The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• healthysista66
    Options
    That it takes a lot longer for your self-image to catch up to your actual image.

This x 1000 ..

So true.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It's much harder after 50... I used to drop 10 a week easily.
  • afkirby
    afkirby Posts: 1
    Options
    ????
  • pjb58
    pjb58 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    NICE! I am there with bras.
  • vixen0babs
    vixen0babs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh, and nobody told me how expensive it would be to replace all my clothes multiple times, even by shopping at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

Oh my god, yes! You can only put it off so long before you admit to yourself that wearing pants that are 4 sizes too big just looks ridiculous and the only thing holding them up is a belt, and your shirts now look like hefty sacks/dresses.
  • BeachinBeauty
    BeachinBeauty Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this one has already been put out there, but I'm going to add: Weight doesn't come off symmetrically.

I always assumed that when I'd lose weight, it would all come off nice and neat, equally on both sides. That hasn't been the case.
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    - How much I'd regret the time I spent being fat.
    Oh gosh. THIS.

But then, in about a year, I am going to be SO happy I spent this time getting thin. Yay!
  • BeachinBeauty
    BeachinBeauty Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you were very heavy when you started, you will start discovering new body parts, and not all of them in a good way... you will no longer have the luxury of cushioning when you attempt to sit on hard surfaces.

Lol, last week I reached up and felt very prominent collar bones... then proceeded to play with them for a good thirty minutes while moving my neck around to accentuate them in the mirror.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is such a great thread, and I needed this today.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    When you accidently gain back 5 pounds because you said screw logging for almost two weeks, you will beat yourself up like no tomorrow.
    That getting off track happens, now getting back on track is a tiny bit harder to do.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    When you lose body fat, there will likely be loose, finely wrinkled skin where it was, such as on belly & under arms.( In plank position the stomach skin hangs down & when standing lifting arms the wings under arms show.) While I can see it in the mirror, I look fine standing up (see profile pic).

I'm taking all this as a positive in that I'm still loosing body fat. Since I weight lift my arms & stomach are improving. I intend to keep going with the weight lifting and cardio with a weight based component (e.g.. Aqua Fit/ suspension straps). I also working on pull ups/ hanging dips. Do push ups from toes.

The progress is taking longer than I first imagined, requires lots of patience. I got myself various measuring devices so I know I'm making progress even if small. MyoTape, digital callipers, body fat scale. I have kitchen scales too which I make use of daily.

Just keep at it.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    No one told me that just because I lost weight in every other body part, I would not lose weight (or not a significant amount) in my boobs and because of this, I've gone from a F cup at my heaviest to an H cup although I'm down almost 70 lbs. Not fair. I worry that if this trend continues, I'm going to have to find a place to get custom bras made. Where am I going to buy a 36 J bra??? If this continues, I'm going to look like a brunette Barbie doll.
  • 281Danielle
    281Danielle Posts: 113
    Options
    Just do it, don't over think it, jump in with both feet. All that time I spent complaining about my weight I could have been changing it. I stayed fat because I made excuses and wasn't ready to change my lazy, eat everything in sight lifestyle.
  • janet41283
    janet41283 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to all your friends and family. Everyone seems to have advice. Most of that advice stinks. Go with what you feel is right. Different things work for different people.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That just because you've become a size <whatever> doesn't mean you'll automatically know how to dress that size <whatever> body.

Oh and this. The last time I was this weight I was in my 20s. I'm pretty sure nothing I was wearing then is going to work now.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    surprised I lost inches faster than pounds
  • Mgypsygirl
    Mgypsygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have learned:
    1. Cooking in healthier ways actually taste good if you mix it up with what you like.
    2. Losing weight is not as actually as difficult as I was making it. (I do not have a thyroid problem, am not big boned, and all the other excuses I made were just excuses.) It turns out after a chat with my doctor that my weight was absolutely my unhealthy lifestyle. Amazingly, I learned less calories and more activity really works!!
    3. I can run 4 miles a day and feel great.
    4. Old habits must be replaced with better ones. I snack at night on healthier choices and much smaller quantities.
    5. I still want to eat when I'm upset, the urge is still there instead I run or talk to someone.
    6. I can go out to dinner and still make healthy choices.
    7. Sometimes your friends and family miss the old you and tempt you because they think they are doing you a favor, however you must help them understand that the new you is stronger and has better ways to have fun, deal with stress, and socialize.
  • HollyKarlsen
    HollyKarlsen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That people don't care what you eat when you're overweight and sickly, but start eating healthy, exercising, and losing weight and suddenly everyone is worried about your health. Makes absolutely no sense. I'm in the best shape of my life and I get criticized all the time by people who are in horrible shape themselves.

And - as mentioned before - that my hands would be so darn cold all the time!
  • Mgypsygirl
    Mgypsygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow-completely agree with you.
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    4. Your bowel movements are going to go nuts when you try to replace your "unhealthy" diet with a bunch of raw veggies and other distress causing items.

5. Increased water intake makes you pee. A lot.

This.

Here, here!