The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• dpandori
    dpandori Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Diet changes + Yoga = lots of farts. For me at least. Maybe I'm just a gassy girl.

Also squatting.

Also lifting in general.

You're going to fart in public is what I'm saying here.

This. All through heavy lifting.

This is the best post ever. :-)
  • phoebezeng
    phoebezeng Posts: 8
    Options
    That's the surprise everyone here would love to have ! :D
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    People not recognizing me. Having to buy underwear because the old ones fell to ground. People asking me if I have had work done. Drinking more water than any other time in my life. Reading GQ and Esquire for clothing options. Felt the best I have in years. The Gym staff knows you by name.
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Transforming your body can also transform your mind.
    You might end up getting divorced.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Eating "healthy" food will become very enjoyable.
    Eating "unhealthy" food will remain very enjoyable (at least until about two hours later).
    Exercise will become a habit that you enjoy and count on.
    People will notice your weight loss but not say anything to you.
    That even if you have "earned" the calories by exercise, you can still overeat on the greatest exercise day.
    That it is so easy to slip a few pounds back on if you aren't careful.
  • willbfit4life
    willbfit4life Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It sure is easier when you are younger! I have a double whammy-menopause and lost half of my thyroid. Weight loss is painfully slow!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That tough love from your MFP friends who are going through the same things helps more than anyone you closely know IRL.

That using what you have learned to motivate others pulls me out of a funk faster than just about anything else.

That I actually have learned things, despite still being significantly overweight.

That at between 85-100 pounds weight gone, I feel like a different person. I can't sink into that mindset again at all...foreign!

That I don't FEEL the larger weight loss - just the portion since I started again, this time for the right reasons in the right ways. (21 pounds, not 87...)

That putting yourself on blast is helpful for some, detrimental for others - that all of this is so different for different folks - and even different for yourself at different stages...

That certain goals that seemed so big at some point can actually hold you back if they affect what you allow yourself to do at different times.

That focusing on overall health for me is the key....

That losing a clothing size and having nothing to wear is far more annoying that flattering most days...

(I'll add more as I think of them!!)
  • lisawhish
    lisawhish Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you all. The most motivating series of posts I have read yet. Much needed at the moment and very much appreciated.
  • dcamell
    dcamell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That I would notice a marked increase (like, three months rather than three weeks.) in the lifespan of a pack of toilet paper while eating less.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    1. That even if I hit my ultimate 'no way in hell' goal, I would still not be happy with my body.
    2. That if I work out hard, I DO like my body. SAME body-different mind
    3. That making friends here on MFP would last for over 5 years. People are key. :flowerforyou:
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    That my belt would become my best friend, and I hate belts
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You'll get satisfaction and enjoyment out of watching other people meet their weight loss goals. Before MFP, I didn't think I'd give a flying fig about OTHER people losing weight. The best way to get me to leave a conversation is to start talking about diets and dieting. Booooooooooooooring!

On MyFitnessPal, Success Stories is my favorite part of the forums. It's very motivating and encourages you to focus on reaching your own goals. Plus you pick up lots of tips for the transition phase.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    -That I still don't know how to accept compliments.

-That the people at the gym will have your member number on your key tag memorized because you're there so regularly.

-That many sizes of clothing will fit you. A size 8 dress, size 12 jeans, size 10 pants, medium shirts, XL shirts. It makes no sense to me. They all fit.

-That support can come in many ways, but I've found I've been the most successful once I had some friends on here that were active every day and that interacted with me. Before I found the awesome people on my FL, I would skip logging entire days last year, not measure anything, stuff like that. Once I figured out how to add people on here, my consistency improved.
  • Carternc98
    Carternc98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    -- It takes your brain way longer to catch up with your body (i.e., you still feel you are/look heavier than you really are).

-- Nobody tells you to forget all the cr*p you tried/heard about in the past, open your mind, listen to people who have had success before you and learn before you leap.

-- Achieving results you never thought possible might make you reflect on many parts of your life and make the entire process more emotional than you expected.

-- Not losing weight on the scale doesn't mean you aren't making progress; you are fitter/stronger/healthier than before.
  • chasingdreams18
    chasingdreams18 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    -- It takes your brain way longer to catch up with your body (i.e., you still feel you are/look heavier than you really are).

-- Nobody tells you to forget all the cr*p you tried/heard about in the past, open your mind, listen to people who have had success before you and learn before you leap.

-- Achieving results you never thought possible might make you reflect on many parts of your life and make the entire process more emotional than you expected.

-- Not losing weight on the scale doesn't mean you aren't making progress; you are fitter/stronger/healthier than before.

^^^This
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    (Most) Vegetables actually taste pretty dang good when prepared correctly.

Exercise really does feel good.

Weight loss doesn't mean never eating a cheeseburger or pizza ever again.

And yeah...that whole peeing all the time thing.
  • cheryl1586
    cheryl1586 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • poisonivy73
    poisonivy73 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Losing weight won't change your personality.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    That one day you will be so exhausted after a workout that you wish someone could bring the toilet to you.