The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just how much my unhealthy friends would try to peer pressure me into eating the same things they do!!

I don't say a word about their pizza, daily desserts, fried foods, etc. But the second I order a salad, its peer pressure madness.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That it takes a lot longer for your self-image to catch up to your actual image.

This. I started out at 216.8 pounds. I made it down to 140. I'm fluctuating a little. But like someone else said. Even after losing 72 pounds I'm still not completely happy with myself. The mental image I have in my head of myself doesn't really match what's in the mirror. I still think I'm bigger when I'm not faced with the mirror. If you laid out different sizes of pants without the sizes marked, I'd probably choose a bigger size than what I need. It really is a mind over matter thing.

I was super skinny until about 5-6 years ago and I still pick clothes up that are way to small for my current body. I wonder how it will be when I get back to a small size again.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That weight loss by inexpensive means (no gyms or classes....just running and cutting back on food) becomes expensive when NOTHING...including your bras, undies, and shoes NO LONGER fit. You want to be excited that you are smaller, but the cost of replacing literally everything you own is incredibly frustrating (and in particular if you do NOT like to shop).

I can't wait to shop for small clothes again. I used to love clothes shopping and when I got fat, I began to dread needing new stuff. I literally can't wait to clean out my closet
  • mich0718
    mich0718 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My scales were stuck with the 1200 calorie a day and workout, switched to TDEE at Eat More 2 Weigh Less and things are starting to move again.
  • mandymae40921
    mandymae40921 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I went from sweating all the time to being cold all the time.
    Plus, I forgot who I was, now I remember. Good feeling.
  • Ani45
    Ani45 Posts: 47
    Options
    You will misjudge distances relative to your body size. You will also remember you have hip bones and they hurt like the ****ens when you bang them into drawers and counters.

LOL SO TRUE. My hip bones often have bruises
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I went from sweating all the time to being cold all the time.
    Plus, I forgot who I was, now I remember. Good feeling.

While im not cold either, I dont sweat nearly as much and have noticed i have developed a complex about smelling good because of how much i used to sweat at my heaviest weight lol.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    That it takes a lot longer for your self-image to catch up to your actual image.

This x 1000 ..
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    In for future reading.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You discover you are much more flexible than you thought you were, and the things you couldn't do were merely because fat was getting in the way.
  • gmcoulombe
    gmcoulombe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1. That your insecure friend will be upset/angry when you are no longer the "fat friend" of the group.

2. That friends/family with good intentions will sabotage you.

3. The hot guy at the bar still won't notice you just because you've lost weight.

4. Losing weight for yourself is the only reason you need or it will creep back on when you don't get the right validation from others.

5. You will be cold all the time!
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    For me it was always drilled into my head that I needed to eat like a rabbit and do lots of cardio..... I feel 10 times better eating what Ilike and doing streangth training

Also youre going to play a lot of head games with yourself, instead of listening to that, go to the gym and beat yourself up with exercise....no way I still feel crappy after strength training
  • Jonnad24
    Jonnad24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This lets me know that some of the things that I am dealing with are normal or at least I'm not the only one.
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That my MFP friends (none of whom I know personally) are super supportive and the ones I prefer to go to for both the good and bad parts of this whole thing.
    This. You folks are the most important people in my life right now. Oh yeah, and God too, who is providing the time and resources now that I am serious. Not just "oh, yeah I am going to do that diet soon" serious, but "I am doing this diet. NOW." serious. Or, maybe the resources were there all along.... I am down 18 so far and that is pretty frigging amazing to me. Also, I can actually feel that my stomach is smaller. Amazing....

Thank you all for being there!
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy going out to eat anymore.
    I enjoy going out to eat. I don't enjoy having to spend HOURS figuring out what I will eat when I get there, what I will eat the rest of the day (to allow for the calories), and how far I will have to walk to allocate calories.

...wait, maybe I don't enjoy going out to eat anymore after all!:grumble:
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    That it was actually pretty easy when I didn't over complicate the process.

This!
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I learned that I am capable of doing so much more, than I thought. I learned that I was holding MYSELF back.
  • my_transformation2014
    Options
    I actually learned that I can lose inches with out losing any weight. I never read up on that and know I am very knowledgeable thanks to MFP.

So true...I had to learn to stop weighing myself for that reason
  • healthysista66
    Options
    -- It takes your brain way longer to catch up with your body (i.e., you still feel you are/look heavier than you really are).

-- Nobody tells you to forget all the cr*p you tried/heard about in the past, open your mind, listen to people who have had success before you and learn before you leap.

-- Achieving results you never thought possible might make you reflect on many parts of your life and make the entire process more emotional than you expected.

-- Not losing weight on the scale doesn't mean you aren't making progress; you are fitter/stronger/healthier than before.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Mentally stronger then thought possible.

Working out becomes enjoyable and something to look forward to.

Constantly being cold.