, or more often the case, lower than said random number.

That's it's really important to be super honest with yourself and do it your way.

That almost everyone who loses regains some, all, or all and then some of the weight. It's very important to not delude yourself on the tough odds.

That a lot of times what people call "excess skin" is just "excess fat".
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    That it's basically a tedious ***** to track calories for fruits and vegetables (unless eating like, one banana or something), so vegetable soups have the potential (depending on complexity) to be so annoying to figure out that you just don't eat them. Like, what if you have a soup that you're sharing with a bud that has shrimp in it, but you only get 5 shrimps and he gets 10? How do you even....
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the scale says "Forget you and your weight loss efforts. I do what I wanna do."
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    The first time I lost weight was five years ago. I learnt to eat in moderation, have what you want but control the portions and dont have certain things too often. Take photos of your progress!!! This is so important because it was the only way I could see a difference for a while. Another thing, after losing the weight i still felt like the overweight me. This carried on for months! Lol
  • Alaterial
    Alaterial Posts: 2
    Options
    The most important factor in sustained weight loss is diet.
    You can exercise daily - and you'll see a lot of benefits from doing so - but if you're not eating at a caloric deficit, you're not going to lose weight in the long run.
  • Thunderthighs131
    Thunderthighs131 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This thread was really inspiring and motivating! Thanks to all who contributed! :flowerforyou:
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ... that you might not actually like how you look when you've lost weight. Not because you're "skinny fat" or because you don't like a lean look, but because fat can hide some imperfections. Since losing about 22 lbs, I've found I'm very self conscious about my face shape. My dentist found when he was doing xrays that my jaw is asymmetrical and so it makes one side of my face narrow, and the other side wider/flatter. The fat hid that pretty well for ages, but now I'm noticing it a lot more. Learning to accept it... :ohwell:
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Oh also, goodbye boobs.

Also, that once you get used to eating a certain amount (your weight-loss food quantity), it will be really interesting at first getting used to eating so you can maintain. And that your digestive system is going to have to readjust as well.

If you objected to belts before, because they were uncomfortable, they are now your friend since all your pants are loose! (I am going to have to slowly rebuild my pants wardrobe).
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    ... that you might not actually like how you look when you've lost weight. Not because you're "skinny fat" or because you don't like a lean look, but because fat can hide some imperfections. Since losing about 22 lbs, I've found I'm very self conscious about my face shape. My dentist found when he was doing xrays that my jaw is asymmetrical and so it makes one side of my face narrow, and the other side wider/flatter. The fat hid that pretty well for ages, but now I'm noticing it a lot more. Learning to accept it... :ohwell:

My fiance and one of my friends both have face shapes like this! Asymmetry is super common.
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    4. Your bowel movements are going to go nuts when you try to replace your "unhealthy" diet with a bunch of raw veggies and other distress causing items.

5. Increased water intake makes you pee. A lot.

haHAHA YEP