Dietary Percentages and Calories

Options
So I have heard from a lot of people that the goals that are set on here aren't necessarily right. I just signed up for MFP and it put me at 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat. Call me crazy but that just doesn't sound right. Plus it put me at 1200 calories, and I know that if you go under 1200 calories a day it puts your body into starvation mode and stores fat. I have a body builder friend who suggested I do 30% fat, 30% carbs, and 40% protein and 1500 calories. Anyone have some other suggestion for me or does that sound good. I am 5ft2 in and 195 lbs. I would eventually like to get down to 125 lbs. I am not that active but plan to change that since I just graduated and have more free time now(I have a wonderful 10 mile bike path by my house). Also, what are peoples suggestions/opinions on eating more portion controlled/in moderation regular full fat food instead of the diet/lite versions(which typically contain more sugar)???? Thanks for any help you all can give :)

Replies

• Dragonborn79
    Dragonborn79 Posts: 161
    Options
    My D.O. told me 25% carbs, 30% protein, and the rest (45%) fat. And to focus on making sure I get at least 25g fiber and all of my protein. This is kind of tricky because I'm still not sure if he means net or total carbs. I'm usually above in total carbs, but good if I subtract fiber. He also suggests I stay between 1,400 - 1,500 calories, because at my height, a weight of 140-150 would be ideal. (Goal weight x10). This is one approach though. Find something you can stick with that yields results.
  • courtney123180
    courtney123180 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Well I would like to weigh 125 lbs. That means 1250 calories. I am not looking to drop it super fast(slow and steady wins the race!). I'm tired of stressing over making sure I lose at least 10 lbs each month, or be depressed because I didn't meet that goal. I have been in nursing school the last three years, and right before it started I was doing well on my weight loss and working out. As soon as school started I started eating like crap and didn't have time to exercise. In 6 months I put on 30 lbs and haven't been able to take it off since. However, I have been under tons of stress and I know stress has negative effects on trying to lose weight.
  • krissyb2424
    krissyb2424 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    At this point, I suggest taking a little focus on the #'s so much, and let's look at where your getting your food. Eat whole, unprocessed foods. You shouldn't feel deprived once you start giving your body high quality food. Personally, I'm pretty impressed with your doctor's recommendation for the macros. Be sure your carbs are coming from low sugar fruit (berries), and sweet potatoes, potatoes, and occasionally rice/ quinoa. Really important to keep your sugar low. I would say under 25g a day....
    Don't starve yourself, but make sure everything you put in your body is nutrient dense. Deeply colored vegetables, healthy fats (grass fed butter, coconut oil, avocados, ghee...), good quality lean protein. If you want to add me you can look over my daily log and I don't mind giving you swaps or suggestions on yours.

Best of luck!
  • krissyb2424
    Options
    Also, exercise is important. It's going to help you get your hormones balanced, feel better, get more energy, which will then aid in weight loss. Just start with walking. When you feel like you could do a sprint, try sprinting for just 15 seconds, then go back to walking, and sprint again when you feel able to.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Well I would like to weigh 125 lbs. That means 1250 calories.

There are much much better ways to calculate your calorie needs than this. When I weighed 125lb I was losing weight at 1800 cals/day....... I no longer weigh this much as I've done bulking cycles since then as I was also losing strength at this weight, quite dramatically, So I maintain at a higher number than this... but that's beside the point.... you can get to 125lb eating a lot more than 1250 calories. (and it's a healthy weight for many people, depending on their height and frame size, I was just explaining why I chose to gain weight since then)

There' a thread on here with a title that's something like "your guide to sexypants" (if you search for it you should find it) which explains a much better way to calculate your daily calorie needs, it also has info that will answer your question about your macro ratios (i.e. what percentage of fat, carbs etc you should be getting).
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So I have heard from a lot of people that the goals that are set on here aren't necessarily right. I just signed up for MFP and it put me at 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat. Call me crazy but that just doesn't sound right. Plus it put me at 1200 calories, and I know that if you go under 1200 calories a day it puts your body into starvation mode and stores fat. I have a body builder friend who suggested I do 30% fat, 30% carbs, and 40% protein and 1500 calories. Anyone have some other suggestion for me or does that sound good. I am 5ft2 in and 195 lbs. I would eventually like to get down to 125 lbs. I am not that active but plan to change that since I just graduated and have more free time now(I have a wonderful 10 mile bike path by my house). Also, what are peoples suggestions/opinions on eating more portion controlled/in moderation regular full fat food instead of the diet/lite versions(which typically contain more sugar)???? Thanks for any help you all can give :)

