The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    That I would take up ½ as much space anywhere. Weird sitting in public places, I find I'm so far from the table in a booth!
    Crawling under desks to fix cables and stuff is doable.

You can find things to wear that are ideal.

Plus size catalogs keep coming even though you're too thin to fit in any of it!

You'll need a new wardrobe. Biggish clothes aren't flattering.

You'll have better stamina in activies.

and I'm borrowing the cold feet/hands as well water flushing frequently. It's a
    good thing to lose the toxins! :)
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    All about calorie deficits being the key
    It is easy to fall back into old habits but persisting will get you where you want
    It's a lifestyle change
    You can still enjoy foods you love within moderation
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot! There seem to be 2 types of clothes in the world. Matronly clothes for heavy women and slutty clothes for lighter women/girls. You have to get rather creative piecing together outfits between the women's section and the junior section just to get an outfit that is normal. Also, women aren't built like girls of the same size/weight. So clothes shopping becomes a real chore.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    That nothing beats knowing you can do it.

That losing weight is actual quite a basic equation, calories in calories out.

That people see you differently when you are thinner, I am no different, I just weigh less
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    that the saying "no pain, no gain" started because there are SO many pains.... pulled muscles, DOMS, so many aches, groans, new feelings, breaking in shoes, headaches, withdrawals (from caffeine or from low carb plans), hunger pains, etc.

Also, that it's mentally exhausting, not just physically exhausting. The mental side of things can be a killer. . .
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    About all the farting that occurs at the squat rack. And running gives you the best endorphin high ever.

Oh, and nobody told me how expensive it would be to replace all my clothes multiple times, even by shopping at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.
    Yeah. Nobody gives me a second look at the gym when a fart just happens on its own.

I went to the Hospice second hand store today a got a bag of clothes for $5.00. No kidding, they were having a sale, Handed me a large paper bag. I bought probably $150-$200 worth of nice well-kept clothes in my smaller size for five bucks and now I'm tickled pink.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever told me how weightlifting would shape my body. I have a waist now, which is something I didn't have when I was 12 or 16...or 20...or....never until now.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    That one could have so much energy from eating less food, than one has ever attempted their entire life.
    That one could become a source of so much inspiration to all in their life, including their boss
    That one can be so committed to a lifestyle in so short a time
    That what counts is never giving up, no matter how many times one tried in the past, because one day, one solitary, blissful day..something might just click.

Oh and never believe everything so called wise and smart people tell you..you may have caught them the day they are having a stoopid day.
    Never throw out or give away those small size clothes you bought 5yrs ago so you could be motivated to lose weight...You will one day need them.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    That it can sometimes be a huge mind *kitten*
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you were very heavy when you started, you will start discovering new body parts, and not all of them in a good way... you will no longer have the luxury of cushioning when you attempt to sit on hard surfaces.
  • carpe_vinum
    carpe_vinum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump - so we keep this going.
  • TheDoctorDonna10
    Options
    I just learned that a status I posted was what inspired this thread to begin with & I want to thank the OP for posting it. I also want to thank everyone who posted on here. I went through & read every single word & I feel SO much better.....my scale might even get to live now! You all have really helped me a lot & to the OP :flowerforyou: this was just what I needed today :happy:
  • ambience13
    ambience13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Its amazing how much more wonderful i feel after making new progress. I feel lighter, fitter, stronger, less flabby.

But when i gain 10lb back, it feels more disgusting than it did before i lost it. Motivation to keep it off i suppose.
    This. When I gain a few kg back, it always seems much more horrible than it did the first time I weighed that amount! Weird..
  • mrslstage
    mrslstage Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That it can sometimes be a huge mind *kitten*

OMG THIS!!! I've said it myself many times.

Also...sex is much different & better.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    That strength training is a real learning process. Nervous just learning proper form.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I didn't expect to like my body any more than I did before. I already liked it plenty and figured not much would change on that front....but it was a bit of a surprise that I've ended up liking it so much less.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's mostly mental.

That it takes time for your brain to catch up.

That you can arrive at your goal weight and be unhappy with what you see.

Similarly, that losing weight will not fix your self-esteem (mine got worse for awhile).

That maintenance can be harder than losing, at least at first.
  • dherburg
    dherburg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So much of what everyone has already said here--and not knowing how to accept compliments about how I look now, having some family members and friends make negative comments about my weight loss the same as they made negative comments when I was heavy (the realization that they are just critical), and that all these years I was overweight I thought that was the only reason I lacked self-confidence and it turns out it was just an excuse to hide behind. And even when all of that makes it hard, I am healthier, happier, have more energy, and will live a longer life with my husband and children then I would have.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot! There seem to be 2 types of clothes in the world. Matronly clothes for heavy women and slutty clothes for lighter women/girls. You have to get rather creative piecing together outfits between the women's section and the junior section just to get an outfit that is normal. Also, women aren't built like girls of the same size/weight. So clothes shopping becomes a real chore.

I agree with this, I thought I would love shopping more once I was out of plus size, but it really just made shopping overwhelming at first. Being 40 something and trying to find something age appropriate is tough.
  • gettingsexy94
    gettingsexy94 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    4. Your bowel movements are going to go nuts when you try to replace your "unhealthy" diet with a bunch of raw veggies and other distress causing items.

5. Increased water intake makes you pee. A lot.

^^This! Gosh! The peeing!