Runner, endurance rider, lifter - how much to eat?

Options
Hi there, folks,

I don't usually bother other people with silly questions - live and let live and all that. But since I know the Internet is a big place and there are folks from all walks of life here, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm specifically addressing runners, horseback riders and lifters, and if there is someone else who does all three of these activities, I'd be grateful for any nutritional advice.

Joined MFP a year ago, lost 29kg - 64 pounds, and now am pretty close to maintenance. I'm female, 24 years old, 171-2 cm tall, that's about 5f 7in. My current weight is 62kg - 137 pounds. I've had no real trouble losing the weight, nor figuring out how much to eat. I'm a fairly experienced hiker and an intermediate trail runner - been running for a year, nowadays logging in about 50 km = 30 miles weekly, most of it on trails. My average pace for 5-10k training runs is 5-5.6 min/km - I have no idea if that is considered slow or fast. My current weekly long runs are about 18-19km - 12 miles - long. I've had no trouble losing weight and improving my fitness level engaging in these activities, which I'm fairly familiar with, making it easier for me to guesstimate my calorie burn.

The thing is, I also managed to join an endurance riding club about two weeks ago, following a year of pretty non-strenuous basic horseback riding lessons, and now I ride endurance Arabians about 5x a week. We mostly do long trails rides, most of them in two-point, which can be quite exhausting. Also, the horses live on huge pastures, and we first have to go get them before each ride.

I've lost a fair bit of weight, and although I don't have much loose skin, I still feel flabby, and it seems to me I've lost some muscle in my upper body. I would like to become stronger and look better, and I intend to join a gym and start New Rules of Lifting for Women, lifting heavy 3x a week as recommended.

However, I'm confused concerning my daily caloric needs. I don't necessarily want to lose much more weight, but I do want to lose some cm/inches and lower my BF percentage, which is currently at about 25 percent. All of my disparate hobbies, however, leave me at a loss as to how much I should be eating. Do I follow the NRoLW recommendations and eat back the calorie burn from my running and riding? Do I maintain a deficit? Do I eat at maintenance? What would that be for someone like me, anyway? How much does riding horses burn, anyway? Should I trust online calculators on that one, since they seemed to work pretty well for me concerning running?

Awww, how do I coordinate all of these activities in an effective way?

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I am very active too. The MPF didn't have enough calories for maintenance for me so I went to TDEE and keep going up 100 calories a week until I stop losing weight beyond my goal.
  • YsanneIniss
    Options
    I guess going TDEE would account for all of these activities more easily, but, on the other hand, my routine is pretty flexible - I never quite know in advance how many km I'll run or how many horses I'll ride. Doesn't TDEE kind of rely on a set workout regimen?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

I've lost a fair bit of weight, and although I don't have much loose skin, I still feel flabby, and it seems to me I've lost some muscle in my upper body. I would like to become stronger and look better, and I intend to join a gym and start New Rules of Lifting for Women, lifting heavy 3x a week as recommended.

However, I'm confused concerning my daily caloric needs. I don't necessarily want to lose much more weight, but I do want to lose some cm/inches and lower my BF percentage, which is currently at about 25 percent. All of my disparate hobbies, however, leave me at a loss as to how much I should be eating. Do I follow the NRoLW recommendations and eat back the calorie burn from my running and riding? Do I maintain a deficit? Do I eat at maintenance? What would that be for someone like me, anyway? How much does riding horses burn, anyway? Should I trust online calculators on that one, since they seemed to work pretty well for me concerning running?

Awww, how do I coordinate all of these activities in an effective way?

There is a really good book by Matt Fitzgerald entitled "Racing Weight" that might by right up your endurance athlete needs. It's very instructive at allowing your body to settle in to a good racing weight, and how, when, and what to eat for the best athletic performance.
  • YsanneIniss
    Options
    Thanks, I will check out the book. :)
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So when I was younger I used to run... alot.

Maybe diet and fitness has changed a bit in the last 15 years or so but for me I was always faced with the running body or muscular body. The downside for me, opting for the runners body, was the lose skin that never wanted to tighten up. At the time, the only known solution was to put on some pounds of muscle but that carried with it a corresponding penalty in both weight and endurance. Having a muscular upper body, while attractive, was really just extra weight and body tissue demanding fuel during long runs in which strong biceps were of no help.

At that point in life I liked running, biking, snowboarding and martial arts. Being lean was advantageous to all of those so I just kept the loose skin and appreciated that I had the absolute best body for the things I loved to do.

Anyway, the moral of the story is you can change your body to most anything you want, but there are tradeoffs that come up.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Riding, especially at a fast pace English, is a lot of exercise. I know, when I was foxhunting twice a week ( 10-15 miles a day) and jumping once or twice a week, I could eat almost anything and still lose.
    The amount of weight carried in an endurance ride can really affect your horse so staying slim is an advantage.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi. I run, lift and worked with horses for around 15 years. I actually only gained weight when I stopped working with horses and went back to university to study. I have a racing background but have ridden endurance before and have several friends still actively competing and training.

You are going to have to experiment a little with your calorie requirements; you are def. eating below your energy needs if you are losing muscle mass from your upper body. This is the area you should be seeing muscle definition with the amount of riding and horse work you are doing at the moment!!!!

YES you should be eating back ALL calories burnt from running and riding. With all the trot work you are putting into training your horse you will probably find that the calorie burnt estimations are too low as well.... When I was riding track work; depending on the horse, one track gallop could be equal to the equivalent of a 5 km run calorie burn... ! 12 to 13 horses a morning = a huuuge energy requirement..

I would second the Racing Weight book as well! Take care of yourself; if you are feeling like you have no energy EAT! Falling off a horse because you faint is not much fun!