The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That it takes a lot longer for your self-image to catch up to your actual image.

This. I started out at 216.8 pounds. I made it down to 140. I'm fluctuating a little. But like someone else said. Even after losing 72 pounds I'm still not completely happy with myself. The mental image I have in my head of myself doesn't really match what's in the mirror. I still think I'm bigger when I'm not faced with the mirror. If you laid out different sizes of pants without the sizes marked, I'd probably choose a bigger size than what I need. It really is a mind over matter thing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You might not look the way you expected when you've lost the weight. No matter how much you exercise, depending on your age, genetics, or how long you've been overweight, you might have some loose skin.

You don't have to deprive yourself of the things you love.

It's a lifestyle change. What you're eating now to lose weight will probably be close to what you'll have to eat later to maintain your weight.
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome thread! Bump to read more later :)
  • MrsFlip7
    MrsFlip7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    About all the farting that occurs at the squat rack. And running gives you the best endorphin high ever.

Oh, and nobody told me how expensive it would be to replace all my clothes multiple times, even by shopping at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

Oh the amount of money I have spent on clothing...and after losing too much, and then gaining everything back wishing I had kept clothing that I need now
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    As a guy who hates shopping ive had to learn to try on clothes before i buy them now. A mistake i still often make such as over memorial day weekend bought five new shirts and took the tags off and washed them, now trying them on i see they are all too big and baggy -.-
  • MrsFlip7
    MrsFlip7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Losing weight won't change your personality.

When I started losing weigh, I became irritable, mean and self absorbed
  • JeffInJax
    Options
    About all the farting that occurs at the squat rack. And running gives you the best endorphin high ever.

Oh, and nobody told me how expensive it would be to replace all my clothes multiple times, even by shopping at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

Oh the amount of money I have spent on clothing...and after losing too much, and then gaining everything back wishing I had kept clothing that I need now

I think this is different per person, I throw away all my clothes that are too large now so i have nothing to fit in if i gain weight back. Maybe that is dumb of me not sure but its a form of motivation personally since i hate shopping with a passion lol.
  • JeffInJax
    Options
    That it takes a lot longer for your self-image to catch up to your actual image.

This. I started out at 216.8 pounds. I made it down to 140. I'm fluctuating a little. But like someone else said. Even after losing 72 pounds I'm still not completely happy with myself. The mental image I have in my head of myself doesn't really match what's in the mirror. I still think I'm bigger when I'm not faced with the mirror. If you laid out different sizes of pants without the sizes marked, I'd probably choose a bigger size than what I need. It really is a mind over matter thing.

I can understand this completely. Ive went from 380 to 258 currently, and friends tell me to talk to someone I find attractive but im still in that 380 pound mindset that those same people would not give me the time of day before.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    That true motivation for me started when I "hit bottom" (for me it was needing size 42 pants). That the most important part of the MFP magic is the social support network. That you can't just go through the motions at the gym and get results. That the BMI chart is true. That we lie to ourselves every day until we get the courage to use a food scale.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You will misjudge distances relative to your body size. You will also remember you have hip bones and they hurt like the ****ens when you bang them into drawers and counters.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to learn that it's a lot easier to approach weight loss from a very scientific "if I do x, y will happen" approach than the old emotional approach I've unfortunately used in the past. The farther removed I can get from the process emotionally speaking, the easier it is for me to not get bummed out and keep going no matter what each individual day brings.

This ^^^.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I can understand this completely. Ive went from 380 to 258 currently, and friends tell me to talk to someone I find attractive but im still in that 380 pound mindset that those same people would not give me the time of day before.

This is so true! The other day mom ordered trousers which were too big for her so she stated I should have them. I looked at them ... they're tiny, I said. If you take them in a little they would fit you like a glove, but no way I would be able to squeeze into them. She convinced me to try them anyway, and .. they actually fit! They were a size 16. I still can't visualize clothes without trying them on because I would end up picking something 2-3 sizes too big (I used to be a size 28)
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that is soooo true.

It takes a lot of work - not only to change the physical self, but to change the way we think. Learning to treat ourselves with kindness (for once) is a big undertaking. We are compassionate with others, why not with ourselves?? People say "you'll be so much happier when you lose the weight"...well, yes, and no. Trying to "find myself" at 59 years old?? Whoa, lol. This past year has been a real trip down the road of introspection, but reading here what other peeps have been going through makes me realize I'm standing on quite common ground. Go humans! :) Thanks for posting.
  • MrsFlint2013
    MrsFlint2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bumping to read everything later. So encouraging! :)
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options

-- Achieving results you never thought possible might make you reflect on many parts of your life and make the entire process more emotional than you expected.

Yes, this...
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Losing the weight is only the first half of the war. If you did it properly, your habits will have changed for the better. Then you have to make sure you stay true to the good habits.

It’s good to always have a backup plan for food. Have some healthy snacks handy and know which takeout options are good.

If you do cheat remember that you can compensate for it with extra exercise and/or omitting certain foods the following day. Don’t get caught in your own pity party.

Failure cannot be blamed on anyone but you. Know your temptations, stay away from them or find healthy replacements for them. Temptations are always going to be there.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Learning to eat more, was a challenge and a half. Fat, fibre and protein, is good for me, in large quantities. Learned to drink plenty of water, and became addicted to exercise.
  • Shan_Lindsay
    Shan_Lindsay Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That the closer you get to your goal, the more negative comments you'll hear from family and friends.

^This. Some people will be supportive. Others will be jealous.
  • ishadakhute1
    ishadakhute1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    please share
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's very simple, but it's very hard.