Just focus on calories right now. Don't worry about "starvation mode" as it doesn't exist - yes it's just a myth. Also, set MFP at 1 or 1.5 lbs/week to lose if 1200 cals is so low that you're hungry.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about %
    Try out some things, figure out what works for you. As long as you getting enough protein and veggies, and try to add more movement, you're good :)

I naturally fall at about 50-60% carbs, and the rest about equal protein and fats.
    I monitor calorie range (2300-2800) and try to get at least 100 grams of protein a day.
    Slowly losing BF%
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Eat what you normally like to. Just less of it.(1250 of it, but don't forget to eat back most of your exercise calories-and double check the numbers on a heart rate monitor, the numbers are kinda wrong here), but at your weight now they'll be much higher than at lower weights...ie I'm a triathlete and I burn 600 ph running, 400/500 cycling and swimming, and 200 ph walking.

This moderation thing is a life journey. Maintaining 125lb is going to take lifelong discipline and moderation. You may as well make it as enjoyable and tolerable as possible from the get go.
  • courtney123180
    Options
    thanks for all the great information and help you guys. i did weight watchers after my son was born and lost 55 lbs in 6 months with no exercise, just eating healthy. but now I'm 5 yrs older and not as active(since i was in the navy then), so now its a lot harder to lose the weight. i have never used a heart rate monitor, so i guess i am a little unsure as to how to use it and have it help towards figuring calories burned and weight loss. i know i need to cut down my sugar, but 25g seems like not a lot(does that include fruit????). i don't like many fruits/veggies so the ones i do like, i eat them all of the time which can get old real quick. id love to get a vitamix but i don't have 600 bucks just laying around :/
  • courtney123180
    Options
    there are several of those sexypants posts. do you have any idea which one is the one you are recommending? thanks :)
  • krissyb2424
    Options
    About the sugar... Since we are gearing towards weight loss, we even want to watch the sugar from fruit. I'd say I average about 20-25g a day. Sometimes higher, some days as low as 8g.

A huge piece of advice that has changed my life- carbs/ sugar at night, high fat/ protein during the day so you don't get on the insulin rollercoaster and have much more energy during the day and no cravings. So I think some fruit at night is ok- and if you add it with some coconut or real organic heavy cream even better since it will slow down the sugar.

I know a lot of people here are focused on calories. I'm not going to say they don't matter, but I think life is easier if we eat food that doesn't cause cravings, and eat what our bodies want and give it high quality fuel. It's so important to eliminate chemical / processed junk. High carb food can cause sugar cravings too which is why it's helpful to keep carbs low. I'm trying to learn my craving trigger foods so I know to avoid those things. Ex- If I have msg at a Chinese restaurant I get really intense cravings. Also- if I do eat some,thing that triggers a binge- I find a smoothie with coconut oil/ flax seed really helpful.

When we eliminate every kind of 'fake' of food- suddenly we feel more balanced. Calorie counting is new, as is the obesity epidemic.

I'm just saying what's worked for me, of course you have to find your way.
  • courtney123180
    Options
    the 25g of sugar just doesn't seem like much. i know that looking at my key lime oikos greek yogurt that it has more than that in it :/
  • courtney123180
    Options
    thank you...i eventually found it myself though :)
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

For what it's worth, I am probably older and definitely shorter than you at 44 and 5'1" I have lost 44 lbs since my 43rd birthday by increasing my activity level and eating 1400-1600 plus half my exercise cals. Your TDEE is higher than mine- and, besides, why start with so low a goal that you have nothing to cut later? No need to be hangry! For me, I like higher protein and fat to help keep me full. I also ignore sugar from fruits and veggies - cause, yeah, mfp's number for that is super low :p